Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has tried slipping the DX Amazon hinge case into the Oberon extra large journal or if someone might happen to have both and can test it?  Again, I want an Oberon when/if I get my DX, but I gotta have those hinges.  I am debating just keeping the DX in the Amazon Case period, but I am betting I get tired of it after a week and will want something from Oberon.  It's a good excuse to get a new color/design, too!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree! This is my question too.  I measured the Kindle DX cover from Amazon and it seems like it might fit inside the Oberon XL Journal...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, maybe someone at Oberon would know?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking of dropping them an email.  I will be sure to let ya'll know what they say!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been back and forth in email with Becca from Oberon and she says she'll try and find out for us even if it means buying a cover from Amazon to try themselves.  I've been looking at the sizes and it looks like it -should- work, but I hate to buy a cover then have to return it because it doesn't... plus I don't have my DX yet.  If I did I might go for it because I don't see why it wouldn't fit.  Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Scheherazade said:
I've been back and forth in email with Becca from Oberon and she says she'll try and find out for us even if it means buying a cover from Amazon to try themselves. I've been looking at the sizes and it looks like it -should- work, but I hate to buy a cover then have to return it because it doesn't... plus I don't have my DX yet. If I did I might go for it because I don't see why it wouldn't fit. Will keep you posted.
My concern is the location of the hinge. The hinge mechanism isn't actually attached to the spine as I originally thought, but on the back part of the cover (I'm sure there is a more technical term, but I don't know what it is). I think it might be harder to find an appropriate cover than appears obvious.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The K2 Hinge Cover is the same.  The hinge is placed just to the right of the "spine" to allow the cover to fold back on itself.  I have had no problems with the hinged K2 covrt fitting into the Large Journal and working the same (allowing it to fold back).  Becca did say her biggest concern with the DX fitting is the depth of the cover.  The DX itself is only .02" "deeper" than the K2, so I would assume this wouldn't be an issue, but we all know what happens with assumptions.  If I had my DX I would have probably bought one because they look like they should work, but since I don't I'll wait until she gets back to me.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
It seems like it should work, In theory.

But I do agree with luvmy4brats it seems like it would be VERY heavy. THe dx,plus the amazon cover ,plus the oberon cover. Thats alot going on but if it fits and its what someone wants than I hope it works.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I have no trouble with the weight of my K2 like that but the DX might get pretty heavy.  The prices of these covers are rising dramatically too... I might have to be happy with straps -_-  Half tempted to sew the hinge into another case or something if I had any idea how to do such a thing without worrying about it falling apart.  If the Oberon DX covers end up substantially cheaper than their XL Journals I may consider the strap thing.  I'm just way too happy with the hinges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts