Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently published a new children's book and I've noticed that, of all the over 10 books I've published on kindle to date, it's the only one that doesn't have a "look inside the book" included. Is this function something that Amazon has discontinued? Have I been glitched and should contact Amazon about? Has anyone else published a book in the last 2 weeks who's book also doesn't have a "look inside the book" included with their new book?

Dee

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Darryl Hughes said:
I've recently published a new children's book and I've noticed that, of all the over 10 books I've published on kindle to date, it's the only one that doesn't have a "look inside the book" included. Is this function something that Amazon has discontinued? Have I been glitched and should contact Amazon about? Has anyone else published a book in the last 2 weeks who's book also doesn't have a "look inside the book" included with their new book?
It's not discontinued, but it has been taking longer than usual recently. It couldn't hurt to contact customer service, but they'll probably just tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J. Tanner said:
It's not discontinued, but it has been taking longer than usual recently. It couldn't hurt to contact customer service, but they'll probably just tell you the same thing.
Thanks. And I will.

Dee

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a little FYI? Spoke to Amazon's Kindle/KDP customer service and they said and I quote "I'll have to speak to my technical team about this situation and why it's not showing up...". She (the customer service rep) then asked me if I uploaded a Mobi file, which I did. Don't know what that had to do with it since my other books were published using a Mobi file and their "look inside the book" features all happened on the same day that they were first published.

Sounds to me like Amazon is a little glitchy. I posted this thread to ask you guys after noticing someone mention it on another thread and then seeing books on Amazon in my category that were published after my book that had the "look inside the book" feature on their books. And not all of those were in KDP and my book is. And all KDP books are supposed to have the "look inside the book" feature.

So if you don't have a "look inside the book" feature on your book and you should contact them about it. Being able to flip through a book is a major selling point when a buyer buys a book and this is Amazon's version of that, so it helps us Kindle authors immensely.

Hope this helps.

Dee

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
psnew said:
I'm confused about the mobi comment. Did they mean mobi could be part of the problem? Or was not using a mobi file the problem?

Could it be related to this?

https://www.kdpcommunity.com/s/article/Coming-October-2020-File-Ingestion-Requirement?language=en_US

I noticed this morning books with no look insides for a couple weeks have them now, so hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.
I don't know what the issue is with Mobi, but it isn't new. When I published my last book (also with a Mobi file) I couldn't use the Kindle previewer to check it. When I contacted customer service they said they'd been having "issues" with Mobi and if it looked alright when we made the file then skip the preview and go on to the next phase of publishing my book. I thought then (this was a few months ago) that they were just having a technical problem and that they'd sort it out. Now, months later, it seems this may be an "issue" with them and Mobi files. We'll see. They're supposed to be looking into what's wrong and why "look inside the book" didn't active with my book. I'll let you know what they say about the situation and if it is infact an issue with Mobi.

Dee

EDIT: I don't know this for sure, but here's my suspicion. I make children's books with pictures in them and that makes them different then books that are just typed. I'm guessing that the pictures are making problems for all the "enhanced typesetting" and other functions that Amazon is trying to do with books now. Again, just guessing. I'll let you know what they tell me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another odd twist is that look inside works fine for the box set i published a couple of weeks ago if I view the Amazon listing on my iPhone.
Also fine on an Android phone.
But no look inside appears if I view it on my iPad.
I guess I will try a PC next!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've noticed that updated files are taking longer to appear in the "Look Inside". I recently changed the cover and some text in one of my books and the new cover and text still haven't appeared in Look Inside yet, five days later. I have sent in a query about it.

I should imagine COVID-19 is having its effect within Amazon, as elsewhere. It adds to stress though. I want to do some promotions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I uploaded .mobi, and have now confirmed that look inside does work on iPhone and Android phones for my latest book set, but does not work on either iPad or PC.
That strongly suggests to me that whatever is wrong is at the Amazon end, not the author side.
Also worth noting is that my latest book is a box set produced by the same professional book formatter who did my last four books.  All were also .mobi files, and look inside works on every platform noted above for all four books.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thalstead said:
I uploaded .mobi, and have now confirmed that look inside does work on iPhone and Android phones for my latest book set, but does not work on either iPad or PC.
That strongly suggests to me that whatever is wrong is at the Amazon end, not the author side.
Also worth noting is that my latest book is a box set produced by the same professional book formatter who did my last four books. All were also .mobi files, and look inside works on every platform noted above for all four books.
What's the name of your book (link please) so I check it out for myself.

Dee

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MalcolmJWardlaw said:
I've noticed that updated files are taking longer to appear in the "Look Inside". I recently changed the cover and some text in one of my books and the new cover and text still haven't appeared in Look Inside yet, five days later. I have sent in a query about it.

I should imagine COVID-19 is having its effect within Amazon, as elsewhere. It adds to stress though. I want to do some promotions.
I'm feeling you. I'm stressed as hell. I did a freebooksy for my book with no "look inside" which I wonder if it would have gone better (it wasn't bad mind you) if the "look inside" were in place. And I wonder if the book would be selling better if folks perusing it could "look inside" and take a peek at the book.

I spoke to the kindle folks again this afternoon and they said they didn't know why the "look inside" hadn't kicked in and may have to do it manually.

Want some more stress? I've noticed that the "look inside" for all my books on Amazon UK have disappeared. And yes, all Mobi files. This has got to be an Amazon bug.

So yeah, a little stressed.

Dee

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE! Amazon fixed the look inside for my book. BUT it only shows up at Amazon US, CA, GER, and Japan, not at Amazon UK. What the hell is wrong with Amazon UK? And when you try to contact them through kindle you get Amazon US and they tell you they aren't in control of Amazon UK. Seriously?

But at least my situation is "sorta fixed" and I'll take it for right now. But you guys should push to get your situations fixed. It took me several phone calls over several days pushing Amazon to fix my problem and you should too.

Good luck.

Dee

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thalstead said:
To Darryl Hughes
The link to my Russian Agents book set is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LB3YQ8W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LB3YQ8W for checking!
Hi Ted. Good news. Your book set now has "look inside" on Amazon US (including Japan, Germany, etc), it shows up just fine on my mac (I know you said you didn't see it on your pc), but it's still not showing up in Amazon UK. What is up with Amazon UK?

Let me ask you, Ted. Did you complain to Amazon about your look inside problem? Just wondering if they fixed the Mobi/look inside problem itself or if they just fixed the problem for those who complained about it.

Dee

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wired said:
My latest book went live today. No Look Inside.

At least my cover's visible.
First question on this thread seems to always be "did you use Mobi?". Whatever the cause, you need to contact customer service. Don't email, have them call you so that you speak to a person, tell them your problem, and they'll fix it. Took me 2 calls over 3-4 days but they fixed it. There's something going on with them and Mobi (that's what one customer srvice rep told me) so they had to activate my look inside manually.

Hope that helps.

Dee

1 - 17 of 17 Posts