Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was feeling idle, so I Googled the names of several of my characters in an older book of mine. A character named Morgan Vale is a hacker who knows everything her employer's database knows. The real Morgan Vale owns a research firm. A character named Harry Bones is a freelance photographer. The real Harry Bones is a graphic artist. Kind of cool.

Makes me wonder if these people would want to know about the fictional characters, or if it would be too creepy, like in that movie "Stranger Than Fiction."

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've run across characters who had the same name as friends of mine. There was one romance novel I definitely couldn't finish reading.

I often wonder about books that have main characters named after fairly famous people (and are in no way supposed to represent those people). There's a romance novel with a main character named William Atherton, and every time I hear that name I hear Bill Murray saying, "It's true, that man has no d*ck." (Ghostbusters) Or the Kathleen Turner mysteries. Did the author know? Did they not? I wonder.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my newest book I Googled every name before I used it, so the main characters have pretty unique names. But in the older one I mentioned, I came up with names that "meant" something. Google didn't exist when I wrote that one.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I usually do before hand to make sure I don't unknowingly name my characters after a real person that I don't want to name them after.

Apparently I forgot to do so for some characters as I recently discovered that I gave the main character (Mary Cartwright) in my newest novel the same name as a famous British mathematician.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm one of those who google a character's name before writing so I can make sure the name is rare and unique. It's funny when you come up with some crazy name and it turns out someone already has it.  :D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Twisting the topic slightly - I know from Statcounter that some readers Google Ric Kealey, the name of my rock star hero in Remix. I'm always pleased and touched when they do that, like they hope he may be real. Does everyone get that with their characters?

I'm sure when I was young I'd have Googled Veronica West, the ballerina heroine I used to read about in Lorna Hill's novels, as she seemed like a real person to me.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Nooooo! Can't resist doing it and it's *so* disappointing to see real people who look nothing like how I imagine my characters to look....

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I don't for all my characters but have for some. When my sister read my first romance (unpublished at the time), she pointed out that a minor character had the same name as some famous football guy. I'd really rather not have that kind of thing, so I try to be careful.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
Richard Blakemore, the pulp writer turned masked vigilante from the Silencer series, shares a name with a marine biologist. I only found out when someone googled Richard Blakemore and landed at my site and I wondered why anyone would google my character. So I googled the name myself and found the marine biologist.

·
Registered
510 Posts
In the case of my Marigot Magic protagonist Samson Dixwell, I have. And good thing the surname's a tough find across GBooks, too!

By the way, I don't think there are any real families or people in Dominica bearing such a surname. (There's a library in Hamden, CT located on a street with this name, and so I thought I'd name the raccoon family after it.)

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Lexi Revellian said:
Twisting the topic slightly - I know from Statcounter that some readers Google Ric Kealey, the name of my rock star hero in Remix. I'm always pleased and touched when they do that, like they hope he may be real. Does everyone get that with their characters?

I'm sure when I was young I'd have Googled Veronica West, the ballerina heroine I used to read about in Lorna Hill's novels, as she seemed like a real person to me.
The next logical step is to make a Facebook profile for your character, but that is against Facebook's TOS. A page, maybe? :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Eh I don't worry about it.

In one class there are two boys with the same first and last name.  :eek:

So names are pretty common in reality so I don't stress if anyone has my characters name

·
Registered
384 Posts
lol... This was fun.  :)

When I googled Meekal Chilkwell, Shayla Brinawell and Claire Brinawell, I get references listing those characters in their books.

but...

Ruby Gladstone gets an obituary and census from ancestery.com. lol Poor Ruby the character... she hasn't been around the 'net like my other characters.

Thanks for the fun.

~ Aithne

1 - 19 of 19 Posts