Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip next month to Copenhagen and Berlin and I thought how great it would be to have kindle travel guides instead of lugging around 2-3 DTBs when touring the sites. (Unfortunately unless you're planning a trip to Paris, London or Italy, your choices in Kindle guide books are rather limited.) Has anyone used a Kindle guide book (Frommers, Rick Steves, etc.) while traveling? Was it as easy to use as a "dead-tree" guide book?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I haven't, but it sounds like a stroke of genius to me!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
One of the first things I looked for once I got my K2 was this:

Disneyland's Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to the Disneyland Resort's Best-Kept Secrets (Disneyland's Hidden Mickey's)

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to keep clicking on the "tell the publisher" link as it's not available in Kindle format yet. But I thought it would be an absolutely brilliant idea to have it on my K2. :D

We've got a couple of Irish tourism books sampled at the moment; we'll be buying at least one of them for our trip this fall.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'll be honest with you, I didn't even realize that there *were* travel guides. This will definitely be something to look into when I go to Europe this fall. I mean, providing they are quite comprehensive.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
sixnsolid said:
I haven't, but it sounds like a stroke of genius to me!
Ditto! I'm going to visit my daughter at college this weekend, and I'm saving to text files some printouts from urban geocaching and Letterbox to use.

I recently put some personal recipes into text files and transferred to my KK to use in the kitchen (keeping my KK well protected from splashes & spills). It was very nice to have it there & not have created another piece of paper I would just pile or throw away.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I spend a month in Europe each year.  I keep the amount I pack down to nothing as we are on and off trains all the time, we visit 17 to 20 countries at a time.  My itinerary is 14 pages long.  I have had to rib up my frommers and Rick Steves guide books every year (I hate tearing up a book). 

This year I will be taking my new kindle with me it will be absolutely wonderful.  I will also be able to keep a copy of the itinerary on it.  I am looking forward to using it for just that purpose.

Have a great trip!  Copenhagen is beautiful and Berlin is so full of history.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm taking a little trip to the Finger Lakes region of NY this summer, but I just couldn't pull the trigger and buy the book in kindle format (the one book I was interested in was available both ways and was only a dollar or so cheaper in kindle format). Maybe if it was a bigger trip where I wanted more than one guidebook I would have done it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, I just bought the Frommers 2009 edition to Washington, DC for my kindle just before Easter and found it very useful. The maps were easy to view and the hotel and restaurant recommendations were right on. I think it was a worthwhile investment.

Dave

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I decided that I didn't really want to use guide books on the Kindle. I think I'll get much more out of a travel guide if I can actually flip through it. That's the ONE thing I don't like about the Kindle: It's tough to "aimlessly" read/flip through a book...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Saylorgirl said:
I spend a month in Europe each year. I keep the amount I pack down to nothing as we are on and off trains all the time, we visit 17 to 20 countries at a time. My itinerary is 14 pages long. I have had to rib up my frommers and Rick Steves guide books every year (I hate tearing up a book).

This year I will be taking my new kindle with me it will be absolutely wonderful. I will also be able to keep a copy of the itinerary on it. I am looking forward to using it for just that purpose.

Have a great trip! Copenhagen is beautiful and Berlin is so full of history.
If you are on one of Rick's Tours they encourage you to rip them apart. But you can always send it back and get a new one. I would imagine if anyone would be on the cutting edge of digital tour books it would be Rick Steves.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you end up doing it via Kindle - please report back on how it works for you. I am going to Paris shortly. I had bought the Rick Steve's guide (DTB) last year before I had my Kindle, but I really like the idea of having Kindle guidebooks to lighten the load. To have my tour books & all of my reading books in that one little package is like a dream come true! I thought about following Rick Steve's advice & ripping it up (which does feel so sacrilegeous) but in this case I'll probably want the majority of the book. Usually I have a book that covers an entire country when I'm only going to see be near 1/3 of it at best. I hadn't thought about putting my itinerary on the Kindle too - that's a great idea!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CoolMom1960 said:
If you are on one of Rick's Tours they encourage you to rip them apart. But you can always send it back and get a new one. I would imagine if anyone would be on the cutting edge of digital tour books it would be Rick Steves.
Unfortunately, he only offers a few of his guidebooks in Kindle versions. I actually sent an to his company a few weeks ago asking if they could make two of his guides I was interested in Kindle version. I got a quick response (under three hours). Here's how they responded:

Hello,
Thank you for the inquiry and your interest in having the Germany and
Scandinavia books available for the Kindle. As you may know, some of our
city guides are currently being sold for it already (Venice, Florence,
Rome, Paris, and London).

There may be some selections from the country-specific guides in the
future, but we do not know which chapters or have any dates determined
at this point; so, sorry, I don't know when/if the Germany or Scandinia
books will be available for the Kindle.
I will, however, share your message with our tech folks and book editors
here.
Thanks again.

Happy Travels,

ETBD Travel Team and Aaron
Travel Advisor
I broke down and bought the DTB of the guides I wanted. However, I would buy the Kindelized version of theses guides, if they are made available before my trip even though I have the DTBs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow, i never thought of this. The lighter your luggage is the better it is for traveling. K2 would be prefect for maps & guides

·
Registered
229 Posts
kyliedork said:
Wow, i never thought of this. The lighter your luggage is the better it is for traveling. K2 would be prefect for maps & guides
If you travel the "Rick Steves" way it is one carry-on suitcase and a backpack. I would have loved to have the kindle when we were in France for 3 weeks. But for now it's first trip will be to Key West next month. Now, if I could only get Tom Corcoran's newest offering on Kindle my trip would be complete.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm going to Scotland in July (visiting my wife's close friends).  I bought the Kindle Scottish Adventure Guide (only thing available) and will read that before and while I am there.  I will let you know how it works then.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used Rick Steves when we went to London last month.  I liked the attraction guides and tours.  Yes, it came in handy and I did a comparison between Frommers' and one other (can't remember off the top of my  head) that were available on Kindle and found Steves to be the best organized and easiest to use on the trip.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Diana said:
I used Rick Steves when we went to London last month. I liked the attraction guides and tours. Yes, it came in handy and I did a comparison between Frommers' and one other (can't remember off the top of my head) that were available on Kindle and found Steves to be the best organized and easiest to use on the trip.
One thing that we found also, if you are carrying a ETBD guide with you merchants etc are much friendlier.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I travel to Europe at least once a year.  I went to Spain in March... had travel guides on Kindle for Madrid and Barcelona.
AWESOME
:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts