Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying an experiment where I have increased my price of my two volumes of diaries about Disney trips by $1. To $3.99. They are over 500 pages each. I just thought I was slightly undervaluing my work. 

Anyone had success with this stratergy?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Yes. Try it. I'm a total disney nut. I wrote Disney guides back when I was in college. At first I sold them for $2.99. Then one day I went nuts and raised the price to $14.99. Those sold BETTER. I can peak at your listings if you want and see if there's anything obvious that strikes me, since I think I'm your target buyer. I still buy a disney guides every year before we go on vacation to look for things I've forgotten or things I don't know. The new fantasyland looks AWESOME! I cant wait! Plus, I'd be happy to pay $5, $10, $15 if you have you something that makes my life easier while we are getting there or are there. There is SO much stuff to know.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Love Disney as well...at 500 pages, if it's as good or better than the Birnbaum guides or anything else like it, I'd say $3.99 is far too cheap.  If it's more of a story, as in a literal diary of your experiences and not organized in a way that I could flip to a specific section to find insight, then maybe the $3.99-$5.99 price range would serve better.

At first I thought, as an avid WDW traveler, that I wouldn't be interested in reading about someone else's trip.  After all, I've already been there...so unless you have weaved a compelling real-life story, I have my own experiences to re-live.  However, your summary made me interested in reading it based on your extensive time invested into your Disney trips.  My own opinion is that $3.99 is still probably too cheap, and $5.99 or higher may be worth trying.  You have 13 years of experiences packed into a large book...if someone is interested in reading about that, I don't think the price will stop them from wanting to dive in.  The culture of "Disney lovers" is an rabid one, where price (obviously) has not prevented them from buying "more" things Disney. :)  That's just my 2 cents.

Really cool to see such a different type of book on the Kindleboards.  I hope if you do go with the higher price tag it works out for you!

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Mine are $4.99. I would have to sell twice as many at $2.99 to make the same amount, and 10 times as many at .99.  I am cool with $4.99. Some people love to buy .99 some won't touch them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I found decreasing prices hasn't helped  :-\

For nonfiction at 500 pages, it's worth increasing your price, perhaps between $5~10? I think if people can afford to go to Disneyland, they can definitely afford a few extra bucks  ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
You couldn't pay me to set foot near a Disney-related anything. That said, raising prices has helped me a great deal. It has more to do with Amazon's pricing program than anything else.

At 99 cents you get 30 percent revenue - around 33 cents.
At 2.99 you get 70 percent revenue - around 2.09

You have to sell more than six times the books at .99 cents to make up the difference. In my experience that has not happened. In fact, when I raised the price to 2.99 to receive the 70 percent price point, my sales actually increased (and I've done this experiment several times with different books on different topics). It probably has something to do with perceived value, but I'm not educated enough to know exactly how or why.

Your experience certainly may vary.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Move price point up or down sometimes helps if you are an unknown writer. A lot of people browse by price range so this exposes you to different searches.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
This is a very interesting concept and my audience is always talking about going to Disney. Next time you do any sort of promo, shoot me a pm or fb message and I'll post your books on my wall. I've already seen where some are planning for this year's trek to Disney. I think they'd really enjoy this.

G

·
I found with Fire Season that raising the price did not affect sales, which stayed level. As it boosted royalties to the 70% level on the other hand, it more than doubled my royalties.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I had a reader on Goodreads tell me just the other day that $3.99 for an eBook (The Five Elements) from an unknown author (me) is too much for her. Same day, someone I had previously "met" on Goodreads bought it at the same price w/out issue.

I gave a free copy to the person who thought it was too expensive in exchange for an honest review. I'm still on the hunt for reviews, and this policy has worked well for me so far. She seemed happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts