Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the gym reading a paperback instead of my kindle.  When it was time to turn the page, I pressed the right side of the page with my finger and wondered why I wasn't seeing the words change.  I laughed to myself.
Yet I did it five or six more times.  Good grief.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Heh heh. I haven't read a paperback since getting my Kindle but I'll bet the next time I do I'll be trying to press the page turn button too.  :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's like when I am reading a paper book and look for the dictionary to explain a definition or phrase...I just love that on my Kindle. Sometimes I just read the dictionary for a while out of curiosity.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I "transfer" like that all the time. I used to  have the hardest time adjusting from the smaller keyboard on my laptop to a full sized keyboard, resulting in lots of typos. That's the least of my problems now. I touch screens that don't do anything, press  nonexistent  Next Page buttons, but the worst is... when I fill in at the front desk at my husband's dental office - in close proximity to each other are the computer keyboard, the credit card reader, and the telephone. I have tried making a call and wondered why nothing is happening, only to discover I'm pressing the numbers on the credit card machine or the keyboard number pad. It can get quite embarrassing!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh Tam, I have that problem too, using different keyboards.  HATE that.

And lexxy, look like you are living the life!  Are you currently visiting Turkey?  Awesome.  The closest I'll ever get to turkey is on my sandwich for lunch.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Yes, I have tried to turn the page or access the dictionary on paper books by pressing on the page. I have also tried to turn the page on my Kindle by turning it; it then hits me in the head if I am lying down.. (My K2 is in a homemade case with a fabric hinge so it is possible to turn like a page in a book. I should have added one more piece of elastic.) I have also tried to open my house or car door by waving my work badge at it. I recognise these as signs that I am probably tired and need more sleep.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
You are not alone!  The other thing I did (that made me feel quite stupid when I figured it out) when reading a paperback, was that the next page didn't make any sense.  I flipped the page back and re-read the previous page, turned the page again and it still didn't make sense.  I tried one more time and finally realized when I turned the page I kept reading on the right-hand page instead of my eyes going to the top of the left-hand page first!  ::) :-[

I think it is one of the reasons we read faster on our kindles.  Our eyes (and sometimes head) are not shifting left and right to the next page, it is more like reading one continual page.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
crebel said:
You are not alone! The other thing I did (that made me feel quite stupid when I figured it out) when reading a paperback, was that the next page didn't make any sense. I flipped the page back and re-read the previous page, turned the page again and it still didn't make sense. I tried one more time and finally realized when I turned the page I kept reading on the right-hand page instead of my eyes going to the top of the left-hand page first! ::) :-[

I think it is one of the reasons we read faster on our kindles. Our eyes (and sometimes head) are not shifting left and right to the next page, it is more like reading one continual page.
Sort of like trying to hit the return key way back when I switched from typewriter to computer! (Before Computers now sounds as ancient as the original B.C. era. ;D )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gotta say here we keep trying to tell all our cruiser friends that the Kindle is our favorite toy. We fight over it. The boat next to us at the marina here in a small town in southern Turkey has 2...one for each. We wish we had done that. We are practicing sharing with them.

Our most exotic places have been anchored in Borneo to commune with orangutans in the wild face to face and swimming with a family of whales in Tonga. After 7 years it is coming to an end with us well into our 60's. Pretty exotic for an old lady carrying 40 extra pounds!!!

Actually, it's so nice to talk about something besides cruising and fixing boats....am enjoying the boards.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Lisa Scott said:
I was at the gym reading a paperback instead of my kindle. When it was time to turn the page, I pressed the right side of the page with my finger and wondered why I wasn't seeing the words change. I laughed to myself.
Yet I did it five or six more times. Good grief.
LOL What a funny story. ;D

I haven't done that but probably just because I so rarely read paperbacks any more.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Lisa Scott said:
I was at the gym reading a paperback instead of my kindle. When it was time to turn the page, I pressed the right side of the page with my finger and wondered why I wasn't seeing the words change. I laughed to myself.
I keep trying to change the text size.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lexxycyan said:
Gotta say here we keep trying to tell all our cruiser friends that the Kindle is our favorite toy. We fight over it. The boat next to us at the marina here in a small town in southern Turkey has 2...one for each. We wish we had done that. We are practicing sharing with them.

Our most exotic places have been anchored in Borneo to commune with orangutans in the wild face to face and swimming with a family of whales in Tonga. After 7 years it is coming to an end with us well into our 60's. Pretty exotic for an old lady carrying 40 extra pounds!!!

Actually, it's so nice to talk about something besides cruising and fixing boats....am enjoying the boards.
Go girl! (You're certainly not acting like an old lady!) I'm sitting here in my lazy boy drooling over your adventures. But a kindle at sea...sounds dreamy.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Just want to say I love this thread! Great stories, funny & all-too-human. Everyone can see themselves here. Thanks for sharing.

Lexxy--where are you in Turkey? We spent some time in Bodrum and loved it. Our Turkish neighbor here in the US was an excellent cook & taught me how to make some Turkish dishes...boerek (sp?) and a chicken dish with ground almonds that was divine.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JRTomlin said:
LOL What a funny story. ;D

I haven't done that but probably just because I so rarely read paperbacks any more.
I rarely read them either, but this is one I had and wanted to finish. It's so darn bulky. I also love taking it to the gym because I can then choose the book I want to read depending on my mood, instead of bringing one paperback along and wishing I'd chosen a different one instead. :)

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Lisa Scott said:
All that shows is you're really into reading. That's good thing. Whoever is the author of the book should feel great.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
*DrDln* (dr.s.dhillon) said:
All that shows is you're really into reading. That's good thing. Whoever is the author of the book should feel great.
Thanks! I'm going to stick with that explanation. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have also tried to look for the text change button on a paper book...would be nice.

We are in south Turkey, going to Istanbul for a week, then sailing up the coast hitting the sites loaded with archeology and ruins. Then we will cruise the Greek islands before spending the winter in southern Sicily.

I do like the food here so much more than the asian foods by far [except Vietnamese was great] and want to go to cooking school in Istanbul.

Please let me ask here...since it's the first board where I seem to have a rapport...I want to find a place on these boards where I can ask if anyone knows another author or book similar to the kinds I have acquired a taste for...but have read all their work. Like I can say: I love Joanna Trollop and Jodi Picoult....who else writes similar work? I don't know where to submit my question.

Any help.

·
Super Moderator
67,442 Posts
The Book Corner is for general book discussion. . . .lots of folks also ask for recommendations. . . .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts