Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we click on the books or the Kindle or the Amazon gift card, or any advertisement at the bottom of this website and then go to Amazon and purchase our items, do you get a profit...kind of like the Oprah kick-back she will recieve?

If so, it would be in this board's interest for all of us to purchase all of our books through here so you can make the profit. You put a lot of hard work into this board and it is the most helpful and knowledgeable board about Kindle out there and that way we help you by you helping us. I will buy all of my books this way if so.

PS...if anyone is 'challenged' like I am...at the bottom right of the books are left and right arrows...you click on those for a carosel affect. I read where Harvey said the books turn but for the life of me couldn't figure out why they wouldn't turn for me...LOL

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Yes, that is correct - although "making a profit" may be an overstatement.  :)

The links at the bottom of the forum page are affiliate links. So are some of the Amazon links inside the forum threads. (I say 'some', because I've noticed quite a few of the best-selling books are exempt from Amazon's affiliate program.)

The site gets a small affiliate payment from Amazon if we click on those links and then make a purchase. The affiliate rates are 4% to 6% depending on volume of sales - with the exception being a purchase of a Kindle itself, which is a 10% payment through a current promotion from Amazon.

Like most affiliate programs, the price that you pay doesn't change. It's Amazon's way of 'rewarding' us through the affiliate program for putting their products on our pages.

It's a little thing, but I think that it eventually will cover hosting fees, web statistics subscription, and miscellaneous expenses with running the site.

That being said, I don't want the ads to be obtrusive or too distracting. And don't feel honor-bound to use the affiliate links - they are there for your convenience and will probably be most used by 'drop-in' visitors who find us accidentally through Google. You regular visitors are already doing enough to keep these forums hopping!

- Harvey

·
Registered
829 Posts
I never realized that!!  I'll most definitely use your links to buy from now on! I love this board and anything I can do to help keep it going - I'll gladly do!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can we click on the books and go to the amazon store and you get credit for any book purchase, or do we have to only buy the books that are being advertised in the carosel?

I will definatly go through this site for my book buying also Kirsten.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Kirstin said:
I never realized that!! I'll most definitely use your links to buy from now on! I love this board and anything I can do to help keep it going - I'll gladly do!!
Considering the costs of owning a board...heck yeah.

Ok, are my eyes playing tricks on me??? I know I'm tired and all but I could have sworn I saw a thing for Decalgirl instead of the book carousel ;-p

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
^ Yes, I have the forum footer rotating through some different affiliate links. If you want to see the carousel, try refreshing the page a few times (View > Refresh) and it will pop up.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Harvey said:
^ Yes, I have the forum footer rotating through some different affiliate links. If you want to see the carousel, try refreshing the page a few times (View > Refresh) and it will pop up.
Good to know that I'm not losing my mind....YET.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
sailor said:
Can we click on the books and go to the amazon store and you get credit for any book purchase, or do we have to only buy the books that are being advertised in the carosel?

I will definatly go through this site for my book buying also Kirsten.
I think the way it works is, if you click on a KindleBoards link to go to Amazon, and you don't purchase that item, but if you end up purchasing another item in that same visit, the KindleBoards site still gets an affiliate payment from that sale. Which is pretty good! :)

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Shizu said:
Is it only for the books or for anything from Amazon if you go to Amazon from here?
I believe it's for any purchase on Amazon - books, electronics, anything except for their 3rd-party sellers.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Kirstin said:
Chynda - SURE you are!! bwahahahaha!!
LOL, felt like I was losing my mind today at DD's school. It was picture day and there was mass chaos in the auditorium. I holed myself up in the PTA office finding things to do :p

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Oh, I just bought something from Amazon... If I knew, I would of go from here.  ;)  Next time I will.  :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
chynared21 said:

Ok, are my eyes playing tricks on me??? I know I'm tired and all but I could have sworn I saw a thing for Decalgirl instead of the book carousel ;-p
Glad you're not losing your mind, chyna because I would have been losing my mind, too. I couldn't get the books to pop up for a while, and was very disappointed in that.

Thanks Harvey for the tip on how to get them to come up!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Harvey said:
Yes, that is correct - although "making a profit" may be an overstatement. :)

That being said, I don't want the ads to be obtrusive or too distracting. And don't feel honor-bound to use the affiliate links - they are there for your convenience and will probably be most used by 'drop-in' visitors who find us accidentally through Google. You regular visitors are already doing enough to keep these forums hopping!

- Harvey
I like the changing books at the bottom (not sure about the other links)! I love browsing at bookstores, electronic or brick-and-mortar. :)

My problem is that when I click on a book, I don't get a full page on Amazon. I just get a 1/4 of a page. I don't know if it's because I'm technically challenged (probably) or something else.

B

·
0 Posts
Harvey: Thanks for adding the Kindle Boards pic to my post in "What are you reading now?"  If you'll post somewhere how to do that (rather than linking directly to the Kindle store, as I had done), I'll do it myself from now on.  Or PM me, so I don't lose the instructions.  Thanks.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Eclectic Reader said:
I like the changing books at the bottom (not sure about the other links)! I love browsing at bookstores, electronic or brick-and-mortar. :)

My problem is that when I click on a book, I don't get a full page on Amazon. I just get a 1/4 of a page. I don't know if it's because I'm technically challenged (probably) or something else.
Hmm, not sure about that. It should open a new browser window (or browser tab) with the Amazon page. Is it attempting to do that, or is it trying to open up the Amazon page overtop of the KindleBoards page?

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Harvey: Thanks for adding the Kindle Boards pic to my post in "What are you reading now?" If you'll post somewhere how to do that (rather than linking directly to the Kindle store, as I had done), I'll do it myself from now on. Or PM me, so I don't lose the instructions. Thanks.
Thank you, Jim! I'm trying to figure out a way to make that feasible. Right now, I have a several step process that involves logging into Amazon with our affiliate account.

For now, I may go ahead and post directions on how to include the book covers in the post. That will save me a little time when I go in after you and update the links to include the KindleBoards affiliate links.

By the way, thank you all for being so supportive. This really means a lot to me. I'm having fun here!

- Harvey

·
Registered
223 Posts
Harvey said:
Hmm, not sure about that. It should open a new browser window (or browser tab) with the Amazon page. Is it attempting to do that, or is it trying to open up the Amazon page overtop of the KindleBoards page?
It's trying to open up the Amazon overtop (and at the bottom of the screen) of the KB page.

FYI: I "expected" it to open up another tab, but instead it's opening up overtop the KB page.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts