Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Those are very cool looking, I wish she had included a pic with the Kindle in it. I would love to hear your feedback.
How the fit is and how hard they are? Also if they can be folded back. I love etsy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Great, thanks for sharing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,324 Posts
Will be looking forward to your review.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Hi! I'm Sarah and I'm the one that makes those covers. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about them.

Some of you wanted to see what they look like with a Kindle in them. Here is a link to a blog entry where I posted a photo of my Kindle in the cover I made for myself. I used that cover as a pattern for all the others I've made:

http://pixiechick-sw.livejournal.com/195381.html

Someone asked how hard they are. They are pretty hard. I tend to be rough on electronics and I wanted to make something that could take being dropped and banged up. The front and back covers are like hard back books. The spines are actually more rigid than normal spines because they need to stand up to a lot of wear and tear. When a person first puts their Kindle in, it may not lay closed all the way because the spine is so rigid. I suggest keeping the Kindle in and when you aren't reading it, place the cover face down so the weight of the Kindle closes the cover all the way. Soon, the spine will get used to it and lay closed all the time. The alternative was to make a weaker spine and I didn't want to do that.

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I bought one of Sarah's covers last week. I really like her feminine but slightly steampunky taste. I found the spine perfectly flexible and it was just fine folded back all the way. It feels quite sturdy and the elastic bands hold the Kindle very securely.

Here is the cover closed, showing how it fits:


Here is the cover open and folded back:


This morning, I added the Crest skin:


But there is one thing that I don't love: There is a good amount of dried glue sticking out from underneath the top bookboard on the side where the Kindle is held. (I am not a crafter & I don't know what you'd do to avoid that.)


So I think this will be the cold-weather (or cool-weather) cover and I'll use something else when it starts getting hot here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
These are very pretty and out of the ordinary designs sarah! Good work! I also would not liek to see soem glue sticking so I guess you should make it more quality. I'll be looking forward for more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Wow! You got your cover fast! I think I mailed it yesterday--from Utah.

I never tried to fold the spine back all the way. I'm glad it works. For some reason I never thought about it. I'm going to try it with the one I made for me.

I'm happy you like it!

I agree with the glue stick stuff. I wish there was a way to get all of it off. Hot weather won't affect it at all, though. It needs to be at least 250 degrees F before there will be any melting or softening. You can use it in any weather.

Enjoy! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
SarahKW said:
Hi! I'm Sarah and I'm the one that makes those covers. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about them.

Some of you wanted to see what they look like with a Kindle in them. Here is a link to a blog entry where I posted a photo of my Kindle in the cover I made for myself. I used that cover as a pattern for all the others I've made:

http://pixiechick-sw.livejournal.com/195381.html

Someone asked how hard they are. They are pretty hard. I tend to be rough on electronics and I wanted to make something that could take being dropped and banged up. The front and back covers are like hard back books. The spines are actually more rigid than normal spines because they need to stand up to a lot of wear and tear. When a person first puts their Kindle in, it may not lay closed all the way because the spine is so rigid. I suggest keeping the Kindle in and when you aren't reading it, place the cover face down so the weight of the Kindle closes the cover all the way. Soon, the spine will get used to it and lay closed all the time. The alternative was to make a weaker spine and I didn't want to do that.

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them!
Your covers are nice, but your blog article bothered me. Please don't take this wrong as I mean it nicely as advice: insulting other covers (that many people love), and by extensionthose cover owners, may very will turn off any potential customers...

From the blog:

Really, the only Kindle covers out there right now are very sterile and corporate. A person would get one of those when they want to impress their friends with their fancy gadgets, or they don't care how things look and they just get what is available. I wanted to put some style into my Kindle because it is my reading sanctuary and it needs to be pretty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
It sound like she is talking about the standard cover and maybe the other available through Amazon. I do not think she is referring to companies like Oberon or even M-edge, which she was probably not aware of. I do not think anyone would ever call Oberon "Sterile and corporate" .... She is just expressing her dissatisfaction with what she thought was available and what is wrong with that, it is her opinion. If I just saw the few on Amazon, I might think the same thing.
I think her covers are certainly very unique and will appeal to a very artistic type of reader... it's all good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
It did get here fast, but not quite THAT fast - I ordered it 3/25 and it was here by 3/30

I wanted to show the front cover. (My husband is now suggesting that I buy a hat/outfit like the one on the left, because they are so completely awesome:


And also wanted to mention: I really like the feel of the material that you've used to wrap it. With the bookboards and that material, it really does make the experience like holding an actual, old, well-loved book.


Glad to know that the glue melting will not be a thing - although by August in the South, it sometimes feels like 250 degrees.

Anyway, I am enjoying and appreciating your work on this nice cool spring morning here in the mountains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
BNTN said:
It did get here fast, but not quite THAT fast - I ordered it 3/25 and it was here by 3/30

I wanted to show the front cover. (My husband is now suggesting that I buy a hat/outfit like the one on the left, because they are so completely awesome:


And also wanted to mention: I really like the feel of the material that you've used to wrap it. With the bookboards and that material, it really does make the experience like holding an actual, old, well-loved book.


Glad to know that the glue melting will not be a thing - although by August in the South, it sometimes feels like 250 degrees.

Anyway, I am enjoying and appreciating your work on this nice cool spring morning here in the mountains.
That is really beautiful and unique!

The hat would be prefect for Betsy's collection of mod hats. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
TM, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insult anyone in my blog. Octochick, that is exactly what I was talking about--just the standard covers from Amazon. I don't know all the others that are out there.

TM, I suppose I just meant, those Amazon covers don't serve my needs and I wanted something with more artistic appeal.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Hi Sarah and welcome!  I think I want one of these...going to check your website now...thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Octochick said:
It sound like she is talking about the standard cover and maybe the other available through Amazon. I do not think she is referring to companies like Oberon or even M-edge, which she was probably not aware of. I do not think anyone would ever call Oberon "Sterile and corporate" .... She is just expressing her dissatisfaction with what she thought was available and what is wrong with that, it is her opinion. If I just saw the few on Amazon, I might think the same thing.
I think her covers are certainly very unique and will appeal to a very artistic type of reader... it's all good.
Even if she was talking about the standard covers I am not sure that I can agree with the comment. There are reasons to have the standard cover. I use it because it is comfortable and honestly because it does blend in which since I bring it to work and I work in a very professional environment that makes the "sterile" cover the right cover. I have Oberon journals and a nice skin for my Kindle to allow me to express myself. My cover does not speak for me. To suggest that because I have opted for the standard cover that I just want to impress my friends with my fancy gadgets or don't care about how things look is kind of insulting. I don't honestly care what someone I don't know thinks but the generalization is a bit annoying.

That being said. I think her covers are quite nice :)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top