Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever felt traumatised after reading a book, just because it ended? I remember feeling like this about Troy by Adele Geras, partly because the ending was so sad, but partly because I couldn't bear to leave the characters behind. I also felt like that when coming to the end of His Dark Materials. I just didn't want to let Will and Lyra go! Crazy how books can affect you like that isn't it?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Traumatized might not be the right word, but I felt pretty close when the Harry Potter series ended. The books, not the movies. The Hunger Games series pretty much ripped my heart out, too. Series are harder because you've had more than one book to get to know the characters, and then it just ends.

I finished Solstice by P.J. Hoover the other day, and I did NOT want it to end. I want to read the sequel right now, but the first one only came out a month ago, so I don't know when the sequel is coming! :(

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I read a book once where the main character's family was pulled by a runaway carriage over the side of a cliff. And that was the end. Talk about traumatizing. Part of me was furious the author would leave everything hanging like that, without even an indication of whether anyone survived. But I have to admit I rushed out and bought the sequel as quickly as possible, so maybe the author's devious scheme worked. Turned out there were no survivors, by the way.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Not traumatized so much as heartbroken, especially with series. I usually wander around moping for a week or two, reread the book(s) at least once, and eat a lot of ice cream. It's like a breakup! I call these kinds of books IWIHA (I wish I had amnesia) so I could go back and reread them without knowing what will happen so I could experience them fresh. This definitely happened to me with both the Harry Potter series and Megan Whalen Turner's Attolia series.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Dara England said:
I read a book once where the main character's family was pulled by a runaway carriage over the side of a cliff. And that was the end. Talk about traumatizing. Part of me was furious the author would leave everything hanging like that, without even an indication of whether anyone survived. But I have to admit I rushed out and bought the sequel as quickly as possible, so maybe the author's devious scheme worked. Turned out there were no survivors, by the way.
That is horrible.

I'm trying to think of my own experiences...I think I've repressed them all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I finished the classic novel "the stranger" I was very upset. Especially the last chapter was masterfully done.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I cried like a baby the first time I read the end of C.S. Lewis' The Last Battle. Okay, I was still a kid at the time, but still. I loved those books, and Lewis' writing has always resonated with me.

I've loved a lot of books since then, but I don't think any of them has affected me quite as strongly.

G

·
The end of the Black Jewels books by Anne Bishop.  :(

The end of Melanie Rawn's DRAGON series (Dragon Prince, then Star Scroll-- 6 books total) left me sobbing.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
The Dark Tower series did that for me...after I spent the last book of that series mourning so many of the characters.  I guess I did feel it a bit with the Harry Potter books. 

·
Registered
993 Posts
There are two types of trauma here. One, the mere misery of a good book or series ending. That used to depress me so much that I established the habit of NEVER finishing a book right before I go to bed. You see, I would stay up until midnight to finish and book...and then stare at the ceiling all night, unable to get over the fact the book had ended. *Shudder.*

I learned to always leave myself one last chapter until the morning. Then I would finish the book with the whole day before me to... find a new book!

Of course, with kindle, this isn't as much of a problem, since if I finish a book at 2:03 am, I can buy and start reading a new book at 2:04 am. Yay!  But the habit remains and I still will never finish a book right before bedtime.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nation by Terry Pratchett is one of my favourite books for the bitter sweet ending. It is happy and it isn't and it was like... oh.... WHY TERRY! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!!! lol, but its probably why its my favourite book.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I read "Eyes of the Overworld" by Jack Vance in the early 90's, and to this day, I can remember the feeling of sadness that it ended.  I loved that book.  Then I found out there was a sequel, 'Cugel's saga', and devoured it, and felt even sadder . . . Only rereads cure the ache.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would say finishing a book like 'the perks of being a wallflower' where you really get to know the characters, is the hardest. Part of me wants a sequel just because the book was so good, and another part of me wants to remember how great the book and to leave it alone. When you love a book, it really does become like a friend that you have to carry around.

btw I saw your link on my twitter Joseph and your book looks great, will check it out! :)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
By posting here I'll get notifications whenever there's a new post. :)

As for me, no, but I love hearing about books that have affected people so deeply.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I can think of two books that left me deeply affected when I finished them... Farley Mowat's The Dog Who Wouldn't Be and Peter Gethers' The Cat Who'll Live Forever. Non-fiction with sad endings affect me much more then fiction with the same.

Mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
Joseph_Evans said:
Have you ever felt traumatised after reading a book, just because it ended?
Maybe not traumatized, but after reading the Cheese Monkeys by Chip Kidd, I'm still left with the feeling of awe and confusion from the ending. Thumbs up if you've read it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The Lord of the Rings was like that for me (seemingly a hundred years ago, when I was fifteen).

You know, Frodo and Gollum did their thing at Mt. Doom, and I sort of figured that was it.

Then I was happy to see that the hobbits were going back to the Shire, where they had to clean up Saruman's mess. And I sort of figured that was it.

But then there was the Grey Havens. And then there was Sam crossing to the west, too.

I knew that was it, then, because I'd run out of pages. But it still felt like more stories were happening over there, and I wanted to know what they were.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I definitely agree that it's hard when you get to the end of a series. To get to the end of a series, I'm invested both the story and the characters and it's hard to accept that you have to let them go. I didn't want to read the last Harry Potter book for just that reason - I was unwilling to accept that it was the end.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts