Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've sent a sample of this novel to my K2 (2/25!) , but in the meantime I'm wondering if any of you have read this book. I'm rather confused what it's about, but it sure gets rave reviews. Thanks!

The Thirteenth Tale

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
I listened to an Audible.com version of this a while back. Young author interviews famous older author, who has written lots of books but never told her own story to anyone - until now. Very well done, but also very dark. The description on Goodreads.com sets it up well, better than the one on Amazon. Here's the link:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40440.The_Thirteenth_Tale_A_Novel

And here's the quote from early in the book that got me hooked:

"All morning I struggled with the sensation of stray wisps of one world seeping through the cracks of another. Do you know the feeling when you start reading a new book before the membrane of the last one has had time to close behind you? You leave the previous book with ideas and themes -- characters even -- caught in the fibers of your clothes, and when you open the new book, they are still with you."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chiffchaff said:
I listened to an Audible.com version of this a while back. Young author interviews famous older author, who has written lots of books but never told her own story to anyone - until now. Very well done, but also very dark. The description on Goodreads.com sets it up well, better than the one on Amazon. Here's the link:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40440.The_Thirteenth_Tale_A_Novel

And here's the quote from early in the book that got me hooked:

"All morning I struggled with the sensation of stray wisps of one world seeping through the cracks of another. Do you know the feeling when you start reading a new book before the membrane of the last one has had time to close behind you? You leave the previous book with ideas and themes -- characters even -- caught in the fibers of your clothes, and when you open the new book, they are still with you."
ChiffChaff -- Thanks. Wow, that passage is alluring! I'm off to read the description at the link you provided. Thanks so much! It must have been intriguing to listen to it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
that's a great book IMO...i just read it, I'm hoping for a book club when i reread it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
I read it, as did my book club, pretty much everyone liked it. It ends up being a little predictable, and it is sort of like if VC Andrews was a good writer IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow -- great reviews here as well!  I'm thinking of reading it as my first novel on K2  :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
I read it and thought it was really great.  Then I gave it to my mother, who's hobby is to read the first page of a book or watch the first 10 minutes of a movie/TV show and tell us who did it.

She never saw this one coming.  But she really liked it too.  We both read it in less than a weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
robin.goodfellow said:
I read it and thought it was really great. Then I gave it to my mother, who's hobby is to read the first page of a book or watch the first 10 minutes of a movie/TV show and tell us who did it.

She never saw this one coming. But she really liked it too. We both read it in less than a weekend.
Oh wow -- I love the sound of that! I'm so impatient. I wish I had time to read it as a DTB before K2 arrives on 2/25, but I should just be patient and read it as my first book on Kindle. Can't wait!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
I finished it last week -- it's a real page turner.

As for the year, I thought the parts with the twins at Angelfield was at the turn of the century. But mentioning the car and the cans of petrol, I was wondering when the car was bought -- probably around the time Mathilde Angelfield was still alive, so that means the story of the twins took place decades later...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh my, it must be a real mystery if you can't even tell the year!  I can't wait to read it.... :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
libro said:
Oh my, it must be a real mystery if you can't even tell the year! I can't wait to read it.... :eek:
I think it's left ambiguous to help set the mood of the novel -- it's very much in the style of a Gothic novel. I found it very reminiscent of Jane Eyre or Rebecca.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top