Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you like it or not?  Which model is it?  I'm just starting to investigate them and wondered what you think of them.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have a Garmin, I think it's the C230. I love the thing. I don't use it all the time, but when I go somewhere I am not familiar with, it's very handy. We took it with us when we went to Sonoma last year, and it was great to have in the rental car.... Much easier than consulting a map all the time.

Mine is an older/discontinued model, I bought it refurbished from Buy.com last year. Unless you have very specific needs, like you want it to fit in your pocket, it shouldn't cost more than $100 or so. Mine came with the maps (USA only) pre-installed. Some places will try to charge you to install the maps, don't fall for it.

Once you have it, there are no additional charges, unless you want to update/install new maps, or if you want realtime traffic (monthly fee).

·
Registered
368 Posts
Garmin Nuvi 750. I got it for my husband for Christmas to replace a Michellin that was more problem than help. The Garmin, on the other hand, is wonderful. I like it because it tells you the name of the street or exit you will be taking instead of just "turn right in 200 feet". I would recommend it to anyone. It makes going too new places much easier.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We have a Garmin Nuvi 650 (I think) and LOVE it. We use it all the time. Not only is it great for getting to a particular destination, we use it when we aren't familiar with restaraunts, stores etc in a particular area. Occassionally we have a bit of trouble because it won't have a newer road listed yet (and we have the latest maps downloaded). I got mine at Amazon when it was a daily deal and paid around $120??

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can't remember the model numbers but my dad has a Garmin and I have a Tomtom. For the most part they seem to work about the same and have the same features. We're happy with them. I love that you can enter an address and go straight there.

If you're interested in the Tomtom, I can get the model number of mine when I get home.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My boyfriend has a Garmin Nuvi something.  Not sure of the actual number.  I was not convinced I would like it for the simple reason I hate all the cords hanging down and something smudging up my window.  I know, silly reasons.  What can I say.  We used it when we moved my daughter to Ashville, NC back in November and it was awesome.  It helped us find her apartment, restuarants, our hotel.  The next day I was able to use it to find and write down directions to the DMV, the college, Wal-Mart.  It's definitely nice and I am now convinced, smudged windshield and all.
deb

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
We have a TomTom that's a few years old.  DH just got a Garmin at Sam's - the Nuvi 205W I think, based on the price on Sam's site (it's in his van or I could check).  He likes it much better.  The TomTom was fine but the display on the Garmin is much brighter & better, plus it's a little smaller even though the screen is as big if not bigger.  Just newer, better technology, plus the Garmin had a few features he liked over the TomTom when he decided to replace it.  We used it going to Atlanta last weekend - we knew where we were going, but he was testing it out anyway.  I do wish sometimes we'd just gotten a built-in one with the van, but he hadn't seen real good reports on it so we're stuck with the wires.  :p  I used the Ford GPS in my daughter's Edge when I was visiting her in CA last year & did like it (didn't do much more that ask it how to get "home" a few times, but it worked). 

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I have a Garmin nuvi 265 for the car, and a Garmin eTrex Venture HC for off-road navigation (I'm a geocacher). Both work very well and I'd recommend them to friends. I'm perfectly happy with the nuvi, but I wish I'd bought the Venture model that accepts SD cards.

I tend to give the units a real workout, swapping databases in and out of memory every few days.

Mike

·
Registered
417 Posts
dixielogs said:
Garmin Nuvi 660 here and love it. get the beanbag thing to hold it instead of suctioning it onto the windshield
I've looked at the beanbags. Do they move around or do they pretty much stay put?

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. It accepts SD cards, I have the Europe atlas, it came on a SD card, though I need to update that before we go to Finland this summer.

We use a beanbag. I found the suction cup unreliable (I'm willing to agree it could be user error) but in California and at least one other state it is illegal to attach them to the winshield, so we needed the beanbag for our sojourns in San Diego. It's easy to move the beanbag from car to car (we have several.)

I like the Garmin a lot. At the time we got it, it was one of the few in its price range to use Text to Speech to give actual street names when giving directions, i.e., "Turn right on Lee St" instead of "Turn right in .2 miles". I think most of them do that now, though I haven't researched since we have ours.

We call ours "The Hussy" and I'm quite sure it's saved our marriage if not my husband's life.....

Betsy

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have a Magellan (not sure about the exact model). Touch screen, clear voice, shows you on the map where all the gas stations, restaurants and banks are automatically but you can also search by place. I absolutely love it, the only thing is that it doesn't account for construction work, so if I'm driving it may unknowingly lead me to a road or freeway where construction is being done. But if I change direction it quickly recognizes where I am and tells me how to get to my destination from there.

My mom and stepdad have one also, and they took it with them on their 10th anniversary trip to Yosemite... that was a year ago and I bet they'd STILL be lost somewhere in the woods if they didn't have Sally to guide them!

·
Registered
368 Posts
We also have the bean bag for our Garmin (mentioned in previous post).  We live in California so it is the law, but honestly I like it better.  The bean bag has never moved and we have used it in multiple cars and our motorhome.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I have a Magellan and my DH has a Garmin (not sure of the model numbers) and we both like them. Both of us travel for work and they are great for that. So far, both have given us great driving directions.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Mollyb52 said:
We also have the bean bag for our Garmin (mentioned in previous post).
I have one of those, also. I've lost track of how many times I've gone around a corner and had the GPSr go flying across the car. And I don't corner that fast. I'd prefer the windshield mount if I could get Garmin closer and more conveniently seen.

Mike

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
We have a Magellan named Becky and she has guided us on numerous trips. DH will not travel anywhere without her but I am still at the not trusting her completely stage of the relationship (I still insist on taking paper maps too!). He also takes great delight in NOT taking her directions sometimes just to hear her say "recalculating route" and to see where she re-routes us to. ;D

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't own one since we don't live on the road system and know every possible street, but I've very much appreciated the GPS systems in rental cars when traveling. I found Magellan very easy and stress free to use when we were in Florida for a funeral with no time to get lost.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
though I need to update that before we go to Finland this summer.
Hi Betsy, I am really interested in your trip to Finland. My husband is Finnish thru and thru. We would like to travel there when we retire. How long do you plan to be gone? I hope you will share your experiences and photos.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
We have -- or should I say had -- an ancient Garmin. I don't even know where it is right now. I remember it cost a bundle and the maps came on CDs that also cost a bundle. We used it alot on our trip to Norway in 2005 and that was about it. Now my husband uses the GPS in his iPhone to get us where we're going.

L

1 - 20 of 77 Posts