Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have read this book or you are in the process of reading it. Let me know what you think. I'm in the process and I'm still not quite sure about it. At times its like OMG get on with it, then all of a sudden it draws me in, then back to the OMG get on with it again...lol. Anyway give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
I share your opinion. It was very engaging at times and then seemed to get lost somewhere toward the last third.

By the end of the book I disliked the protagonist so much that I didn't particularly care if he dropped dead.

All-in-all it was a very forgettable book. I almost never give up on a book but this is one that deserves it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I read it years ago. I liked it but it certainly wasn't one of my favorites. IMO, Charm School and Upcountry were some of his best. I like them to be a little "meatier" and not so superficial.
Wheezie

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Jeff said:
I share your opinion. It was very engaging at times and then seemed to get lost somewhere toward the last third.

By the end of the book I disliked the protagonist so much that I didn't particularly care if he dropped dead.

All-in-all it was a very forgettable book. I almost never give up on a book but this is one that deserves it.
Wow... if Jeff doesn't like it, then I won't waste my time on it!! ;)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I read it, it was okay but not one of his best.  It is the prequel to The Gate House which I still haven't finished because I think it is dreadful.  Frankly neither one are his best writing.  My advice is forget it and move on to better books.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gables Girl said:
I read it, it was okay but not one of his best. It is the prequel to The Gate House which I still haven't finished because I think it is dreadful. Frankly neither one are his best writing. My advice is forget it and move on to better books.
yeah i downloaded both books.....i kinda sorry i did.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
russr19 said:
yeah i downloaded both books.....i kinda sorry i did.
If you call Amazon CS within 7 days of your purchase, they will refund your money and delete the book, no questions asked. I had to do that once and they couldn't have been nicer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gertiekindle said:
If you call Amazon CS within 7 days of your purchase, they will refund your money and delete the book, no questions asked. I had to do that once and they couldn't have been nicer.
yeah i had herd that but they have been on my kindle for a while.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I enjoyed The Gold Coast years ago when I read it, but not as much when I re-read it.  And I absolutely hated The Gate House -- and Nelson DeMille is one of my favorite authors.  Charm School, Cathedral, and Mayday are three of my favorites.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MeganW said:
I enjoyed The Gold Coast years ago when I read it, but not as much when I re-read it. And I absolutely hated The Gate House -- and Nelson DeMille is one of my favorite authors. Charm School, Cathedral, and Mayday are three of my favorites.
I was really disapponted, I don't think I'll read any of his other books.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
I already weighed in here once but since Angela put so much weight on what I said maybe I should say a bit more. ;D

To me it seemed like the style and direction of the book changed quite suddenly. It almost looked like one of those projects that the author drops then picks back up because his editor is pushing for something new. I was particularly disappointed in this book because I'm fascinated by those old NY families and the castles they built so I may be unreasonably critical.

Leslie's family probably lived on the Gold Coast. Where are you Leslie? Can you point out your family estate for us?

http://www.ligoldcoast.com/lipublic.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gables Girl said:
I read it, it was okay but not one of his best. It is the prequel to The Gate House which I still haven't finished because I think it is dreadful. Frankly neither one are his best writing. My advice is forget it and move on to better books.
Thank God! I thought it was me. :eek:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Wheezie said:
I read it years ago. I liked it but it certainly wasn't one of my favorites. IMO, Charm School and Upcountry were some of his best. I like them to be a little "meatier" and not so superficial.
Wheezie
I didn't like it. I know a couple of people that did. His latest "The Gate House" isn't getting good reviews. I liked "By the Rivers of Babylon, Charm School, Upcountry, Mayday and the John Corey series except for the last one Wild Fire.

Here's his website. I check it to see what his next book will be. I have to check again but I thought there was going to be a sequel to Upcountry.

http://nelsondemille.net/content/index.asp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts