Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reviews seem to be hard come by from readers, so I am over the moon that I got a 5 star review on Survival Instinct today in the UK. Just saying because it is a bit of a chicken and egg scenario, as it can be a contributing factor for some readers making decisions to buy (or not) and yet they seem to be so few and far between lately. It was 3 months since a reader last left a review.

Are you finding reviews hard come by.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
90% of my reviews have come from the general public.  Each time I find one - I should say each time I sense one because I always seem to sense it - I am delighted and grateful.  Most of them are four and five stars but there is the occasional  one star with a little nastiness thrown in but it is all part of the game and I get over it pretty quickly.

Hooray for readers who leave reviews!

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Consuelo Saah Baehr said:
90% of my reviews have come from the general public. Each time I find one - I should say each time I sense one because I always seem to sense it - I am delighted and grateful. Most of them are four and five stars but there is the occasional one star with a little nastiness thrown in but it is all part of the game and I get over it pretty quickly.

[/quote]

I second that

·
Registered
547 Posts
I hardly ever get reviews for my small press stuff, despite my efforts, and my self pub stuff is shaping up to be the same way. I am so envious (in a good way, not a backstabby way) when other books get lots of reviews!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I used to get frustrated by how bad the ratio of sales:reviews is on Amazon, but then I think about how much stuff I've bought from there over the years, how many books, movies and videogames, and how many times I've been compelled to leave a review. Hardly ever. I think I've only left a review if it's something I felt was spectacular, but was barely and unfairly represented as far as feedback went. I don't know if the books that have a ton of reviews are part of a "I'll scratch your back" thing where everyone's reviewing each other - which is fine if that's how you want to play it - but it just seems like a sheer numbers game; frustrating, but just how it is.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Congrats on the review. I find that I get more reviews by requesting them from reviewers but yes, I also get some from plain old readers and those are exciting. Funnily enough, I'm always more nervous about typical reader reviews than those from book bloggers. I think part of me hopes book bloggers will be merciful because they got the review copy free. Regular readers paid hard cash for it though, so if they hate it they're less likely to pull any punches. Er, um, not that I need punches pulled of course...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts