Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Brilliant! Just wanted to share. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,391 Posts
I'd tend to group them with banjos: something I can appreciate when done well, and appropriate for certain types of music, but not something I want to listen to all the time. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, definitely not all the time and, myth aside, not what most Scottish music is. Or Irish for that matter. The Uillean pipe is the Irish version. The bagpipe is particularly suitable for martial music of course. Many instruments such as the violin are painful when poorly played and the pipes definitely fall into that category.

These are a couple of very good pipers. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,250 Posts
First time I have heard bagpipes was many moons ago in Wales. And oh boy, to call some of them beginners was being kind. Thankfully there were examples of good pipers around. I also learned the same lesson I learned when trying to make sounds come out of a trumpet before. Meaning, I could not make it do anything.  ;D
Much to the amusement of the natives.

Bagpipes to me just look and sounds so unique and I am trying to figure out how that uillean pipe is played. Those fingers are flying.

I like that one youtube comment on the top. "My feet won't stay still". So true. Just wanna tap along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the Uilleann pipe there is a small bellows strapped around the waist and one arm, so unlike the bagpipe, there is no need to blow into a bag. It has to make it easier to play you would think. But I've never even tried to play one. I'll stick to listening. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,391 Posts
Atunah said:
First time I have heard bagpipes was many moons ago in Wales. And oh boy, to call some of them beginners was being kind. Thankfully there were examples of good pipers around. I also learned the same lesson I learned when trying to make sounds come out of a trumpet before. Meaning, I could not make it do anything. ;D
Much to the amusement of the natives.

Bagpipes to me just look and sounds so unique and I am trying to figure out how that uillean pipe is played. Those fingers are flying.

I like that one youtube comment on the top. "My feet won't stay still". So true. Just wanna tap along.
It took me close to a week to get something that qualified as a musical sound out of the trumpet. Several years later, I was off to college as a music major with trumpet as my main performance instrument. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,250 Posts
NogDog said:
It took me close to a week to get something that qualified as a musical sound out of the trumpet. Several years later, I was off to college as a music major with trumpet as my main performance instrument. :)
I think I was lacking the lungs for it.
And all that spit was a bit turnoff at the time too for me. :-X. I went on to do organ/keyboards and later guitar. Not very good really at any of it. I prefer listening to music. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Atunah said:
I think I was lacking the lungs for it.
And all that spit was a bit turnoff at the time too for me. :-X. I went on to do organ/keyboards and later guitar. Not very good really at any of it. I prefer listening to music. :p
Another advantage of the Uilleann pipe: no spit. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,916 Posts
JRTomlin said:
With the Uilleann pipe there is a small bellows strapped around the waist and one arm, so unlike the bagpipe, there is no need to blow into a bag. It has to make it easier to play you would think. But I've never even tried to play one. I'll stick to listening. :)
I was at an Irish music concert tonight (no pipes, though) so this thread immediately caught my eye. I like bagpipes myself, especially the Irish uilleann pipes, but agree with the thoughts above - not a steady diet, and hopefully played well.

I've never tried playing any type of bagpipe, but I've often heard the uilleann pipes described as one of the most difficult instruments to play. I don't know how it compares to other bagpipes. But the player has to keep the air going (by pumping the bellows with an elbow) while keeping the melody chanter and drones coordinated. Then there are something called the regulators, which I've seen players hit with the side of their wrist while using the main part of their hands to keep everything else going. Impressive to hear and watch, but I'll also stick to listening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
Enjoyed this - thanks for posting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
There is nothing better than massed bagpipes and drums.  Of course that may be my Scottish heritage speaking...

Even my little 2 year old enjoys them. 
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top