Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my K yesterday and it is better than I ever dreamed. The problem is that it is so easy to order books from Amazon using 1 click, that I can't stop. I am like a kid in the candy store. Is there a medical term for this affliction, like "kindle bankruptcy syndrome".

Steve

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
To avoid the syndrome I buy a gift card each month and then use that for my one click Kindle purchases.  When the card balance goes to zero I stop buying.  It also keeps your credit card bill from being 10 pages long.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I will have to switch to the gift card method myself.  Yikes those little charges sure add up.  I know there is plenty of free content out there, but I never seem to get to it.  Must. employ. self. discipline. now.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
There is no cure!  You've been sucked into the Kindle vortex and, like a black hole, it will never release you. You will buy and download more book than you can possible read, especially when you start paging through the Gutenberg project.

Give up all hope of having a normal life with relationships and outside interests.

:eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Especially after a glass or two of wine. Step away from the Kindle.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The giftcard approach works well for me. I actually use the certificates I get from my Amazon visa card which is like getting "free" money. I just got two more last week for $50 so I am all set for awhile.

L

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I got my Kindle in May 7Th  by  June 7Th I spent over 300.00 on books. I  knew I had a problem.  I wasn't going to stop reading my Kindle
and I had to fine a way to supply my $10 a day reading habit. So I stopped smoking ( 2 packs a day).  But I gained  30 lbs. So I got a new
Puppy. 
So everyday this summer I packed my kindle a ball and the dog  went for a walk.  Sat under a tree toss the ball and read my kindle.

well the dog in house broken
still reading everyday
still not smoking
still 30 lbs over weight.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am picturing the cover of Money magazine: A couple, standing on their front lawn, their beautiful house in the background, their two kids (one girl, one boy) and the Golden Retriever with them, and there's a FORECLOSURE sign on the lawn.

The article inside details how this seemingly perfect couple, with good jobs and smart kids, ended up in bankruptcy because he bought her a Kindle for her birthday, and she just couldn't stop buying books!

The bank account, the 401(K), the mortgage payment . . . all gone in a series of $9.99 payments to Amazon.

Congress might have to pass a law to protect us from our own over-Kindling!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
This is working for me (so far) no buying till you finish the book your reading!

Simple rule but it works if you follow it.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Not a bad rule, Octo.  But then again, if you read really fast like I do, don't have hubby or kids, and basically read a book a day (more on weekends), it still can get into $$$....  :D

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Congrats on receiving your Kindle! I am sad to report that there is no cure for Kindleholism... You just have to face the fact that you have a problem!!

Part of your 12step program... Take full advantage of gifts cards and extra change you have lying around the house, in the console of your car, under the sofa cushions, etc... and head to the nearest Cointstar machine and keep your eyes on the boards for more ideas on dealing with your addiction! Most of all... have fun!  ;)

G

·
I just read in the news that China is about to call Internet addiction an actual disease. If they think the Internet's bad I wonder what they'll think when Kindle's become available there.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
tessa said:
I got my Kindle in May 7Th by June 7Th I spent over 300.00 on books. I knew I had a problem. I wasn't going to stop reading my Kindle
and I had to fine a way to supply my $10 a day reading habit. So I stopped smoking ( 2 packs a day). But I gained 30 lbs. So I got a new
Puppy.
So everyday this summer I packed my kindle a ball and the dog went for a walk. Sat under a tree toss the ball and read my kindle.

well the dog in house broken
still reading everyday
still not smoking
still 30 lbs over weight.
Congrats on quitting!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
My account is connected to my bank account.  That way I watch it so that we can eat and pay for house notes and internet.  Well it works for me.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
kindler said:
I just read in the news that China is about to call Internet addiction an actual disease. If they think the Internet's bad I wonder what they'll think when Kindle's become available there.
Really! Oh my God! LOL...

L

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I'm going to have to go the Gift Certificate route. I buy way too many books. Right now, I'm trying to go through a read the ones I've already purchased. That should hold me for a few weeks....I hope.

Reading here doesn't help though..My wish list is getting longer with each new thread I open!

Heather

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I agree with Steph H. you can spend a lot of money really quickly if you are not careful.  As for Octo's suggestion I read 4 to 6 books at a time so that would never work for me.  I just try not to go over my budget and gift certificate each month, but some months have more books I want then others and some months I travel more then others.  At least that is what I tell myself when I buy my second gift certificate in a month.  I just wish I could get my company to pay for the books I read in airports and on planes while I'm on business trips.  :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts