Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm writing a story I think about it all the time. When I wake up, at work, even before I go to bed. So much so that I can't sleep. Sometimes I get up and write down whatever ideas I have running through my head, which helps me relax. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
No, the story doesn't keep me awake. I have woken up in the middle of the night and started writing, hoping it would help me relax enough to get back to sleep.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I'm on the edge like that it's hard to get through the day. It's like I'm betraying my soul.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I keep a notebook and a tiny light next to the bed so when I have monkey mind I can write it down without waking the spouse.

But sometimes the inspiration becomes so demanding I have to get out of bed, go downstairs to the machine, and type at length.

In the cold light of day, the middle of the night thoughts sometimes seem brilliant--but at other times they seem unusable.  I can't find a pattern. 

The only constant is that I'm sleepy and short on sleep.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In the best of times, I put myself to sleep thinking about my books then have lucid wonderful dreams in the world of my novels. In the worst of times I lose days of sleep (not hours, that would be too easy) worrying about how to get more people to read my books and maybe make enough money this year to feed my cats, twice.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
No, but when I'm writing, I have story ideas that won't stop appearing after I go to bed, so I just scribble the ideas down on a notepad and write them later.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
They don't keep me awake, but I hear the characters in my dreams sometimes. I hear them sometimes when I'm awake, too. It's kind of disturbing.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I actually think about my stories as I am trying to fall asleep, it helps me sleep. However, sometimes I think of something I deem "Brilliant" and I will absoloutley die if I do not write it down then and there! But my books are always on my mind, it is hard to live in the real world when one keeps slipping into their own imaginary world. This is why writing can be so tiring, I think. ::)

·
Registered
556 Posts
jnfr said:
They don't keep me awake, but I hear the characters in my dreams sometimes. I hear them sometimes when I'm awake, too. It's kind of disturbing.
Me too... I always that there was something a little creepy about that...but my friends are jealous of it, they think it is brilliant! We should consider ourselves lucky! Life is so much more exciting when you can step out of it at any moment, and hear your characters speak.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Up late and thinking about my story? Long and often. The more excited I am about the story the more I roll around.

As others have said - some of my best stuff comes in the dark.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
elake28 said:
When I'm writing a story I think about it all the time. When I wake up, at work, even before I go to bed. So much so that I can't sleep. Sometimes I get up and write down whatever ideas I have running through my head, which helps me relax. Does anyone else have this problem?
I was just about asleep the other night and had to wake up, fish around under the bed for a scrap of paper I knew my dd had left there when she had been drawing next to me earlier that night, so I could jot down some story ideas that came to me as I was drifting off.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MaryMcDonald said:
I was just about asleep the other night and had to wake up, fish around under the bed for a scrap of paper I knew my dd had left there when she had been drawing next to me earlier that night, so I could jot down some story ideas that came to me as I was drifting off.
I do it all the time. Because if I don't I'll forget. Or I won't remember it the same way.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Creating my stories is how I get to sleep.  I try to work out the next scene or a description or plot twist.  Of course, if I don't jot down a couple words I'll forget most of what I wanted to retain.  I might even get up and make a couple notes on the computer.  Then, when I pick up the story in the morning I go back a couple of pages and read, just to get back in the swing of things.  When I hit my notes from the previous note, I am ready to roll............usually.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Sometimes, I'm so excited about a writing project that I can't get to sleep until I get up and write it all down.  If it's a rhyme for one of my children's books, then I can just write it down while I'm in bed . . . that usually works.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
All the time. Part of the life I guess. I take sleeping pills but OTC ones and not everyday

1 - 17 of 17 Posts