Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Amazon will give you a refund on a Kindle book for any reason within 7 days, but has anyone ever asked for a refund because they didn't like a book?

I am contemplating doing this with Good Omens (sorry, fans, but I can't stand it). However, it somehow feels wrong - unethical almost - for me to return the book just because I'm not enjoying it. It would be kind of like using Amazon as a free rental service, which seems a bit shady to me.

I normally only request a refund on books that have bad formatting issues. Otherwise, I feel I should live with my decision. I did the research, sampled the book, and bought it based on the enjoyment I thought I'd get out of it. Unfortunately, reading through it has been a miserable experience.

So, should I go for that refund or just live with my decision? It was only $6.39, so it's not like I'm in the hole either way.

How have you guys handled this in the past with Kindle books you just plain didn't like?

(BTW, I should add that most people LOOOOOOOOVE Good Omens, so please don't let my bad impressions steer you away if it's something you think you'd enjoy.)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have only requested a refund once for a formatting issue. Believe me I have been tempted though! I don't usually pay enough for it to be an issue either.

Melissa

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You should handle it the same way you would handle a paper book, or a movie you did not like.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
A book would have to have been pricey for me to return it in any format. I've purchased roughly $50 in mass suckage for my Kindle, but I figure that's the price I pay for making the occasional Oops.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
If there's an option where you can say that the book wasn't what you thought it would be, then I'd request a refund. It's not as if you aren't going to be spending plenty of money on books for your Kindle. I'm sure Amazon would frown on the request for a refund if you made a habit of it, but since you've only asked due to formatting, what do you have to lose? Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I think this is definitely a personal choice. I don't think you would be right or wrong regardless of what you chose to do. I personally would probably just keep it. To me I would figure I did sample it and every once in a while I might purchase a book that I don't like but that's not amazons problem/responsibility if I didn't enjoy it. They did their part and provided their services accordingly.

Again if you do return it I don't think you made the wrong choice because I think it's just a personal different choice for each person how they would handle that.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have only requested refunds for formatting issues, but if you really don't like the book, I would say return it. The only book I ever really wanted to return was one I got free - it was truly awful. And no, it wasn't by any of our Kindle authors, their stuff is much better!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that you haven't read the entire book?  I think that makes a bit of a difference. (It's kind of like going to a restaurant, eating a few bites of your food, and telling the manager that it's not good. (No, I've never done this.) I have heard managers complain about people eating the entire meal and THEN refusing to pay for it. (Haven't done that, either.  ;))

If Amazon says that the book is refundable for any reason, you should give it serious consideration. You might as well spend your money on a book that you're going to like to have in your archive.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
In all honesty, CS, I'd request a refund if I were halfway through the book and I absolutely hated it. Amazon offers to refund your money, and you don't like the book, so take advantage of their offer. I had an Anne Rice book one time that I started reading and got the creeps even having the book in my house. It's the only book that I ever disposed of. I didn't want it around, but couldn't return it. I know your case probably isn't the same, but why keep it?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I have purchased a few books that ended up being awful reads.
I just dealt with it, since it was my choice whether to purchase them or not.
I personally wouldn't ask Amazon for a refund on those books,as it was my choice,and that is a chance we take with books.
So I guess you just need to do what you think is best. :)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Sugar said:
I have purchased a few books that ended up being awful reads.
I just dealt with it, since it was my choice whether to purchase them or not.
I personally wouldn't ask Amazon for a refund on those books,as it was my choice,and that is a chance we take with books.
So I guess you just need to do what you think is best. :)
this is basically how I feel too. I think you put it into words a little better than I did. :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I requested and received a refund on a book that wasn't what I thought it would be, according to Amazon description.  Customer Service was very nice and refunded my money, deleted from my library and made me promise I would delete it from my Kindle and computer.  I did as they requested.  Very easy.  Very civilized. 

·
Registered
494 Posts
I haven't.  I thought about it once.  I had bought a baby name book.  I didn't try the sample because I thought "what could go wrong with a baby name book?"  Well, the names weren't really even names.  I figured that since I bought it without sampling it first that it was my fault so I just ate the cost.  :-\

·
Registered
860 Posts
jaspertyler said:
I haven't. I thought about it once. I had bought a baby name book. I didn't try the sample because I thought "what could go wrong with a baby name book?" Well, the names weren't really even names. I figured that since I bought it without sampling it first that it was my fault so I just ate the cost. :-\
This is how I look at it too. Before I had my K, often times I would order a book from Amazon that I didn't like. It never occurred to me to return it. I just donated it to my local library. Sad I can't do that anymore.

Twice I have asked for refunds on Kindle books but only because I clicked "purchase" instead of "sample" at Amazon.com. I wish Amazon.com had the same "Did you reallly mean to purchase this item?" that the Kindle has.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
CS,

I'd say if you've read half the book, you're not liking it, and you are within the 7 days, go ahead and return it. Why not? You have the option to do so. Why not take advantage of it?

People that start to use Amazon like a lending library and start returning every book they buy will get uncovered, and banned. There have been a couple of reports of people being banned from Amazon because of abusing the return policy -- these folks weren't returning Kindle books, but I am sure it is only a matter of time before some idiot out there will decide s/he can just return 99% of the kindle books s/he buys -- and will suffer the consequences.

Here in Maine, people have been banned from returning items to LL Bean because they have abused the return policy. Fraud detection and prevention is a big deal for businesses. Amazon is a big business. Ergo, they are on the lookout for people who abuse the policy.

But, in my mind, returning one book because you didn't like it is not an abuse of the return policy. I'd do the same thing if I had made a similar mistake.

L

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I agree with those who say to return it.

I have returned books to regular bookstores before. 

I have never, however, done so after reading the entire book.  We can usually figure out if we like a book after reading only part of it. 

I think it would be wrong if you are returning a book after reading the whole thing (kind of like those who go to a restaurant, eat the whole meal without saying a word if something is wrong, and then complain that it was no good when they are done and that they want their money back; sorry if that offended anyone).  But if you have tried it and don't like it, don't keep it.

As others have said, though, don't abuse it, and you'll be fine. 

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I almost sense a "right vs. wrong" issue here. (I may be way off base.) I'm as honest as the day is long, and don't see anything wrong with requesting a refund, as I've previously stated. It seems like a waste of money to keep the book, when you could apply the purchase price to something that you'd much rather read. I do agree with those who say that, for some people, returning items gets out of hand and is done to bilk the dealer out of money. Of course, that is wrong.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I've only returned two books for formatting problems but if Amazon makes that "for any reason" offer, I guess they expect to honor it. I sure there are those who abuse this and read the whole book and then return it, but an honest dislike of the book would qualify for a refund under Amazon's rules.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts