Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if my short books are more apt to get refunded by scummy people who read them in a day or two and decide to get their money back. My novella Desolate (25K words) has 96 units sold, 8 refunded this month. Windigo Soul (35K words) 245 sold, 7 refunded.

I admit it doesn't bother me TOO much, and they may all be legitimate refunds by people that read a few pages and hated them, but I wonder...

What sort of refund ratios do you folks usually see?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Robert Brumm said:
I wonder if my short books are more apt to get refunded by scummy people who read them in a day or two and decide to get their money back. My novella Desolate (25K words) has 96 units sold, 8 refunded this month. Windigo Soul (35K words) 245 sold, 7 refunded.

I admit it doesn't bother me TOO much, and they may all be legitimate refunds by people that read a few pages and hated them, but I wonder...

What sort of refund ratios do you folks usually see?
If you imagine that the refunds are from disgruntled clients who could just as easily post a negative review, you might not mind the refunds so much.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I used to very rarely get refunds, but since Amazon India opened, I get about 1 in 10, though my sales in general have risen. I think people are learning to game the system, and there's probably not much that can be done about it. Though Assassin is right, they could be leaving bad reviews, and it's good they aren't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
About five minutes after I announced my book was up for sale I got a purchase/refund. Then about a half an hour or so later my book was up for free on one of those piracy sites. Totally sucks thing for that person to do!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kspringer said:
About five minutes after I announced my book was up for sale I got a purchase/refund. Then about a half an hour or so later my book was up for free on one of those piracy sites. Totally sucks thing for that person to do!
WOW! Now I feel bad for complaining. Yeesh....

Good point about the reviews but I'm sure plenty of people do both.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
kspringer said:
I understand your anger, but I think that those who trawl the waters of piracy in search of pirated ebooks are not the type to ever buy a book, so don't fear too much about lost sales.

It's like the perma-free ebooks - someone noticed how many free copies of Microchip Murder had been downloaded and was calculating how much money I would've received if it was still 99c. I told them to stop calculating - the reason I had that many downloads was because it was free. I calculate, based on the figures of the 99c edition, that 95% of my free downloads don't really care what the book is about, they just snap it up because it's free and it will doubtlessly sink to the bottom of their freebie TBR list. I just hope the remaining 5% actually reads the short story and the teaser chapter and starts buying the Amsterdam Assassin Series. If it's more than that, I count myself lucky indeed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, one of my more experienced epubbing friends told me that too-- that those people who pirate were never going to buy it anyway. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
kspringer said:
Yeah, one of my more experienced epubbing friends told me that too-- that those people who pirate were never going to buy it anyway. Oh well.
It's the same with music - if you are a real fan of the band, you buy the CD, you don't download the freebie from a piracy website.

I put it in the back of my novels - if you want me to have a regular output, make sure to support me by buying my books and spreading the word. [Right now, I haven't even earned by the money I put in publishing my series, so I need the sales to show my family that I'm not crazy to do this.]

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I don't hate the refunds. With my serial you can see the refunds flowing through the entire series, as people read, then return, every book I put out.

I don't care though. It's mostly mildly amusing. No point getting angry over things you can't change. :D

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
David Adams said:
I don't hate the refunds. With my serial you can see the refunds flowing through the entire series, as people read, then return, every book I put out.

I don't care though. It's mostly mildly amusing. No point getting angry over things you can't change. :D
Yes.

I have more titles now, and I see clear patterns. Most days I don't mind, but on slow sales days, it can send my charts into the negative for the day. :'(

·
Registered
345 Posts
I published my first novella in November (my other titles are full length novels), and this month I also had 8 return on the novella. Six of those were in one day! That freaked me out for a moment. I've never had that many returns on any of my other books in a single month. I was wondering the same thing as the OP - readers read it fast, and then return.
I asked some of my readers if they were experiencing problems with the book on their kindles, wondering if it might have been a formatting issue I was not aware of, but everyone told me there was no problem. Not gonna cry about it, but it is a bit annoying.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I know you're probably just venting and that's fine. I will just say that this is one of those things that you can't do anything about, and while it sucks, it's probably best not to worry about it. Let it go... :)

Now, I would say that if your refund rate hits higher than 10 percent, maybe you better investigate why. Formatting wrong? Wrong category? Hmmmm... Book just sucks? :)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that my return ratio is much higher in the .com store than it is in the other international stores--about 4.5% (US) vs. 1.7% (rest of Amazon countries). Does that mean American ebook shoppers are less ethical?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Mike McIntyre said:
One thing I've noticed is that my return ratio is much higher in the .com store than it is in the other international stores--about 4.5% (US) vs. 1.7% (rest of Amazon countries). Does that mean American ebook shoppers are less ethical?
Or do .com buyers understand the system more? .com has way more visitors than the others combined. Percentages are nice, but how many books do you sell through .com and how many through .ca, or .de?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am sure there's many who play the system to save themselves a few bux. I reckon it'd be the same anywhere though, or at least the majority of places.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts