Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
sherylb said:
I just bought these and checked them out. Formatting is OK, but I'm suspicious because they don't appear to have any copyright information or any of the usual spiel that ebooks have, nor do they have a cover page. So, are they legal copies? What do you think?
I just downloaded the sample of Half Blood Prince and as others have noted, there is no cover or copyright page, etc. My suspicion is that someone has managed to illegally upload the book to the Amazon catalog and it will be removed in a matter of hours. Who knows how the money will shake out. Personally, I am not going to invest $3.12 in buying this book because I think it is probably not legal. That's my opinion...

L

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
That was my guess too. If I were at home, I'd contact Amazon about it.
I did contact Amazon. They are aware of this and "leadership is looking into it." That's a direct quote. Take from it what you will...I don't think this is an authorized book that is for sale.

L

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
Elijsha said:
but if you like potter why not just buy it? seems like a nice price, they cant take it back can they? an if they do wont you get a refund?
It would seem to me that if it is an illegal copy, it could vanish from your Kindle when you turn your Whispernet on, and you won't get a refund of your $3.12. Of course, that's just my speculation, who knows what will really happen.

L

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
You can no longer buy these two books (they are listed as "not yet available") which I suspect is an interim step to removing the catalog entries completely. It seems that, as many of of us suspected, these were illegal copies which posted illegally.

L

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
stevene9 said:
Well, it looks like I may have to give a very humble apology. My insistence that Amazon would never allow an illegal copy to get uploaded to their system may be wrong. I no longer see the JKR Kindle books on the Amazon site. I don't know how someone could have done this (I even got the normal email from Amazon listing the purchase and charges). I'm stumped.

Steve
Amazon has a process where independent authors and publishers can register as publishers and use the Amazon DTP tools to publish their books in Kindle versions. I am a publisher. I needed to sign lots of paperwork (specifically saying I wouldn't upload illegal stuff, among other requirements), provide them with a Tax ID# and various other requirements. It wasn't a cinch, but it wasn't impossible, either.

One of the plusses of this program is that it allows small, indie authors and publishers to make their work available to readers without having to go through the obstacle-filled process required by traditional publishers. Many of the authors here that people are reading and really enjoy -- Jeff Hepple, Mike Hicks, Al Past -- have all brought their books to the Kindle platform through the Amazon DTP process. Personally, I think it is great thing and very glad it is available.

I certainly hope this bozo with the Harry Potter stunt hasn't ruined it for the rest of us.

L

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
Harvey said:
I'm not sure I t understand how that could get into the Amazon catalog, though. Are authors (or pirates, for that matter) allowed to self-publish anything without going through a review process with Amazon?
When you agree to be a publisher, you sign a bunch of documents which say you will be honest and not publish stuff you do not have the e-rights to. I don't think there is an a priori review process; rather, if something is found to be in violation, it gets pulled and the offender gets punished. Let's hope whoever pulled this Harry Potter stunt gets the book thrown at him.

L

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
Trekker said:
That's what I find surprising. Amazon needs to re-evaluate their process that allows pirates to post bootleg books for sale. Someone dropped the ball big time and if they don't fix this problem, they better be prepared for major lawsuits, which will affect us all. :(
Obviously, they (Amazon) took the position that they believe most people are honest and ethical and will follow the rules. I think the boon has been to readers who have been able to benefit from books that they might never have had access to otherwise. I really hope this HP episode doesn't ruin things for the folks who have been doing the right thing.

L

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
stevene9 said:
Another thing I don't get. We are being charged by the normal Amazon pay system. Anyone who did this must know that it would be quickly found out and that Amazon would never pay them. This still makes no sense to me.

Steve
Has anyone ever suggested that crooks are smart? LOL

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
Kristena said:
Trivia here: Bezos's wife lived next door to me when she was a child and I used to babysit her and her two brothers!
Do you still have any connections? Do you think you could talk to her and find out:

1. When version 2 is coming out?
2. When eink will be in color?
3. When there will be an international version?
4. When people can read books from the library?
5. What's the long term policy on $9.99 pricing?
6. When there will be full fledged PDF support?
7. When we can read Sony books on the Kindle?
8. When Sony owners can read Kindle books on their Sonys?

Give me a few minutes, I am sure I'll think of a few more questions....

L

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
Xia said:
Hi everyone,
I don't know if this was already posted (and if it was I apologize for the duplication). But, for future reference, at the bottom of every Kindle book listing is the feedback section, and it says this:

Feedback
If you need help or have a question for Customer Service, contact us.
Would you like to report this content as inappropriate? Click here
Do you believe that this item violates a copyright? Click here
Is there any other feedback you would like to provide? Click here

So, if you suspect a Kindle book violates a copyright you can alert amazon with a couple of mouse clicks rather than having to send an email or call them up.

-X-
Thanks, Xia! Good reminder, thanks for posting.

L

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
Folks,

A couple of comments:

1. We do not allow discussions of piracy or hacking; posting of websites to obtain illegal copies, etc. Now, in this particular circumstance we seem to have an unusual situation in that appears someone posted illegal copies of two very popular books on the Amazon website. Sharing that information in what I assume was an innocent gesture is not the same as saying, "here's how to strip the DRM off Kindle books." No one here is accusing the OP of any wrongdoing, given the circumstances.

2. Amazon has since removed the books from its catalog and they are no longer for sale.

3. People who bought the books can take whatever action they feel is appropriate, on an individual basis. Asking for advice, is appropriate, too, since we ask for and share lots of advice on all sorts of topics.

4. Telling people they are right -- or wrong -- for what they decide to do is not necessarily helpful. Please see number 3.

5. Remember that we do not allow personal attacks here at Kindleboards. Posts may be modified or deleted.

6. I've alerted Betsy, moderator of this board, to the exchanges in this thread. If action needs to be taken, she'll do so in consultation with admin.

EDIT: 5:02 pm: It appears that I am the only admin online. Since I have received a few PMs, I have deleted the messages that I considered questionable and containing personal attacks. They are in the "holding bin" so when the rest of the admin gang comes back, they can review them and see if they agree/disagree with what I have done. In the meantime, I'll ask again, let's keep it civil. This is an interesting issue and I think it can be discussed calmly and politely. Thanks. LHN

In the meantime, please try to tone it down, okay? I actually think the discussion has been interesting since this is the first time (I am aware of) a "famous" book being pirated in the Amazon catalog itself. Future implications are both intriguing and worrisome and I am interested in hearing different viewpoints on the issue.

Thanks,

Leslie
Global Mod

· Premium Member
19,503 Posts
stevene9 said:
Leslie,

I may have missed a few of the posts, but I thought this was a very good discussion. The books were posted on the Amazon site so I think the benefit of any doubt should go to them being legit. A few people brought up reasons why they might be illegal, and then everyone jumped in to try to figure it out (including notifying Amazon). I didn't read every single post, but I, for one, really thought they were legal and defended my position until evidence started to prove otherwise. As I said, maybe there was a nasty post I missed, but I really thought this whole thing is the way it should be discussed. I certainly don't think the thread should have been stopped, because we, collectively, managed to figure it out. I think it was a very legitimate and helpful, discussion.

Steve
I agree completely, Steven, and just deleted some posts which were a bit more personal in tone and comment. I think the larger discussion still stands and is still relevant and nothing has been lost with the posts that I removed.

This is a very interesting issue and clearly a first. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

L

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.