Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a case that would protect my kindle 2 a variety of life's big-bada-booms, some of which have been mentioned on the forums-- errant knees, elbows, drops onto tile or concrete, and Kindles sharing backpacks with bowling balls (OK, I haven't heard that last one yet). So, here's one person's attempt at a Kindle 2 hard case...

(Disclaimer-- although the case seems plenty strong to be elbow and knee resistant, I haven't had the case long enough to have any big-bada life events to test it with. So we're still operating on theory here. ;) )

Platt makes a double walled, blow molded case that seems to work nicely as a hard case for the Kindle 2 and its cover. The case has a strong latch and comes with a layer of "cubed foam" for easy customization. (The case can be found online. One site, CSN, has it for $23 and free shipping.)

The Platt 206 case (pictured below) has external dimensions: 2 1/4" H x 10 1/2" W x 7" D and internal dimensions: 1 15/16" H x 9 1/2" W x 6" D. It has 3 layers of foam; the middle, customizable layer is 3/4" thick...

Which is really cool, because the Kindle 2 inside of the Amazon cover is 3/4" thick as well.

It was a pretty simple matter to modify the case-- cut the cubed foam to provide a 3/4" x 3/4" strip of foam along the top and bottom of the case (since there's 1.5" of free space in the 9 1/2" dimension) and two 3/8" x 1/4" strips of foam along the hinge side of the case. A little glue to hold the foam in place and it was done-- we're left with a nice Kindle 2 sized cavity.

Pictures:

Case closed...

Walt C.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Really nice find Walt.

I might consider this for on road trips and in other situations where major protection (beyond a cover) is needed.

Eric

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Linda, Eric, DawnofChaos,
Thanks for the kind words. I hope it can help someone avoid a wounded Kindle.

DawnofChaos,
Yes the latch and hinge are very secure. I can't think of any way that the sides could get hit that the latch would pop open. I have similar types of latches on two wrench tool kit cases and the latches are very sturdy and have never popped open on their own.

You can see the latch pretty clearly in this picture:

If you manually pull the bottom of the latch outward from the side of the case, it unsnaps fairly easy.
However the plastic's pretty strong-- any blow against the side of the case or anything which has the effect of pulling the top half away from the bottom half would have a very strong D-shaped piece of plastic fighting against it. (I hope that makes sense the way I said it.)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Looks nice and strong,  I'm sure it would be great for traveling.  The foam inside looks great and it's the first one I've seen that has that much cushion.  Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That case definitely looks solid, if nothing else. I don't know if I would need that amount of "armor", but it's pretty cool in any case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts