Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about giving them a try with one of my new covers. I haven't used them before, but I like to vary things a little bit and it's always good to have a few options when you produce a fair amount of work like I do. But there have been so many horror stories that I'm being even more cautious these days than I used to be when I try someone new.

My initial research shows some great work and I haven't turned up anything negative, but I also have not spoken with someone personally who has used them before. I would appreciate any feedback you can offer or a PM if you feel that would be more appropriate.

Thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I hired him for my book. I'm supposed to get a a couple drafts today.

I can report that I have heard great things about him directly from John Waldron. I know Jessica Park used him as well for her NYT bestseller books.

Communication has been very good, from both him and Benjamin, who handles the book formatting portion of the business. I'll post the drafts here as soon as I get them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EdShull said:
I hired him for my book. I'm supposed to get a a couple drafts today.

I can report that I have heard great things about him directly from John Waldron. I know Jessica Park used him as well for her NYT bestseller books.

Communication has been very good, from both him and Benjamin, who handles the book formatting portion of the business. I'll post the drafts here as soon as I get them. Hope this helps.
It does help. Thank you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
MichaelWallace said:
I'm thinking about giving them a try with one of my new covers. I haven't used them before, but I like to vary things a little bit and it's always good to have a few options when you produce a fair amount of work like I do. But there have been so many horror stories that I'm being even more cautious these days than I used to be when I try someone new.

My initial research shows some great work and I haven't turned up anything negative, but I also have not spoken with someone personally who has used them before. I would appreciate any feedback you can offer or a PM if you feel that would be more appropriate.

Thanks!
Damon has done every one of my covers. I've been working with him for a year and a half now and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. He's always reliable. He's also extremely professional. He just shows the ebook covers in his samples, but he's also excellent at creating print covers.

Honestly, I can't think of one bad thing to say about him :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
JulietMoore said:
Damon has done every one of my covers. I've been working with him for a year and a half now and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. He's always reliable. He's also extremely professional. He just shows the ebook covers in his samples, but he's also excellent at creating print covers.

Honestly, I can't think of one bad thing to say about him :)
Love your covers, BTW. You're one of the authors whose books made me go with him.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So after browsing his site...seems like it is $395 for ONE cover, correct? If so, ouch.

Will definitely have to wait a year before I can afford that.

His examples though are impressive. I wonder if it is possible to do a cover with two-three specific characters and say, a pet that is integral to the plot?

Since it is my first year I am guessing I should run my business lean for the time being, but those covers are quite eye-catching.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the book category? I like that last one quite a bit...depending on the category. It wouldn't work for erom or thriller, for example. Contemporary or literary is a different story.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mathew Reuther said:
Then without knowing anything about the story itself, I'd say the last works best for me, and it does seem to work for the genre.
I agree. I like it a lot for that category. The other two don't do anything for me.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I like the second one. The first is depressing.

But the second could use some...birds?

Have to admit, doesn't seem really all that impressive, at least not for the cost. You could probably get something close to that just using gimp and simple stock images (except maybe the last one).

The last one looks a bit hard on the eyes. Is it readable as a thumbnail?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Soothesayer said:
The last one looks a bit hard on the eyes. Is it readable as a thumbnail?
When I zoom all the way out it's still very readable, and that makes it smaller than the Amazon buy page.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'd probably ask for something else, and if that's not possible I'd count the deposit as a loss (it's about $200, right?) and look for a $35-$50 premade cover. There's a ton of premades out there that look much better than these, especially those first two. I get no sense of what the book might be about by looking at any of these.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
the first one is by far my favorite, but i understand what you are saying about not being as great as you expected.  the second one is quite honestly awful IMO.  third is okay, but not compelling. 

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am really enjoying the text playing with the power lines in the first and the color play of blue and orange in the third.

These are really well done, I think the reaction is mostly emotional. The color in the first one seems a little sad, and I feel like it is maybe affecting how we feel about them all. I hope that makes sense.

The more I look at the first one, the more I like it. 

1 - 20 of 99 Posts