Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, everyone!

I have a new release due in October (Book #4 - Of Fury and Fangs) and I am trying to decide the best method to get my pathetic pre-order numbers up. At first, I was going to run a Bargain Booksy ad since it's .99 cents from now until October 24th, but then I thought about doing a Freebooksy ad of the permafree first-in-series (see Of Cinder and Bone below in my sig), which tends to do well in most permafree site promotions. Then I noticed the fantasy/paranormal series promotion, seen here: https://secure.writtenwordmedia.com/features/free-booksy/promote-your-fantasy-paranormal-series-with-freebooksy. It's expensive for me, who barely has $100/month to work with, but that's why I wanted to ask you guys if you've tried it and seen good results.

Is it worth it to invest the $150 in the hopes that it gets all four books in the series traction or should I stick with just promoting OCAB for a more affordable price and hoping that readers filter through to the new release? FYI: There are links to all the series in the front covers of each book.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm darned proud of the cover and I can't get my signature to work, so here you go. Covers by BRose Designz.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
I have done series promotions through them, and I don't find the results very different from promoting individual books. BUT as a reader, I like going to their site and seeing the entire series in front of me, so FWIW, that's my two-part input. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indiecognito said:
I have done series promotions through them, and I don't find the results very different from promoting individual books. BUT as a reader, I like going to their site and seeing the entire series in front of me, so FWIW, that's my two-part input. :)
Okay, thanks for the info. It's a $40 difference, so I'm weighing it in my mind to see what makes more sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
I just ran one. Urban fantasy trilogy, book 1 free, books 2 and 3 at 99 cents. All in KU. I've made 60 percent of my money back already and it ran two days ago? So I'm pretty happy with it. I'd definitely try it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DmGuay said:
I just ran one. Urban fantasy trilogy, book 1 free, books 2 and 3 at 99 cents. All in KU. I've made 60 percent of my money back already and it ran two days ago? So I'm pretty happy with it. I'd definitely try it again.
That's good to know! Would you feel comfortable giving me a ballpark of how many downloads you received on the free title? I only have one title that'll be .99 cents so the sell thru might be different for me. I'm glad yours is doing well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DmGuay said:
I don't know that I can say definitively because I ran an ENT the same day. But, Freebooksy and ENT combined netted me 1500 free downloads.
Oh, okay, gotcha. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and try it since it's within budget and I really have got to get eyes on that fourth book. It's dying right now. Thanks so much for your help! I hope you get tons more royalties.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
kyokominamino said:
Oh, okay, gotcha. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and try it since it's within budget and I really have got to get eyes on that fourth book. It's dying right now. Thanks so much for your help! I hope you get tons more royalties.
I honestly went into the series promotions not expecting much. It was a "what the heck. Let's try it" moment. But, it's almost earned back, which I did not expect! I had more sales today and usually I expect to see a page read bump starting 4 or more days after a promotion, but the page reads are already rolling in!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am a unicorn said:
I'm glad you asked about this because I was wondering the same thing! I was considering it because I don't think I've ever used Freebooksy before but $100 is steep for me right now.
Freebooksy has great results. I am perpetually low on cash, so I've only used them once back in 2016 but my urban fantasy novel--which at the time didn't have that many reviews, but they gave me a shot--got 1900+ downloads that month. Most authors will tell you they're consistently good with getting you a high number of downloads and usually you continue to get downloads for days afterward if you promote a permafree title. I'll post the results for others to see, assuming the whole thing doesn't bomb. It IS 2020, after all. @[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
kyokominamino said:
Freebooksy has great results. I am perpetually low on cash, so I've only used them once back in 2016 but my urban fantasy novel--which at the time didn't have that many reviews, but they gave me a shot--got 1900+ downloads that month. Most authors will tell you they're consistently good with getting you a high number of downloads and usually you continue to get downloads for days afterward if you promote a permafree title. I'll post the results for others to see, assuming the whole thing doesn't bomb. It IS 2020, after all. @[email protected]
Yes. Please do post the results!
It is the summer slump, but mine did better than I thought. And I honestly think 2020 has been overall good for book sales. When people are bored and stay home, apparently the read more. lolz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
I am a unicorn said:
I'm glad you asked about this because I was wondering the same thing! I was considering it because I don't think I've ever used Freebooksy before but $100 is steep for me right now.
If you've never used Freebooksy before, they'll do absolutely stellar. I can't speak for the Series Promotion, but my first go round with a free promo with them saw me netting over 3k downloads. That, coupled with an ENT free promo, led to my first thousand quid month. They do suffer massively from diminishing returns, but first goes with them are always good with a fresh book they not promoed before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
It wasn't Freebooksy, but I ran a Fussy Librarian promo in May for a standalone offered as free and managed 604 downloads.  As of today, I have only achieved 551 KENP from it so far, all occurring in July.  Was hoping for better KENP numbers but they may still be trickling in soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
dm_pb_tx said:
It wasn't Freebooksy, but I ran a Fussy Librarian promo in May for a standalone offered as free and managed 604 downloads. As of today, I have only achieved 551 KENP from it so far, all occurring in July. Was hoping for better KENP numbers but they may still be trickling in soon.
Was it a first in series, or a standalone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
dm_pb_tx said:
Gareth,

As I stated, it was a standalone.
Haha, crap, I failed to see that bit. I blame the beer.

Yeah with a standalone free promos don't work like they did once upon a time. Used to be that you'd retain a rank boost after switching back from free to paid.

Nowadays the power of a free promo is in the rest of your series.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
kyokominamino said:
Freebooksy has great results. I am perpetually low on cash, so I've only used them once back in 2016 but my urban fantasy novel--which at the time didn't have that many reviews, but they gave me a shot--got 1900+ downloads that month. Most authors will tell you they're consistently good with getting you a high number of downloads and usually you continue to get downloads for days afterward if you promote a permafree title. I'll post the results for others to see, assuming the whole thing doesn't bomb. It IS 2020, after all. @[email protected]
I'm excited to see your results!
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top