Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And, if so, how did it turn out?

The summer I turned 15 I was on vacation with my family. I met a guy at a boardwalk game booth. We had a short, chaste romance (our vacation was for only a week), going swimming, walking the boardwalk, eating snowcones. We wrote to each other and in his second letter he said he was going to be in my town and could he see me! So he came and we went for walks and to a movie. Didn't hear from him for a couple months after that, then got a letter from him at college (he was a freshman). A friend said maybe he'd invite me up to see him, and I was not ready for that! So I never wrote back.  I sort of wonder what would have happened if I had. Probably the "romance" would have just faded away, anyway.   
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
Back when I was around 13 or so, I went camping with my family at a lake. There was another family staying at a cabin nearby and I couldn't help but notice a boy around my age. He was very cute, so I started uh, spying on him. When he went down to the lake with his little brother, I would hide in the bushes nearby and watch them. Once, they left a bunch of toy soldiers lying near the water, so I snuck over after they left and stole one of them... Nope, I never even said hello to him. I was a terribly shy/creepy little kid. That was about the closest I got to a summer romance. :D

Well, one time during another summer (when I was about 15), I was babysitting a couple little kids and they were hosting an exchange student from China. The boy and I cooked dinner together, took care of the kids, and then he gave me a gift handkerchief. It was all very romantic to my teenage mind, but then the parents came home, I left, and never saw him again. Such a shame!

Your story was much better. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Every summer from 13-18--each one ended with some new knowledge about what makes guys tick and a feeling of "thank God school is about to start!" 18--married that guy. 17 years. . . then came to my senses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,233 Posts
No summer romances for me. I met my guy at seventeen, dated him a few years, and married him at twenty. Eight years and two kids later, we're still here. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jessica Billings said:
Back when I was around 13 or so, I went camping with my family at a lake. There was another family staying at a cabin nearby and I couldn't help but notice a boy around my age. He was very cute, so I started uh, spying on him. When he went down to the lake with his little brother, I would hide in the bushes nearby and watch them. Once, they left a bunch of toy soldiers lying near the water, so I snuck over after they left and stole one of them... Nope, I never even said hello to him. I was a terribly shy/creepy little kid. That was about the closest I got to a summer romance. :D

Well, one time during another summer (when I was about 15), I was babysitting a couple little kids and they were hosting an exchange student from China. The boy and I cooked dinner together, took care of the kids, and then he gave me a gift handkerchief. It was all very romantic to my teenage mind, but then the parents came home, I left, and never saw him again. Such a shame!

Your story was much better. ;)
Sounds very sweet to me! :) Do you still have the toy soldier and the handkerchief?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dara England said:
No summer romances for me. I met my guy at seventeen, dated him a few years, and married him at twenty. Eight years and two kids later, we're still here. :)
Congratulations!

ilyria_moon said:
I don't think I've ever had a romance! :eek:
Time to get started... 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
I turned sixteen that summer. He worked across the street from my community and we bad bio tougher in sophomore years. It ended after homecoming. Our schedules conflicted and he started hanging out with other people
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,706 Posts
Between sixth and seventh grade they had a summer recreation program at the high school, so my friends and I went.  We did things like art, saw movies, and went on swimming field trips.  There was a girl named Marie there and we became friends.  She was much more mature than me (both physically and emotionally) and she decided I was her boyfriend.  It was all innocent - I was too naive to do anything but hold her hand.

She lived in the next town, so when recreation was over I knew I wouldn't be seeing her.  I remember being depressed on the school bus ride home, and some girls were teasing me, singing some song that had the name Marie in it.

We went to different junior highs, and finally met up again in high school.  But it was more like an awkward hello when we finally met again, and nothing more happened between us.

After high school, I played hockey with her cousin, so I kind of kept in touch that way, but now we're just friends on facebook who rarely talk.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,444 Posts
1981.  Gradutated college.  Joined the Navy.  Met another young officer at training.  I guess you could call it a summer romance: we were married the next summer.  And we still are. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
Ann Herrick said:
Sounds very sweet to me! :) Do you still have the toy soldier and the handkerchief?
I eventually threw away the toy soldier because I got older and thought, "What the HECK were you thinking?!" but I still have the handkerchief!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,274 Posts
I kissed a boy for the first time over summer break (my first more-than-a-quick-smooch kiss.)  He told me he had just broken up with his girlfriend.  Well, lo and behold, he had not actually broken up with his girlfriend and when school resumed, half the eighth grade class hated me for quite a while for being a cheater.  Didn't matter that he lied to me, I was the bad guy.  I'm surprised I ever kissed anyone again!

Sorry, I guess that's actually the reverse of a summer romance. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
1981. Gradutated college. Joined the Navy. Met another young officer at training. I guess you could call it a summer romance: we were married the next summer. And we still are. :)
Awww.. that is so romantic.

Never had a summer romance. :( Though I did have plenty of crushes, summer and otherwise! ;D

Now that I think on it, not much has changed... lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,706 Posts
Jessica Billings said:
He was very cute, so I started uh, spying on him. When he went down to the lake with his little brother, I would hide in the bushes nearby and watch them. Once, they left a bunch of toy soldiers lying near the water, so I snuck over after they left and stole one of them... Nope, I never even said hello to him. I was a terribly shy/creepy little kid. That was about the closest I got to a summer romance. :D
That's sweet, in a nice stalker kind of way. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,932 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
1981. Gradutated college. Joined the Navy. Met another young officer at training. I guess you could call it a summer romance: we were married the next summer. And we still are. :)
Then you have a Major Anniversary coming up! :)

My most memorable summer romance: I was 26, spending a summer semester in Spain trying to improve language skills, and so was he -- but our native languages weren't the same. As a result there were a few minor misunderstandings, but since the only language in common was the one we were both studying, the romance benefited our studies enormously! We spent entire afternoons and late evenings discussing art and literature and arguing politics, talking nonstop for hours. After the semester ended, we went back to our respective countries of residence and, over the next two years, wrote hundreds of letters and met four or five times for a week each time (we lived about 700 miles apart). Ultimately, it ended because he wanted to be married and have kids, and I didn't, and I wanted to move back to the U.S, and he didn't. We weren't in touch for about ten years, but now we exchange emails two or three times a year, though they're just-friends emails now.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top