Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you think.

I didn't have a clue when I first uploaded my book which came in at 12 stories @ 65,000 words, or approx 300 pages in a trade paperback and set the price at for 99c as a new author, to hopefully attract readers.

I can't complain as to how it is doing in America or the UK, but I notice since I uploaded, quite a few stories at 5,000 words plus for 99c. I also see quite a few novellas at around 17,000 words doing well at the same price. Do you think I would have been better splitting it in to at least 2 books?

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
IMHO, raise the price to 2.99

And also break the thing up into four trilogies of related stories, and sell those for 99 cents. (Mention in the description that there is a bigger collection of all stories too.)  You could also publish the longer short stories as stand alones -- many people succeed at that -- but I myself don't do it because I myself won't buy anything less than a novelette for 99 cents.

By offering smaller and larger collections, you hit several different preferences.

Camille

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
daringnovelist said:

And also break the thing up into four trilogies of related stories, and sell those for 99 cents. (Mention in the description that there is a bigger collection of all stories too.) You could also publish the longer short stories as stand alones -- many people succeed at that -- but I myself don't do it because I myself won't buy anything less than a novelette for 99 cents.

By offering smaller and larger collections, you hit several different preferences.

Camille
I have to admit I have been thinking along those lines. Also, although I have bought a novelette, it is not something I would normally buy, but some people must buy them because I have seen quite a few novelettes and small word count collections doing quite well in the charts. I have the proof for the Create Space Book which will retail on Amazon at $8.99. It is going to look stupid with the book at that price and the ebook at $0.99. I was thinking more along the lines of $4.99 for the full ebook and splitting the book into three and putting a price of 99c, which would make each compilation average just over 20,000 words. But there again it is down to if the readers would be prepared to buy in that sort of a package. I know I would probably not sell as many and would drop out of the chart rankings ... so it really is a quandary. I was hoping for more views on the subject.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
daringnovelist said:

And also break the thing up into four trilogies of related stories, and sell those for 99 cents. (Mention in the description that there is a bigger collection of all stories too.) You could also publish the longer short stories as stand alones -- many people succeed at that -- but I myself don't do it because I myself won't buy anything less than a novelette for 99 cents.

Camille
I agree with this 100%.

The more ways you give a customer to buy your product the easier the sale is.

Experiment with $2.99 for a minimum of one month. If it's a success, then go to the trouble of splitting the stories up for a lower price bracket.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Listen to Camille! By doing this you accomplish a number of things. First, you get multiple titles out there for readers to choose from. If they like one of the .99 collections, they are likely to go looking for more by the same author, and you will conveniently have it there for them. Next, you have the potential to reach a new customer base who tends to steer away from anything priced below 2.99 because they are concerned about quality. You will also appeal to people who first discover you and decide that rather than spend .99 for a small collection, it is a better bargain to drop 2.99 for everything combined! You get new readers AND you get higher profits!

I'm in the process of writing three novellas which I will sell for .99 each, and then I will offer all three combined for 2.99. I'll probably throw in a couple of extra short stories with the collection to sweeten the pot. Shoot for the moon!

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dgaughran said:
I agree with this 100%.

The more ways you give a customer to buy your product the easier the sale is.

Experiment with $2.99 for a minimum of one month. If it's a success, then go to the trouble of splitting the stories up for a lower price bracket.
I live in Brazil and my 99c book is priced at $2.99 because of taxes. Yours must be priced at less than the 99c minimum, because they are for sale at $1.14 icluding taxes in Brazil. Can you tell me what price it is for sale at in the US and if it is less than 99c how you have done that. I am just wondering because your stories seem to be around 2/2500 words and each of mine average 5,000 per story. At that rate I could have 12 seperate uploads.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Decon said:
I live in Brazil and my 99c book is priced at $2.99 because of taxes. Yours must be priced at less than the 99c minimum, because they are for sale at $1.14 icluding taxes in Brazil. Can you tell me what price it is for sale at in the US and if it is less than 99c how you have done that. I am just wondering because your stories seem to be around 2/2500 words and each of mine average 5,000 per story. At that rate I could have 12 seperate uploads.
Hi Declan,

I have two e-books out - first is a two pack of 2000 word stories - 4000 total length. I think that's the absolute minimum for that price. It's touch and go. Even overwhelmingly positive reviews mentioned the length. The other story was 5,700 words, which hasn't attracted any complaints about length.

I'm sure there are people that won't pay that for a short story - lots of people - but I have sold 107 copies of the first story in just over 3 weeks and 42 of the second story in just over a week (totals for UK & US).

I will bundle five together for $2.99, and ten together for $4.99. Again, I'm sure there are lots of people that won't pay that, but I'm hoping enough will. Time will tell.

I set the price for all stories at the 99 cent minimum and tick the box to price match in the UK to get the price down to 70p. Nothing else.

It goes for 99 cent in the US, $1.16 in Ireland, and $3.44 or something in the countries outside of Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada, UK, Ireland and Germany because Amazon adds a $2 Whispernet Surcharge in those countries. They used to add it in Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Canada too, but they got rid of it.

I agree with Camille as well about the advantages of increasing your virtual shelf space. The more ways you give readers to discover your little world, the more sales you will make.

Dave

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
IMHO, it should not be cheaper to buy each of the individual stories than it is to buy the collection.

So if you split it into thirds and charge 99 cents for each, you shouldn't charge 4.99.  Particularly since you make a higher return on the full collection, so you want to encourage people to buy that rather than the smaller collections.

Camille

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dgaughran said:
Hi Declan,

I have two e-books out - first is a two pack of 2000 word stories - 4000 total length. I think that's the absolute minimum for that price. It's touch and go. Even overwhelmingly positive reviews mentioned the length. The other story was 5,700 words, which hasn't attracted any complaints about length.

I'm sure there are people that won't pay that for a short story - lots of people - but I have sold 107 copies of the first story in just over 3 weeks and 42 of the second story in just over a week (totals for UK & US).

I will bundle five together for $2.99, and ten together for $4.99. Again, I'm sure there are lots of people that won't pay that, but I'm hoping enough will. Time will tell.

I set the price for all stories at the 99 cent minimum and tick the box to price match in the UK to get the price down to 70p. Nothing else.

It goes for 99 cent in the US, $1.16 in Ireland, and $3.44 or something in the countries outside of Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada, UK, Ireland and Germany because Amazon adds a $2 Whispernet Surcharge in those countries. They used to add it in Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Canada too, but they got rid of it.

I agree with Camille as well about the advantages of increasing your virtual shelf space. The more ways you give readers to discover your little world, the more sales you will make.

Dave
Thats really interesting because we are the same price in America at 99c but mine is 1.85 more expensive in Brazil. So I am guessing that is because of the wispernet charge and the file size.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steven R. Drennon said:
Listen to Camille! By doing this you accomplish a number of things. First, you get multiple titles out there for readers to choose from. If they like one of the .99 collections, they are likely to go looking for more by the same author, and you will conveniently have it there for them. Next, you have the potential to reach a new customer base who tends to steer away from anything priced below 2.99 because they are concerned about quality. You will also appeal to people who first discover you and decide that rather than spend .99 for a small collection, it is a better bargain to drop 2.99 for everything combined! You get new readers AND you get higher profits!

I'm in the process of writing three novellas which I will sell for .99 each, and then I will offer all three combined for 2.99. I'll probably throw in a couple of extra short stories with the collection to sweeten the pot. Shoot for the moon!
I think I am going to do something. I work it out that each of my stories currently work out at $0.0825, per story.or 0.058p in the UK.
I make no wonder the book is number 4 in the UK charts for its category. And there was me thinking it was because the Brits like stories set in America.lol. It's a pity there are no readers responding to my query, It would be good to have a readers point of view. Although I can't see them voting for me to put my price up.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You have a lot of options (many listed here).  The one I hear the most is:

- Post each story individully @ 99 cents (because some people just want one story to read on their smart phone)
- Post a collection of 5 stories @ 2.99 (so they are getting 5 stories for the price of 3)
- Post a larger collection of 10 stories at 4.99 (so they are getting a 50% discount on each story)

I only have 2 stories out, under different pen names, so that is not an option for me.  Yet.  But I find everyone's opinions on this quite interesting and informative.

Like I said, lots of options.  Good luck.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I can tell you what worked for me and what you should do, but I write erotic fiction so it might not work for your stories. If they were mine, I'd split them into three books and charge $0.99 for each. As a whole I would charge $2.99. These numbers are the sellers in my opinion. I say go for it, you might be surprised with the results.

All the best of luck.

Carl

·
Registered
644 Posts
Another way to go, assuming your short stories are 5000 words each, is to sell them all individually at $0.99 each and the whole thing at $2.99. Three kinds of people will buy them. The first is the kind that is looking for a bargain. They will immediately buy the $2.99 book, because they know that all twelve seperately would cost them almost $12. The next kind of buyers are the ones that don't look past $0.99 and these will take a chance on one of your $0.99 books and might buy another the following week. The best kind though, are those that try a $0.99 book first and if they like it, will then invest in the $2.99 book.

Good luck.

Carl

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Carl246 said:
Another way to go, assuming your short stories are 5000 words each, is to sell them all individually at $0.99 each and the whole thing at $2.99. Three kinds of people will buy them. The first is the kind that is looking for a bargain. They will immediately buy the $2.99 book, because they know that all twelve seperately would cost them almost $12. The next kind of buyers are the ones that don't look past $0.99 and these will take a chance on one of your $0.99 books and might buy another the following week. The best kind though, are those that try a $0.99 book first and if they like it, will then invest in the $2.99 book.

Good luck.

Carl
Carl both your suggestions make sense. Yesterday I completed all 12 covers for each story, my only concern is all the posts out there that say lunch break thillers is 99c. It would take some doing to track them all down.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Decon said:
Carl both your suggestions make sense. Yesterday I completed all 12 covers for each story, my only concern is all the posts out there that say lunch break thillers is 99c. It would take some doing to track them all down.
On the other hand, that could mean they are 99c each depending on what was said and how you said it. You might be able to modify them slightly. If you are going to track them down - start with the newest first and the ones on the most popular sites - the rest will get few if any eyeballs.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dgaughran said:
On the other hand, that could mean they are 99c each depending on what was said and how you said it. You might be able to modify them slightly. If you are going to track them down - start with the newest first and the ones on the most popular sites - the rest will get few if any eyeballs.
When you quoted your sales, did that include any through smashwords? I don't have anything on smashwords

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Smashwords sales were included. There were six when I gave those figures (and one more overnight). This is relatively high for Smashwords, and I am not sure of the exact reason. I think it's because I know quite a few people in "international" locations and directed them to Smashwords to avoid the $2 Whispernet surcharge.

I'm not in the Premium Catalogue yet - these are all direct SW sales.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
TWGallier said:
You have a lot of options (many listed here). The one I hear the most is:

- Post each story individully @ 99 cents (because some people just want one story to read on their smart phone)
- Post a collection of 5 stories @ 2.99 (so they are getting 5 stories for the price of 3)
- Post a larger collection of 10 stories at 4.99 (so they are getting a 50% discount on each story)

I only have 2 stories out, under different pen names, so that is not an option for me. Yet. But I find everyone's opinions on this quite interesting and informative.

Like I said, lots of options. Good luck.
Good advice! It never occurred to me people would want to read a story on their smart phone, mainly because don't have a smart phone or anything like it! This way you'll make more money. I like the idea of giving the reader a range of choices. And it will only mean more money in the bank for you, Declan!

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
J. Carson Black said:
Good advice! It never occurred to me people would want to read a story on their smart phone, mainly because don't have a smart phone or anything like it! This way you'll make more money. I like the idea of giving the reader a range of choices. And it will only mean more money in the bank for you, Declan!
It's becoming very popular in London. People can read on the Tube off their phone (where there is no wife or phone signal). 3 million people use the Tube every day with an average journey time of 40 minutes.

Outside of that, smartphones are the e-reader of choice in much of Europe (especially Spain and Italy) and that is not expected to change until e-readers become a LOT cheaper and are more in line with the relatively cheap cost of living.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts