Kindle Forum banner

Has anyone read The Thirteenth Tale?

6K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  Maxx 
#1 ·
I've sent a sample of this novel to my K2 (2/25!) , but in the meantime I'm wondering if any of you have read this book. I'm rather confused what it's about, but it sure gets rave reviews. Thanks!

The Thirteenth Tale

See less See more
#2 ·
I listened to an Audible.com version of this a while back. Young author interviews famous older author, who has written lots of books but never told her own story to anyone - until now. Very well done, but also very dark. The description on Goodreads.com sets it up well, better than the one on Amazon. Here's the link:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40440.The_Thirteenth_Tale_A_Novel

And here's the quote from early in the book that got me hooked:

"All morning I struggled with the sensation of stray wisps of one world seeping through the cracks of another. Do you know the feeling when you start reading a new book before the membrane of the last one has had time to close behind you? You leave the previous book with ideas and themes -- characters even -- caught in the fibers of your clothes, and when you open the new book, they are still with you."

#3 ·
chiffchaff said:
I listened to an Audible.com version of this a while back. Young author interviews famous older author, who has written lots of books but never told her own story to anyone - until now. Very well done, but also very dark. The description on Goodreads.com sets it up well, better than the one on Amazon. Here's the link:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40440.The_Thirteenth_Tale_A_Novel

And here's the quote from early in the book that got me hooked:

"All morning I struggled with the sensation of stray wisps of one world seeping through the cracks of another. Do you know the feeling when you start reading a new book before the membrane of the last one has had time to close behind you? You leave the previous book with ideas and themes -- characters even -- caught in the fibers of your clothes, and when you open the new book, they are still with you."
ChiffChaff -- Thanks. Wow, that passage is alluring! I'm off to read the description at the link you provided. Thanks so much! It must have been intriguing to listen to it!

#11 ·
I read it and thought it was really great.  Then I gave it to my mother, who's hobby is to read the first page of a book or watch the first 10 minutes of a movie/TV show and tell us who did it.

She never saw this one coming.  But she really liked it too.  We both read it in less than a weekend.

#12 ·
robin.goodfellow said:
I read it and thought it was really great. Then I gave it to my mother, who's hobby is to read the first page of a book or watch the first 10 minutes of a movie/TV show and tell us who did it.

She never saw this one coming. But she really liked it too. We both read it in less than a weekend.
Oh wow -- I love the sound of that! I'm so impatient. I wish I had time to read it as a DTB before K2 arrives on 2/25, but I should just be patient and read it as my first book on Kindle. Can't wait!

#16 ·
I finished it last week -- it's a real page turner.

As for the year, I thought the parts with the twins at Angelfield was at the turn of the century. But mentioning the car and the cans of petrol, I was wondering when the car was bought -- probably around the time Mathilde Angelfield was still alive, so that means the story of the twins took place decades later...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.