Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon, I was sitting in the Ansley Mall Starbucks, with Carrie and the girls.

My wife joined me, and as she sat down she whispered excitedly, "Look! She's got a Kindle!" A woman nearby was reading on her Kindle.

Carrie badgered me, until I relented and walked over to her table. (I'm sure Kindle owners get tired of being continually interrupted while they're trying to read!)

It turns out she was delighted to show me her Kindle. She had about 50 books loaded on it.

First impressions: these are a lot smaller than I thought, from looking at the promotional pictures of them. That was a nice surprise. The digital ink is, well, everything it's knocked up to be. And it is so amazingly light!

I realize I am many months behind a lot of you. But this was a really exciting day for me. I cannot wait to claim my own!! Here's a pic I snapped with my cell phone:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for sharing the picture, Harvey. Your girls are very pretty and,
they have hair!
Seriously, I would like to hear the story of how you started a board dedicated to a device you didn't even own! Entrepreneur? Unfulfilled interest? Glutton for punishment? :D Keep us up on your adventure, please.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She had not heard of KindleBoards, but she said she'd check us out. I hope she does.

I know, it is ironic that I've had this board for a year and do not own one yet. I registered the KindleBoards domain name on November 26, 2007 - the same week that Amazon announced the 'Kindle' name. As someone who loves books, and loves gadgets, the Kindle really intrigued me from the start.

I installed the forum here, and my daughter Celeste and I romped in here for a bit, with a few people who dropped by from time to time. But at the same time, I was nurturing a Zune forum, which is now in the top 2-3 Zune sites, so that was requiring a lot of my time. And I put off my Kindle purchase for budget reasons - we're a one-income family and for some crazy-headed reason, my wife - normally very loving and level-headed - categorized Kindle as a 'discretionary' purchase. What's up with that? :)

All was quiet in the forums, until October 27, when the doors got kicked in by a raving band of passionistas, recently escaped from the official Amazon forums. Now, these forums are happening and I'm giving it the attention it deserves.

And, my wife has dropped many hints that I'll be seeing a Kindle under our Christmas tree this year.

I cannot wait. It's been a long time coming. Thanks for helping to make this happen for me.  

·
Registered
135 Posts
Harvey, thank you for doing this.  You are the best.  I complain that I have to wait 3 months for my Kindle and you have waited a year.  I'm glad you got to hold your first Kindle, but I seriously thought you got your Christmas present early!!!  Oh well, still a fun moment.

Have a great Thanksgiving and thanks for all you do for us here.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
What a great day you had, seeing and holding a Kindle for the first time! It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Thanks for the dedication and hard work for Kindleboards. I love it here!  :) BTW your girls are beautiful. You made BJ cry, didn't realize he was a sensitive guy.  ;D

Linda

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
What an exciting day for you Harvey!! Glad you finally got to see your first Kindle. I saw my first one when it arrived at my doorstep!!

G

·
I'm really glad you finally got to see one in person, Harvey. We have our fingers crossed that Santa will put one under your tree.

And everyone, don't mind Jim, he gets this way from time to time. Usually it takes watching certain movies or reading Watership Down.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
We will send you the deminsion of the kindle box so you can attempt to figure out which box under the tree is your kindle!
Enjoyed your comment, Vegas_Asian. I was LOL!

Yeah, Harvey! Finally a chance to hold and see the Kindle "up-close and personal" to steal a phrase. What a great treat. Hopefully, with the above information, you'll know which present to open up first ;) :D

Marci

1 - 20 of 37 Posts