Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I contacted the amazing Tara Shuler to create a book cover for me. The book was titled Passionate Blood, which at the time I'd envisioned as an 'Erotic Horror' story. In it the heroine endures the harsh realities of having a Vampire lover. The story goes swiftly from sweet, to dark and twisted. When I felt the manuscript was nearing completion I wrote Tara and she produced the awesome cover below:

I love and I mean absolutely LOVE this cover. Yet for some inexplicable reason, I couldn't bring myself to combine it with the story I'd written.

Then one night I woke up with an idea. Bleary eyed, I stumbled to my computer and typed-up some quick notes. While reviewing that synopsis a few days later it became very apparent, this new story belonged with Tara's cover. I completely tossed out what I'd written before and am starting over from scratch!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Has the cover-art for your book ever caused you to completely change gears?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Simply answer: No.  But I've never bought a cover prior to completing a story.

I have to ask - Why through out the original story because you have a better idea for the cover?  Why not complete that story, get a new cover for it, and write the new story for that cover?  Maybe you'll have to file all the serial numbers off the original story if you want those same characters for the newest story, but why can't it be retooled?  Or the new story written about new characters, new names, etc?  Then you would have 2 stories to post.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yes. I changed my description of the heroine's dress at one point in UNLOCKED to match the cover.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TWGallier said:
Simply answer: No. But I've never bought a cover prior to completing a story.

I have to ask - Why through out the original story because you have a better idea for the cover? Why not complete that story, get a new cover for it, and write the new story for that cover? Maybe you'll have to file all the serial numbers off the original story if you want those same characters for the newest story, but why can't it be retooled? Or the new story written about new characters, new names, etc? Then you would have 2 stories to post.
Oh I didn't toss out the original story at all..sorry if my post was confusing! I'm working on re-titling it and a new cover. This was the first cover I'd ever purchased..mostly enticed by Tara's talent and affordability.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I'd have to say no, as well. However, I ran across the cover for one of my next YA books that matched the title perfectly. I wanted the book to look and feel more like a novel and when I found it on Dara England's site I melted. Loved it. In my opinion it was the perfect fit and was just what I wanted.

Here's the link for Simmer, Recipes For The Teen Palate http://tkrichardson.com/SIMMER.html

So it didn't change my book - to me it was meant for my book. :) (Thanks Dara!)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can't say that I ever changed a story to fit with a particular cover. I've only self-pubbed two works, so my answer probably isn't fair anyway.

I don't go looking for covers until I finish a manuscript. That way, I know the story so well that I usually have a cover design already in mind. Getting a cover that works sometimes seems like the hardest part. Especially, if you do it yourself without graphic art experience.

BTW, Vicky, that PASSIONATE BLOOD cover looks very nice. ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
No, but I've browsed e-cover sites, with pre-made covers, and saw some that could inspire a story or two.  Some are very provocative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts