Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears to be the first in a series (2 books so far, with a third coming out in 2009) and it sure sounds good from the description and opening. I'm wondering if anyone here has read it and, if so, does the rest of the book stand up to the great opening?

Silent in the Grave

by Deanna Raybourn
$5.04
Rating: 4 Stars (out of 5)

Product Description
"Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave."
These ominous words, slashed from the pages of a book of Psalms, are the last threat that the darling of London society, Sir Edward Grey, receives from his killer. Before he can show them to Nicholas Brisbane, the private inquiry agent he has retained for his protection, Sir Edward collapses and dies at his London home, in the presence of his wife, Julia, and a roomful of dinner guests. Prepared to accept that Edward's death was due to a longstanding physical infirmity, Julia is outraged when Brisbane visits and suggests that Sir Edward has been murdered. It is a reaction she comes to regret when she discovers the damning paper for herself, and realizes the truth. Determined to bring her husband's murderer to justice, Julia engages the enigmatic Brisbane to help her investigate Edward's demise. Dismissing his warnings that the investigation will be difficult, if not impossible, Julia presses forward, following a trail of clues that lead her to even more unpleasant truths, and ever closer to a killer who waits expectantly for her arrival.

Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.
To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor.

I stared at him, not quite taking in the fact that he had just collapsed at my feet. He lay, curled like a question mark, his evening suit ink-black against the white marble of the floor. He was writhing, his fingers knotted.

I leaned as close to him as my corset would permit. "Edward, we have guests. Do get up. If this is some sort of silly prank--"

"He is not jesting, my lady. He is convulsing."

An impatient figure in black pushed past me to kneel at Edward's side. He busied himself for a few brisk moments, palpating and pulse-taking, while I bobbed a bit, trying to see over his shoulder. Behind me the guests were murmuring, buzzing, pushing closer to get a look of their own. There was a little thrill of excitement in the air. After all, it was not every evening that a baronet collapsed senseless in his own music room. And Edward was proving rather better entertainment than the soprano we had engaged.

Through the press, Aquinas, our butler, managed to squeeze in next to my elbow.

"My lady?"

I looked at him, grateful to have an excuse to turn away from the spectacle on the floor.
[...]

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Yes, I read it.  Liked it well enough that I have number two around here somewhere. . .There are several mysteries going on.  One is the obvious 'how did he die' but there's a sub plot of 'who is this Brisbane character and where'd he come from'.  The first gets resolved in the book, the second only partly so; there will be more character development.  There's also some unstated attraction between the two characters that I'm sure will develop more in future installments.

Ann

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ann Von Hagel said:
Yes, I read it. Liked it well enough that I have number two around here somewhere. . .There are several mysteries going on. One is the obvious 'how did he die' but there's a sub plot of 'who is this Brisbane character and where'd he come from'. The first gets resolved in the book, the second only partly so; there will be more character development. There's also some unstated attraction between the two characters that I'm sure will develop more in future installments.

Ann
Thanks, Ann! I appreciate the response. I found the intro witty enough to interest me. And, since I've never read anything in the mystery genre before, thought this book might be a decent one to start with.

-X-

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just finished reading this book and really enjoyed it.  Like Ann said...many mysteries going on within the narrative - some are solved by the end of the novel and some remain as loose ends at the end.

It's very well written and delves quite a bit into the "flip-side" of straight-laced Victorian England, if you know what I mean.  For instance, I learned a new word describing one of the ancillary characters:  sapphic (I'll let you discover the definition yourself in your Kindle.)  ;)

The chemistry between Lady Julia and Mr. Brisbane is quite difficult to describe...kind of a hate/love thing, but you have no idea WHY he seems to have disdain for her.  Makes me want to move right on to Silent in the Sanctuary tonight!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have read this as well as Book 2, Silent in the Sanctuary. I thoroughly enjoyed both. They are good who-dun-its, with the relationship between Lady Julia and Nicholas Brisbane keeping things interesting as well. I am trying to refrain from picking up Silent on the Moor, which is the 3rd in the series. Let's see how long I can hold out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good luck, tlshaw, because the unresolved relationship between them is killing me!  Gotta move on to the next book to find out what happens next.

....and I imagine a third Deanna Raybourn purchase is not long in my future!  ;)

·
Registered
677 Posts
The only thing that is keeping me from it, is I want the price to come down from 9.99. But, I also have pages and pages of unread books already on Kindra - most of them free!

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Me, I couldn't wait, and bought it the day it came out after having read the other two just before that. Once I get into a series, it's hard for me to wait if a new one is available when I finish the last one. ;)

It was worth it...

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
I don't remember which of the first two was offered as a free book to suck you into the series (those free books in a series are a great marketing tool according to my purchasing record), but I have read the first two and keep looking at the new one because I want to see if the relationship between Lady Julia and Mr. Brisbane heats up some more, but I am sure it will be awhile before it comes down from 9.99 since it was just released.  I like historical romance and mysteries so these are an excellent combination of the two.  Note to self:  Since one of the three was free and the other less than $6 that means I can go ahead and buy Silent in the Moor at 9.99 and have all three for less than $16 - I'm off to one-click!

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
tlshaw said:
You are undermining my argument for holding off :(
tlshaw said:
But, I also have pages and pages of unread books already on Kindra - most of them free!
Just doing our humble part to strengthen the economy! If you have all those free books waiting to be read you can absolutely justify the purchase by average price per book! I refuse to add an enabler signature to my posts!

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
tlshaw said:
Thanks for being such and enabler Steph! ;)
Honey, I'm happy to help. :) And I second crebel's assistance... LOL

(Believe me, it's well worth it in the end....but no spoilers!)

·
Registered
4,791 Posts

So didja get it yet?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just picked up the first 3 books (The Lady Julia Grey Bundle for $9.99) thanks to the heads-up in the bargain books thread last month. I really enjoyed the series and will keep an eye out for future books from this author. ;D

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Read all three this week--overall they're very well written & engaging. Silent in the Grave has THE most novel murder method I've ever read. LOL (no, I will not provide a spoiler for that, you need to find out on your own for this one!) A number of very funny, well written lines, and well developed characters.

One nit below (this won't give away anything story-wise, but is hidden for those like me who want to experience the books ourselves, and then decide on an opinion):

The first book is a proper mystery with healthy helping of romance--but the focus is definitely the murder. It takes place early in the book & takes the full book to unravel. The second is probably still classed as a mystery, but I kept wondering when the body was going to show up--it took a while. I can't remember which author commented that in a mystery, there'd better be a body in the first 50 pages or something's wrong, but I kept thinking about that with both the second & third books in this series.

By the third--listed as being published by Harlequin--the mystery is decidedly the second plotline rather than the primary. For me, being a heavy mystery reader, this was really disappointing, but for those who prefer the romance genre, it won't be a problem. It was still well written. I'm personally not decided though if I'm willing to read a fourth, if published--I absolutely would if it was along the lines of the first, but would probably only take it free or cheap if it was written with storylines like the third.

I'd certainly recommend looking into them--already have to several friends.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Currently reading Book 2, Silent in the Sanctuary. I thought I'd read the free one first to see if I liked it before paying for the bundle. I'm about half way through and it's very good! Now I wish I had read the first one first, b/c she's made a few references to events in the previous book that might give a few things away. :-[ Not too terribly much though. I'll still read the first one!

N :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts