Kindle Forum banner

When you are hand writing something, which style of writing do you use?

• Cursive

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • Print

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Combination

Votes: 67 59.8%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I spent part of the afternoon in a meeting to discuss cursive writing. There was a lot of talk about whether or not cursive was a dying art form. I know that the readers of this forum are a well-read and intelligent bunch, so I wondered what your feelings are on the subject. Thanks for your help and input!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I combine both too! Sort of like the Kindle boards banner....

·
Registered
323 Posts
I also combine both most often. If I'm actually writing a letter though (how often do any of us do that these days) it's always cursive. Lists and notes are another story it's a combo of print, cursive, and my own form of shorthand.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am a combiner also. My handwriting has always been terrible and it seems the older I get (44) the worse it is and I seem to be using less cursive.
I think is is also one of those "if you don't use it you lose it" types of things. I hardly ever write by hand anymore except for a quick and short note to self. I don't write checks by hand anymore and even put the grocery list in the PDA. Handwriting is really becoming a lost art.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Like most I combine the two - but it is more likely that the first letter tends to be printed (especially if it's capitalized) and the rest is cursive.  There are some letters that are a hybrid since they never looked good to me in my cursive hand (r is an example).  I don't know if you would call it connected printing or broken cursive but it is something like that.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Okay I'm trying to remember, so if I'm wrong I apologize.

In elementary school they made us write in cursive because that is the only thing we would be allowed to use in middle school (at least that's what they told us, I don't remember this being the case.)

Now years later (not that much later, I just turned 25) I could not think of asking some of my students to write in cursive, I can barely read their print and I teach high school. Oh my. The computer age is upon us.

·
Registered
244 Posts
LSbookend said:
Okay I'm trying to remember, so if I'm wrong I apologize.

In elementary school they made us write in cursive because that is the only thing we would be allowed to use in middle school (at least that's what they told us, I don't remember this being the case.)

Now years later (not that much later, I just turned 25) I could not think of asking some of my students to write in cursive, I can barely read their print and I teach high school. Oh my. The computer age is upon us.
I know what you mean. My sister's kid's writing is horrendous. They are 23 - 18 years old and I don't think they ever really had to write anything for school. But they did have to take "keyboarding" when they were in grade school. Isn't like teaching them to use the graphing calculator before they can do it on paper. Oh, wait they did that too! ::)

When I was growing up all my papers until college where had written. And they better be legible or else you would loose points.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have to do a lot of writing at work where it needs to be legable.  I like to print almost everything, except my initials.  I've been mostly printing since school, when some teachers required us to use cursive.  I don't like a lot of cursive letters, like 'r' and 's', so I avoid it most of the time.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I print. My cursive is awful. Heck, my printing is barely legible. I have some fine motor skill issues and dysgraphia. By the time I was in Junior High my teachers had me typing my answers for exams on the computer.

My mother attempted to improve my handwriting by enrolling me in calligraphy and teaching me needle point. I can't say it made much of a difference.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
My cursive has always been horrible and I use a mixture, if I want someone else to read it, or even myself.  My DH on the other hand has absolutely picture perfect cursive and wouldn't know how to print.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
My cursive is good, my printing is good.  I like printing better, I started using it for note taking in college because it forced me to think about what was important when I was taking notes.

My husband can only print in caps or do cursive.  The small letter font was not installed, apparently.  ;D

Betsy

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My handwriting has not changed since elementary school along with my signature!  ;D ....... seriously though.  :-\ :-\ :-\

·
Registered
426 Posts
The only thing I do in cursive is sign my name.  I print everything else.  If I try to write in cursive it looks like an 8 year old did it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I do a combination.  I've never actually studied my handwriting long enough to see if I have a pattern or if I use cursive or print with certain words or letters.  If I'm writing something for my 5.5 year old DS to copy though I use all print.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My Spanish teacher in high school showed us a letter from her family in Columbia (the country) and I remember the handwriting being super neat. I believe she said they spend more time in school on handwriting then we do.

I print and my handwriting depends upon my mood on how fast I'm writing, oh and if I'm putting it on the board for my students.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts