Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know Twitter is popular, but when I looked at it, I didn't see it making much difference, so I didn't bother. There's just too much static to get through to make a difference.

If I were a celebrity or something I could see it helping.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm not an author, but I think Twitter can help if you use it right. And you definitely don't have to be a celebrity to get followers.

Last semester I interned for a small, independent newspaper (I'm talking tiny and completely unheard of) here in St. Louis, and I convinced my editor to let me start a Twitter for the paper. I started off by following some of the bigger newspapers and news stations in town like the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and KMOV, as well as St. Louis groups and organizations. That's how we got noticed, and now, we are up to more than 100 followers.

For authors, I would recommend following some book- and Kindle-related Twitters, like booktweets, bookfinds, thebookclub, dailykindle, kindlenews, etc. That will help you gain the attention of the audience you want (readers), and you may get followers that way.

Also, if you use #word anywhere in your post, people who search for that word will be able to find your Twitter. So for example, you could end all your posts with #author and people who search for the word "author" will find you.

Hope this helps. You could also do a Google search for how to get Twitter followers. I've seen several articles about it. Good luck!

·
Registered
463 Posts
David J. Guyton said:
Britt you've inspired me to investigate this Twitter thing again. Thanks for your input!
[/quote
David J. Guyton said:
I know Twitter is popular, but when I looked at it, I didn't see it making much difference, so I didn't bother. There's just too much static to get through to make a difference.

If I were a celebrity or something I could see it helping.
It seems to be geared towards careful feeding of stalkers, even for non-celebrities, and meaningless drivel you would not even put into a diary (at least one that anyone would want to re-read themselves, let alone anyone else want to read).

http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2009/03/funny-cartoon-the-twouble-with-twitters.html

For a business or a newspaper or a closed group, I can see where it would have value -- just not with how most people use it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't get Twitter, what is it about??  I think it became more popular after president Obama had an account there or said he uses it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
If you don't have any objections, I'm going to move this to Not Quite Kindle as it's Not Quite Book Corner. ;D

Betsy
Sorry. I thought that it was, since it is about books. But move away.

Best regards,

Sig
http://sigrosenblum.7p.com/

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
No problem, I thought about it a bit, but it's more about author sales and sales techniques and Twitter (which I need to learn more about) than the books themselves.

Thanks, Sig, for understanding!

Betsy

(However, it was supposed to go into Not Quite Kindle, my finger must have slipped!  I'll have someone move it.)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leslie & Betsy:

I see it all now (I'm so slow!): I was thinking of Kindle book sales, of course. But I didn't say so! However, I am happy with any forum you decide is correct.

It's interesting, I think, that some very detailed advice should come from someone--Britt--who is not an author. As they say: An idea doesn't care who has it!

Thanks to you both for your thoughtful hospitality.

Sig

·
Registered
599 Posts
sigrosenblum said:
It's interesting, I think, that some very detailed advice should come from someone--Britt--who is not an author. As they say: An idea doesn't care who has it!
I am a writer--but a journalist, not an author :)

And, of course, a Twitter enthusiast.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sweety18 said:
I don't get Twitter, what is it about??
It's a microblog, where you communicate with your followers in 140 characters or less and follow others. It's convenient because you can text in your updates from your cell phone. I think there is a short video intro about it on the site.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Not an author, though a quilting book isn't out the realm of possibility, but I'm starting to think this might be good for me too. Will look into it.

I did find this which was amusing if not useful:
http://twittervision.com/

Betsy

·
Registered
599 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I didn't even hear of Twitter until today...lol.  Well I signed up...guess what my name is?  Its way different then here...Nvrsleepsawink.  LOL...I couldn't fit Neversleepsawink.  I'll investigate more tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Britt said:
I am a writer--but a journalist, not an author :)

And, of course, a Twitter enthusiast.
What? You are elevating authors? You remember the old joke: What's the difference between a lawyer and an attorney? Answer: $200 an hour.

And you remember that garbagemen liked to be called sanitation engineers. And the caution to the young newspaper scribe: Today it's news. Tomorrow, they wrap fish in it.

Authors are writers, Britt. Welcome. And thanks again.

Sig

·
Registered
599 Posts
sigrosenblum said:
What? You are elevating authors? You remember the old joke: What's the difference between a lawyer and an attorney? Answer: $200 an hour.

And you remember that garbagemen liked to be called sanitation engineers. And the caution to the young newspaper scribe: Today it's news. Tomorrow, they wrap fish in it.

Authors are writers, Britt. Welcome. And thanks again.

Sig
To me, "writer" is an umbrella term, but the word "author" has the connotation of book/poetry writing, not journalism. So all authors are writers, but not all writers are authors. Just my opinion :) But if you want to call me an author I'm not going to argue :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Britt said:
To me, "writer" is an umbrella term, but the word "author" has the connotation of book/poetry writing, not journalism. So all authors are writers, but not all writers are authors. Just my opinion :) But if you want to call me an author I'm not going to argue :)
I'm going to call you a nice helpful member of the club. On the basis of your thoughts, I am sharpening my Twitter startegy--and we'll see!

Sig

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Twitter has some potential, but - like a lot of other tools - it's easy to accidentally spill over into spamming. I know I've gotten at least a few sales by answer folks who've asked for suggestions of things to read, but that's a model that - aside from trying it as a curiosity - isn't really an effective investment in time. And just repeatedly tweeting about your book(s) I think just gets ignored - at least that's my reaction to folks who do that.

Jan and I have had discussions about Twitter and other social network tools for the things we do from a business angle, and have decided to try and focus on our strengths. For example, I have a fair-sized (and growing) set of contacts on Facebook, while Jan gained a lot of Twitter followers quickly. So she focuses on Twitter for one aspect of our business(es), and I focus on Facebook (and, as I get used to it more, things like Goodreads.com).

The bottom line for us is that you only have so much time in the day, and while Twitter was addicting at first, I simply couldn't keep up with that and the other things I was trying to do...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts