Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard about this today from my favorite little petstore. There is a bill before congress 'The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act'. It will make it illegal to transport, breed, own animals and fish not native to the US. Which would include most of the fish in my tank and my African Grey.

From what I can tell I would not be able to move with my bird and heaven forbid my fish should breed. I think I'm allowed to keep them until they die but would not be allowed to let them breed or get more.

I can understand some of the reasoning behind it however, the way it's written, no more hamsters, rats (which I know some of you won't mind LOL), my African grey, 99% of aquarium fish. These have been breed in the USA for a long period of time but they are not native so would be considered illegal.

Just one of the websites i've seen: www.nohr669.com http://exoticpets.about.com/b/2009/04/04/us-legislation-alert-hr-669.htm#gB3

theresam

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Though I have to admit, on days that he's not wanting to settle down on his stand or cage and play and prefers to scream at me instead of using his words, I wouldn't mind him being banned  :eek: ;D ::).  But just for an hour or two  :-\!

·
Registered
552 Posts
This all came about from irresponsible pet owners who buy exotic pets and then realize they don't want them so they release them into the wild.  It really has created a problem with some species.  Exotic Snakes are a very big problem in Florida along with some birds that were released into the wild and have caused huge problems with power lines etc.  I'm with the Audubon and what the exotic species is doing to our native wildlife population is really eye opening.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks KC, I can see needing to do something about that but this just seems overboard. Maybe ban them in areas where they would actually thrive it let go. For instance, My Grey would not survive being loose in Seattle or my fish certainly wouldn't survive our wetland ponds (I think the Candian Geese would get them).

It saddens me that people get animal meant to be kept as a pet and let it loose when it can be taken and dropped off at an animal shelter. I wish there was a way to track those people and 'let them go live in the wild on there own'! :eek:

Ok on a fun note: How do they stop the Candian Geese from flying into the US? Think they should have to carry passports? <gggggg>

theresam

·
Registered
552 Posts
From what I've been told, and I may be wrong, it shouldn't affect domestically bred animals that are already here.  No new animals/plants can be brought into the country.  It was my understanding that the ones already here i.e.  Amazons, Parrotlets etc would be grandfathered in.

PS I am presently fostering a Parrotlet (miniature pure parrot) who was a victim of a ceiling fan, not once but 3 times.  The vet finally reported the owner to the humane society which took action and took it away.  The poor thing is in pathetic shape but making a comeback.  No way of telling if there is any brain damage though but I am fast falling in love with the critter.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh those poor things, that's horrible. I'm glad he reported it and they are in a good home. They are such sweet birds. I'm glad you are enjoying the. Sometimes I think my bird is a bit brain damaged, but then I'm sure he thinks that about me LOL  :eek:.

Apparently my sister has done some more digging on the bill. If you already have one you can keep it but you can not breed or transport them so I would be stuck if I had to move out of state and I'm blocked from giving him away.Though how they could track all that, unless someone turned me in. It should be writtent like you say, no new plants/animals introduced. I saw some type of monkey at one of the pet stores up here. I find that sad that they are selling them.

theresam

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
"non-native" wildlife??  Gee, that would include... feral cats? 

And taken to (admittedly unlikely) extremes, that means the cat rescue people couldn't round those up and get them vaccinated and neutered anymore, because it counts as transporting them?

Getting new laws written takes so much time and effort, with so many people adding their two cents' worth.  It's disappointing that sometimes the result is either poorly thought through or poorly worded, even if the intent was good.

Let's hope that reason prevails so that legitimate and responsible pet owners (and their pets!) aren't the ones who suffer.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bill is allowing cats, dogs and live stock.

So I guess I could own a pet sheep LOL. I could say it's live stock, I sheer it and spin is coat for knitting! Oh wait a Llama would be better... no alpaca is even better!! :eek: ;D In WA they would allow on in my little yard, but I think my homeowners would have a cow. Oh wait then I could have the alpaca if he has a cow <ggggg> Ok i'm sorry I digress...... ;D

theresam

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Presumably it's not banning house sparrows and starlings either, which are non-native but have sustainable populations.  Unfortunately.  ::)

It appears the lawmakers are trying to balance eliminate possible problems species and practicalities.  And, after all, the Obamas have a new dog coming tomorrow, can't eliminnate the First Dog!  ;D

Betsy

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL Betsy, I forgot about that. Don't even know what he finally picked. That may be why dogs have been spared <ggggg>

Are Crows native? can we ship them out?? I certainly know why they call a group of crows a murder of crows. One wants to murder them to stop the racket.

Ok back on topic sorta. I sent an email to my rep asking them to either stop that bill or work on a better written one that doesn't leave a wide opening for my fish tank to be emptied and my bird cage to be unused when my baby finally goes (btw, I'm hopping he goes after me or at the same time, since I've lived with him longer than any person in my life - including my parents :eek: - well in a couple of years it will be longer ;D)

theresam

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
bkworm8it said:
I sent an email to my rep asking them to either stop that bill or work on a better written one

theresam
Please let us know what happens!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sorry, crows are native and protected under the Federal Migration Act ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts