Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have SO many books on my bookshelf in my room. In fact I've run out of room. I have piles now on the floor. My husband is telling me to just get rid of all of them!  :'( Since I also have a ton of books on my (kindle app) on my phone that I've yet to read, I really don't see myself ever revisiting any of the ones on my shelf. With ebooks slowly taking over, has anyone else started to do away with their paperback libraries?   

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Mine are gone.... donated to my library for their book sale.... and I do NOT miss them one bit!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I'm absolutely keeping my hardcovers/paperbacks. I have over 4,500 volumes covering the years from about 1890 to 2008. I like to re-read books, and there's no way most of the ones I have will get to ebook form, probably in my lifetime. I really like my Kindle, but it's not the only way to read.

Mike

·
Registered
327 Posts
I started liberating books about ten years ago. Prescient.

(In reality, my interest in dusting declined markedly with the onset of middle age.)

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I donated almost all my books a couple years ago when I moved across the country. I've picked up a few books since then (mostly gifts), but I don't have nearly the collection I used to have. I love the reduced clutter my kindle provides!

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Nope, too many beloved books there.  And like JMiked, I am a rereader.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm getting rid of @ 100 books a year, giving them to the public library for a tax writeoff.  I've been on the Kindle for 4 hours today, I would feel strange holding a paperback book.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I haven't, and I have no plans on getting rid of them either. My Kindle is a portable library, but I still prefer reading from a hard bound book.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My books have been flying out the door.  One place I give them is to a woman who owns a cafe in a small town.  There is no library, but people in town go to the cafe to pick up books.  It makes me smile.  There are some books I will always keep. 

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Not just no, HELL no!

I love my books, e and paper alike. If I had the time (and money), I'd do nothing but read and write all day. If I live long enough to retire, that's what I'm going to do with myself.

(Though lately, I've been hoarding paper books the way a survivalist hoards ammo. That way in case civilization collapses and the ebook infrastructure goes with it, I'll still have something to read while I wait for the radioactive zombie hordes to get me.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
jonathanmoeller said:
Not just no, HELL no!

I love my books, e and paper alike. If I had the time (and money), I'd do nothing but read and write all day. If I live long enough to retire, that's what I'm going to do with myself.
Agreed, but there is one big problem to all the reading once retired, beside the money issue. I took early retirment a few years ago and having a lot of extra time on my hands I find I read a lot more than I did before, both paper and e-books. The problem is that I have put on 40lbs because of the extra sitting and all the extra coffee and tea I drink whilst reading.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I only have about 500 left. I started donating years ago until I got down to single rows on my eight bookcases. Then I got my K and started giving away even more.

All my hardbacks are gone except for Potter and my favorite author, Susan Howatch. Even though she's now being Kindleized, I will keep her books as well as my Agatha Christie and Rex Stout. I've kept paperbacks that I know will never be kindleized.

While I do reread a lot, my reading tastes have changed over the years and there were many, many books I knew I'd never read again. They all went out the door.

Now all my shelves are filled with videos and dvds and those are the next items to get the heave-ho.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I finally donated a few of my older literary titles and back issues of literary magazines, but I still have books overtaking my shelves.  It's just hard to let "old friends" go and it would cost me a fortune to get them all again in Kindle format!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've given away some, but I still have a lot more that I can't bear to part with. Mostly I give away the ones that aren't favorites, the ones that I'm pretty certain I won't ever reread. That still leaves packed bookshelves of "favorites" though! I'm too sentimental about them and I love the feel and smell of the paper so I don't think I could ever get rid of all my print books.

·
Registered
572 Posts
God, I've been tempted to a half dozen times. To whittle down my massive collection to an essential few hundred. Mostly because I've moved frequently in the past, with one long stint in Australia, and the thought of carting so many thousands of novels utterly defeated me, so that they went into storage. These days though they look absolutely beautiful on hardwood shelves in my living room, so there's little incentive.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm a total pack rat and have them stacked in my basement.  :) But the plan is to sort through them and donate any I won't refer to down the road.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts