Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Das Experiment: (I know that's a really disturbing movie about psychological torture settings, but rest assured that is not today's topic.. :p )

I bought a KB banner ad for $40 with the same mind-set as a lot of people---that even if it didn't work, I love the Kindle Boards and get so much free info here, so it's a happy donation even without an increase :)

But there WAS a positive effect!

I didn't break even on the ad, because of a price drop I tied to the banner..but it was still worth it!

As for the temporary price drop---I guess it comes from my background planning promotions and one-day Doorcrasher specials for the Canadian Tire flyer (you may need to Google that if you're not Canadian...but it's the biggest Canadian retailer...which DOES sell more than tires ;) ). Because of this background I decided to create a sense of urgency, and so the third slide in the "animated gif" banner said "Only 99 cents until July 1st".

So results:

-Normally I sell 1 or 2 books a day in these slow June times, mixed in with some days of none at all. Before my banner placement my ranking was around 41,000. After the banner ad ended?

· Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #9,696 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
· #4 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Humor > Parodies
· #29 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Humor > Essays

So yeah, I think it had some effect! ;D

I sold 15 books in that one-day period, or almost 15 times more what I normally sell...I'm thinking it was banner and "limited time" sale-related, but since I don't know other people's results by simply advertising the book and no price drop, I'm not sure.

Needless to say, that's 15 more people who now own my book, which may result in a review, may result in some good word of mouth...who knows but it's all connected!

And I'm glad I did it, even though things will tumble downward from here ;D

Anyhooters, I just wanted to share my experience to anyone who's curious about going this route.

(and the book's still on sale for 99 cents until tomorrow...WHAT A DEAL! :p)

Toodlepip! And HEY: HAPPY CANADA DAY for tomorrow, to all my fellow Canuckians! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yay, Romi!
That is terrific news. I know what you mean about wanting to support the boards, so the sales may be icing on the cake, but isn't frosting the best part?
And, BTW, what are you eating in that hysterical photo? Something Canadian??
Congrats,
Cidney

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Tell me, Romi, why don't the Canadians spell it tyre?  I thought they used mostly British English.  Not so?

Gordon Ryan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Romi - that's great news!!! Not just for you but also because I signed up for one of those banners and was wondering what kind of results people were seeing... ;D
Enjoy the fireworks tomorrow, my fellow Canuck.

Kathleen

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Good going, Romi! I had a similar bump when mine ran last week. And, like Cidney, I know exactly what you mean about not caring about getting back the outlay. This place has been such a mind of information, thanks to so many good people here, that I'm happy to support it/donate to it, and get a little extra boost for my books.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Romi, your writing style, even in these posts, slays me!  :D I am picking up your book. I know I'm going to love it...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@cidney that photo was taken during the 2010 Winter Olympics hosted by Vancouver, where Canada went on to win the most gold medals of any country that year (I know, kind of a big deal! ;D ); the last gold medal competition was for the most important one (hockey gold), and for that party I made lemon-flavoured gold medal cookies with the olympic logo painted on with icing (I know, kind of a big deal! ;D ), then I pierced a hole through each cookie so I could tie on a blue sash so we could wear them like actual medals...then eat them after they won ;D . By the way, our plan B if Canada lost was to throw the cookies off the roof and watch them smash into pieces as we cried :'( Luckily we didn't have to go that route! ;)

@Gordon, that's an excellent question, given that we've adopted all manner of other British English..I suppose we just chose to stay rogue in this regard ;)

@Dara thank you! :)

@Kathleen good luck with your upcoming ad my fellow canuck, and Happy Canada Day to you! ;D

@Andrew
I know! This place truly is great; that's another reason why I wanted to share my results; to potentially encourage others to book a spot and support the boards ;D PS: glad it worked for you too!

@Rebecca I really hope the book makes you laugh, thanks!! ;D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The double shot of deals - banner w/ price drop - is great.  That happened to me last weekend.  In the Corner was a book of the day on a site and the price was lowered to $0.99.  Sold six copies of the book PLUS people went and bought other copies of my other books (another score!). 

Great job!  Keep writing! :)

-jb 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts