Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met with my creative team at work on Friday (summers are slower in advertising :-\) and started getting their input on cover options for my work in progress. Since it is going to be a series, I want to have covers that can easily be tweaked to fit the overall brand, but have originality too. So, while I'm being peppered with questions about the characters and whatnot, we're flipping through stock photography to get a feel for the mood of the book and inspiration strikes! I'm not ready to share it yet, but I think that it's not only unique and fits wonderfully with the story, but rewriting certain parts to mesh with this new theme are actually going to improve where I was going with the books.

Has this ever happened to you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
I changed the colour of the heroine's hair in The Steadfasting to match the stock photo. But that's it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
D.A. Boulter said:
I changed the colour of the heroine's hair in The Steadfasting to match the stock photo. But that's it.
That was one of the major reasons I picked the cover for ADoR... I couldn't find a woman with the right hair. LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
No. But if the cover rocks and there's no way you'll weaken the story by changing aspects, go for it! You can't go wrong when the artwork ties in with the prose, imo :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
WriterGurl1 said:
I met with my creative team at work on Friday (summers are slower in advertising :-\) and started getting their input on cover options for my work in progress. Since it is going to be a series, I want to have covers that can easily be tweaked to fit the overall brand, but have originality too. So, while I'm being peppered with questions about the characters and whatnot, we're flipping through stock photography to get a feel for the mood of the book and inspiration strikes! I'm not ready to share it yet, but I think that it's not only unique and fits wonderfully with the story, but rewriting certain parts to mesh with this new theme are actually going to improve where I was going with the books.

Has this ever happened to you?
Never had to have a cover before. I certainly wouldn't change anything for a cover either. I'm a writer, not an artist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,706 Posts
I changed the physical description of the amulet in The Amulet to match the one on the cover.

Before the cover:

It was some kind of necklace. Attached to a intricate silver chain was a flat black oval shaped rock, encased along it edges by a silver edging. The rock was about two inches high and one inch wide, and about a quarter inch thick.
After the cover:

It was some kind of necklace. Attached to a thin silver chain was a black teardrop shaped rock, about two inches tall and an inch at its widest point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
WriterGurl1 said:
I'm not ready to share it yet, but I think that it's not only unique and fits wonderfully with the story, but rewriting certain parts to mesh with this new theme are actually going to improve where I was going with the books.

Has this ever happened to you?
Nothing as serious as this, but yes. In my upcoming release I changed the color of the dress my main character is wearing to match cover. My entire novella takes place in 24 hours and the dress played a roll in the story. The color of the garment wasn't really important. My cover artist drew a red one and it was so great, I had to change it in the story.

~ Jenna
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
I have been extremely fortunate to date with all my cover images. I tend to spend hours picking good stock images to work with rather than change anything in my story. It's amazing what you can do with picture editors nowadays.

But inspiration striking whilst looking at an image does not surprise me at all. Makes perfect sense :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
I once changed hair color to match a stock photo, too.  And may I just add that it's AWESOME to be able to do this.  My single experience with traditional publishing was frustrating, because the cover artist drew a nineteenth-century Louisiana plantation house in the background instead of an eighteenth-century Virginia plantation house (and believe me, there is a big difference!).  When I pointed it out to the publisher, they basically said, "Sorry, it's done, can't change anything."  *headdesk*  I hate having inaccuracies on my covers, and it's nice that I now have total control over that kind of thing!
 
Joined
·
7,412 Posts
I received Peter's cover for Dance of Cloaks while I was still writing the book. Took one look at the long red cloak and went "that's awesome...but it's never red in the book. Wait. That's an easy fix."

So two chapters later had that character cut herself and drip blood onto her cloak, giving it magical powers to help her slaughter a few people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
My second novel, Intolerable Loyalty, is waiting in the wings. I hired an artist to do an original illustration (oil painting), and it looks fabulous--every bit as over-the-top gorgeous as the original cover for Cartier's Ring. Diala gave the heroine red hair to match the red-white-and-blue colour scheme for the cover (it's a Revolutionary War novel), and it fits so beautifully I've decided to go back and change my MC's hair colour from black to red. It doesn't really matter what the woman's hair colour is, for the purposes of the story, but since it fits so nicely into the cover requirements, I was happy to adjust the story in a minor way to accommodate a richer artistic expression of my character's dilemma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
I haven't. What I have done is struggle to make my cover reflect something that doesn't exist in this world: the tattoo that HELPER12 has is a tricky thing--the "B" she was branded with initially, which was then lasered out, and covered with an "H." I think I succeeded well (if you enlarge the cover you can see well) and I am so pleased, because as a reader one of the things I have always loved is a cover that shows something that doesn't really exist, in a way that makes it seem like it does!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
If I loved the cover, yes, I would do it :) I almost changed a murder scene in the book I'm currently writing because my GA put the victim on tile and it looked really cool on the cover, but when she changed it to dirt like it was supposed to be, it looked cool too, so I kept it. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,796 Posts
WriterGurl1 said:
I met with my creative team at work on Friday (summers are slower in advertising :-\) and started getting their input on cover options for my work in progress. Since it is going to be a series, I want to have covers that can easily be tweaked to fit the overall brand, but have originality too. So, while I'm being peppered with questions about the characters and whatnot, we're flipping through stock photography to get a feel for the mood of the book and inspiration strikes! I'm not ready to share it yet, but I think that it's not only unique and fits wonderfully with the story, but rewriting certain parts to mesh with this new theme are actually going to improve where I was going with the books.

Has this ever happened to you?
Umm, not exactly.

I've not actually done it yet.

However, when Glendon Haddix finalized my cover for Most Likely, I was so taken by people's reaction to the heart pendant the girl was wearing, I very nearly considered going back into the novel and adding a reference to Becky wearing a heart-shaped pendant.

Ultimately, though, I decided not to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,796 Posts
Half-Orc said:
I received Peter's cover for Dance of Cloaks while I was still writing the book. Took one look at the long red cloak and went "that's awesome...but it's never red in the book. Wait. That's an easy fix."

So two chapters later had that character cut herself and drip blood onto her cloak, giving it magical powers to help her slaughter a few people.
And there's was that time where you had a half-orc/half-Beiber in one of your books... Not sure which half was most hideous... The orc half had its redeeming qualities, though, LOL... not so sure about the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
CraigInTwinCities said:
And there's was that time where you had a half-orc/half-Beiber in one of your books... Not sure which half was most hideous... The orc half had its redeeming qualities, though, LOL... not so sure about the other.
Bwa ha ha ha ha!

Vicki
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top