Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share my first attempt at knitting and felting a Kindle Kozy. I have a 3 year old and I often have crumbs in my bag that I don't want to get in my Kindle. So, I made something to put the Kindle in (with it's cover on) when I take it with me. I wanted it to be lengthwise so that I could open it and recharge while it's in the Kozy, but the felting didn't work out that way. It was also a bit too big, so I had to trim down the flap a bit. All in all, I love the colors, and it's very functional. After I get my Tego skin I'm going to knit another one in matching colors and modify the pattern so it is lengthwise and a little tighter fitting.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
This is absolutely stunning!!  I'm a knitter and know great work when I see it.... and this is terrific!!  Kudos to you!!!!  You need to go into business.... but having a 3 yr old might affect that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
What yarn did you use? 

and, are you a Raveller? (I am!) 

I'm about to try to crochet myself a bag for my Kindle. I'm going to be using an acrylic, so no felting for me. (allergic to wool) I'm probably going to line my Kindle bag with fabric.  I can knit, but I've crocheted a lot longer than I've been able to knit. (crocheted for over 30yrs now, only knitted the last 2 1/2yrs) so if I want my Kindle bag to be finished anytime soon, I need to crochet it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Crocheting is fun!  But, then so is knitting.  I think it's the yarn that usually makes things fun. Neat to see how a project grows, whether you're using two sticks or one hook.

I use the same user name on Rav that I use here. 

I need to choose what color yarn I want to make my Kindle bag out of, and decide if I want to use some sort of pattern, or if I want to just start crocheting and see what I end up with.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've thought about selling them if I got the pattern perfected. :) I already have an Etsy shop, so it wouldn't be too tough! Oh, and Erin I used Cascade 220. Too bad about your allergies! I think someone posted pictures of their crochet Kindle cover on the "Yarnies" group here on Kindle Boards... I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Panjo said:
I've thought about selling them if I got the pattern perfected. :) I already have an Etsy shop, so it wouldn't be too tough! Oh, and Erin I used Cascade 220. Too bad about your allergies! I think someone posted pictures of their crochet Kindle cover on the "Yarnies" group here on Kindle Boards... I'll see if I can find it.
Panjo...you'll have to excuse my ignorance because I'm not a knitter, but my Mom is. We both have kindles and she would like to copy your idea. She wanted me to ask if you used a pattern?
I love what you did!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
That cozy is truly gorgeous!  I've crocheted a few cozys myself but I've never felted one.  I've wanted to, but I'm usually too impatient to crochet bigger than I need and I'm not too fond of wool.  Yours is easily sellable!  I've thought about selling mine, but it takes so long to make one that it wouldn't be worth it.  Even using bulky weight yarn, it takes a couple of dedicated hours to crank one out.  How much is my time worth and how much would someone pay for this?????  However, it's really fun and satisfying to create something beautiful that is also useful too.  Thanks for sharing so we can appreciate it too.  And let us know if you plan to crank them out! 

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, I think you definitely have to calculate your time. I think crocheting one would be so much faster, plus with felting you really don't see the pattern of the knit/crochet after it's all done, KWIM?

RB, I just kinda made it up. :) Basically I cast on enough stitches to make it wide enough (I think it might have been 30) then knit for about 5 or 6 rows. Then I picked up stitches all around the edge (5 on the side, 30 more on the back, and 5 on the other side) then knit in the round until it got tall enough. Then I bound off 40 stitches, and continued to knit the flap (knit one row, purl one row... but really I think you could just knit all rows) playing with various decreases along the way.

The nice thing about felting is that once you're done, you can cut it if it's not working. Like I totally cut the flap to make it smaller.

Next one I make I'm going to keep track of the pattern. Sorry it's so vague!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Panjo said:
yeah, I think you definitely have to calculate your time. I think crocheting one would be so much faster, plus with felting you really don't see the pattern of the knit/crochet after it's all done, KWIM?

RB, I just kinda made it up. :) Basically I cast on enough stitches to make it wide enough (I think it might have been 30)
then knit for about 5 or 6 rows. Then I picked up stitches all around the edge (5 on the side, 30 more on the back, and 5 on the other side) then knit in the round until it got tall enough. Then I bound off 40 stitches, and continued to knit the flap (knit one row, purl one row... but really I think you could just knit all rows) playing with various decreases along the way.

The nice thing about felting is that once you're done, you can cut it if it's not working. Like I totally cut the flap to make it smaller.

Next one I make I'm going to keep track of the pattern. Sorry it's so vague!
Thank you! That all went way over my head, but I'm sure my Mother will totally understand!

·
Registered
58 Posts
WOW! I want one!!!!  I have dabbled with crochet before, but never been able to do something like that!  Is there anyway you could walk a beginner through making one?  I know it wont turn out nearly as beautiful as yours... but I too need something more functional than anything, as my kindle appears to be growing fur of the dog variety.  Thanks for any advice!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.