Kindle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is never a feeling quite like starting a new book. The sun is shining (it's really not), the wildlife are bouncing around to a Disney-esque tune and each word your hammer out in the first two thousand feels golden. This, you feel, is the book that will tear up the space/time continuum with its sheer brilliance and you chuckle to yourself at each one liner and gasp at the sheer ingenuity of the plot machinations you have yo to come. Without even knowing it, you're are selling more (well, giving away free) books on Amazon as if the public has realised that you are on the cusp of greatness and want to be with all of the cool kids by appreciating you when you were 'underground'. The reason I write this is because you will all have the same feeling no matter how many books you have written and it is a reminder to those starting their first not to let the feeling die. About 20,000 words in, syntax ossifies, every line sounds like a cliche and you are disgusted by the temerity you have thinking that someone will read this tripe. The sun hides, animals become rabid and you have a feeling that you will be arrested for crimes against fiction.

So this is a reminder - to myself in a few months if not to anyone else - that there was a reason that you started this venture and the 'Naked in the Wilderness with Bear Grylls and a penknife' agony will eventually subside for you to make something to be proud of.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Happy new book day!  :D

I'm editing right now, so maybe someday I will get back to these good times you describe.  Except for maybe being with the cool kids.  Everything else sounds lovely.

But seriously, I'm glad that you are having an awesome adventure with your work!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts