Kindle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 896 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
It's not some identity thing I'm worried about.  I don't want them claiming to own anything I've written, or making money off my words, or doing scammy things with whatever information they're harvesting from me.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Luke Everhart said:
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Moving to a Facebook group out of privacy & content concerns is like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire a giant, raging active volcano.
You misunderstand.

The FB group is simply to discuss how to set up a new forum. Issues like domain and forum name, content, and what the registration message should actually say, etc etc etc. Its just a place for initial discussion.

I could set up a new forum now, but no-on would go there. Doing a temporary FB group where issues can be discussed first, and the any forum which follows can be what people really want, makes the difference between wasted effort, and something which works.

Phoenix61 said:
I PMed Phillip, the forum administrator advising him to comment in this thread about their intentions. That was yesterday, still no comment or PM in return. I do not agree to the new terms and do not consent. I have already deleted all my messages and changed my profile.
I've also PMed the new Admin on several issues, without response.

How do you delete all your posts? Is there a delete everything option somewhere?

Given your posts, there are now some significant threads with big holes in the flow. If enough people who regularly contribute do this, the existing threads will become unreadable.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I signed up a few months back under the Harvey user agreement (his tos). I wouldn't have signed up with this new kb tos and I won't consent to it.
I have no problem with posts being public or publicly searchable. That's the whole point of the site.

Most forum sites have wording that user content is used to provide the service, and for promotion.
But most do not have wording to sublicense or create derivative works. Even youtube doesn't.
This is facebook/instagram level, thought even facebook/instagram allow that licensing and use to end (except in certain circumstances) if privacy settings change or if the account is deleted. This new kb tos doesn't do that.

We post here often about protecting and respecting intellectual property rights.

So there's the new kb mobile site that requires cookies and then sets persistent cookies. Deleting cookies doesn't delete those.
On the laptop, when signing in from the EU, there's the required cookies acknowledgement  that grants consent to a plethora of partner companies in addition to kboards. You don't see that when signing in from the US.
And there's this new tos.

I haven't been here long. I could post more than I do. I'm in to move.

Also, for those who've pm'd their writing, and to the mods.
pms aren't private and they are included as user content in the new tos.
Mods may not be able to see pms, but the owner certainly can see them and can use the content.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
catowned said:
Mods may not be able to see pms, but the owner certainly can see them and can use the content.
If that's true, this is something which has been changed from earlier versions of the software.

On the older versions of phpBB I've used in the past, as owner, there was zero access to PM's within the forum.

Presumably writing a custom data miner to trawl the database itself is possible though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
TimothyEllis said:
You misunderstand.

The FB group is simply to discuss how to set up a new forum. Issues like domain and forum name, content, and what the registration message should actually say, etc etc etc. Its just a place for initial discussion.

I could set up a new forum now, but no-on would go there. Doing a temporary FB group where issues can be discussed first, and the any forum which follows can be what people really want, makes the difference between wasted effort, and something which works.
I have a suggestion, that it might accommodate those who distrust FB.

Since Amazon knows everything about most of us, an alternative location for a secret group to discuss the new forum, could be a Goodreads group. We can use our authors accounts, or readers accounts.

Most of us are members, and like I said above, what else can Amazon learn about us?

Besides, the interface is pretty easy to navigate, and it has all the features of FB groups, without giving away our real identities and family connections. Because FB will connect everybody in a way or another.

Even if we create a provisional FB account, just for the group, FB will use our new account and email it as possible friends, or people who one might know. Well, we all got those emails, right? I know they do that, because I have two different pen names accounts. And I get invitation to befriend my pen names in my personal account. And it's not just for the IP, they use other methods to match people together.

Well, it's just a suggestion. If it's not a good one, please let me know how to join the FB group again. I didn't understand what it's necessary to do in your first post.

·
Registered
42 Posts
TimothyEllis said:
If that's true, this is something which has been changed from earlier versions of the software.

On the older versions of phpBB I've used in the past, as owner, there was zero access to PM's within the forum.

Presumably writing a custom data miner to trawl the database itself is possible though.
I feel it would be possible to trawl the database and read whatever records are there. The PMs are stored somewhere in that forum database. SO if you have access to the database directly, which an owner should because you might need such to fix a broken something or other one day, then yes, they can with some effort read anything in it. Mods would never have such access though.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
select * from PMs where USERID = 'xyz';

That's all you'd have to type if it's based on an sql database, and taking a guess at the field names.

or, if you wanted the lot:

select * from PMs

Not much effort required, that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Simply_J said:
Since Amazon knows everything about most of us, an alternative location for a secret group to discuss the new forum, could be a Goodreads group. We can use our authors accounts, or readers accounts.
I find GR one of the most frustrating sites ever. And I think if you look at the ToS, it will have everything we dont like in it as well.

I also dislike the forum interface. Quite intensely.

The thing about having a private site is it's totally customization to the level the admin wants to, or people ask for.

Discussion on the FB group is now in progress. I've posted a number of threads on various issues for people to comment on.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks for doing this, Timothy.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
kw3000 said:
While anonymity is not possible, it is possible to 'in effect' withdraw whatever implied consent has been attributed to me by going back and deleting all of my posts, removing thumbnails from my signature of books carrying my name, and changing my display name to something more non-descript.
This is pretty much what I've done. I'm not going to delete my posts (3000! I don't think so). This is a public forum, and a lot of those posts were written to be helpful to other authors, so I'm happy for them to stay. If anyone wants to put in the work to monetise them, I don't much care.

But I DO care about my name being bandied about in a commercial manner without my say-so, and ditto my book covers. Maybe it would never happen, but as someone pointed out upthread, if a clause is in there, it's always possible that it will be used one day. I have no idea what the legal position is on all this, but by removing my real name and covers from my profile, I'm making it clear that I don't give my permission for them to be used. I'm not trying to hide my identity, just make a point.

I should add that I've been online continuously since CompuServe days, and this is the first time I've ever felt I needed to use a pseudonym rather than my real name.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Masha du Toit said:
If there is going to be a move to another platform, I want to know if any of the moderators who work here, are going to be part of it. They are the people who've kept the writer's cafe going, and if they moved across too, I'd be way more confident of the new group's chances. Good moderation is essential for the survival of any online forum, especially a writer's discussion group.
I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I doubt they would be interested due to workload here. If they care to join the discussion in the new FB group, they are welcome, as is everyone, author or reader, who would like to contribute.

Masha du Toit said:
I would be surprised if the new owners much cared if Writer's Cafe ceased to be.
Good point.

And if WC went down the WC here, the mods might find themselves bored just looking after what is left.

·
Registered
421 Posts
For the record, I don't agree with the new TOS.

I'm curious, is there an efficient way to mass-delete forum posts? Maybe a macro?

I've run into the same issue with an old AOL account now under one of the worst privacy violation policies I've seen.

No doubt they can mine servers, but I'd still like to remove everything. Giving i

·
Registered
421 Posts
For the record, I don't agree with the new TOS.

I'm curious, is there an efficient way to mass-delete forum posts? Maybe a macro?

I've run into the same issue with an old AOL account now under one of the worst privacy violation policies I've seen.

No doubt they can mine servers, but I'd still like to remove everything. Giving it a couple days to see if there's any response.

I agree with the posts about taking care with what we post anywhere. I've seen many instances of screen shots presented out of context. The potential for abuse is significant and not something I support even in a cloaked account. Unfortunately, complete privacy protection doesn't seem possible. I still don't want to support such garbage as the new TOS here.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I run a small, very private forum for writers that has been running for for over four years (with some KB members posting there too). Only twenty or so active members, so it's small but as I said private and nobody steals whatever you write. Members only so passers-by can't see your posts. But I don't want it to be so huge I can't manage it, so if you join now, I'll accept another fifty or so for now.

http://thewriterspub.proboards.com/

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Susanne. said:
I run a small, very private forum for writers that has been running for for over four years (with some KB members posting there too). Only twenty or so active members, so it's small but as I said private and nobody steals whatever you write. Members only so passers-by can't see your posts. But I don't want it to be so huge I can't manage it, so if you join now, I'll accept another fifty or so for now.

http://thewriterspub.proboards.com/
Proboards has already been identified as having the same ToS issues.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
TimothyEllis said:
Proboards has already been identified as having the same ToS issues.
Really? I didn't know that. Must take a look.. In any case I run the forum and the posts are confidential as much as they can be these days. No Internet is safe, not even Facebook or Goodreads.

T

·
0 Posts
Despite the new TOS (which can be changed if desired by those in power) I STILL believe that KBoards is central to all our needs. If any forum was to be mooted as a replacement it's going to need to have everything that is available here with a plus. I defy any of you to write and survive in a vacuum and if you go into a private group that reflects only your own views and outlooks, then that's what you will be doing.

One of the big draws (for me) is the extremely wide range of views on here. Coupled with that, the reach of each and every author with their readers and followers is second to none, excepting BookBub. Why would you jump this ship for a rudderless, motorless, inflatable dinghy with only one oar?

Instead of all of this negativity, why aren't you all doing something positive and looking at ways that we can turn this negative into a plus and organise sweeping changes to the way the boards operate. You're obviously dissatisfied, so why not organise yourselves into a strong resistance movement and get talking to the management.  Better the devil you know than risking the deep blue sea in a skiff.

Like many on here, I'm very experienced in running online forums. So much so that I recognise that what you're all looking for is already here and isn't easily copied or replaced. So, do yourselves a big favour and instead of discussing leaving, discuss change and change the forum for the betterment of everyone.

·
Registered
830 Posts
“Instead of all of this negativity, why aren't you all doing something positive and looking at ways that we can turn this negative into a plus and organise sweeping changes to the way the boards operate. You're obviously dissatisfied, so why not organise yourselves into a strong resistance movement and get talking to the management.  Better the devil you know than risking the deep blue sea in a skiff.”

To be honest, some of us have issues with the moderation as well. These issues have been raised recently and many of us arent satisfied with the answers we were given, especially with regard to RH and what could be said about her. And then there was Melody’s helpful post warning us about a designer who copied famous images, and that post was modded into meaninglessness too.

We can’t insist the moderation change to any significant extent; it’s not really our place to insist on that. So the alternative is to set up a new place where we agree on what kind of moderation we want.

81 - 100 of 896 Posts