Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the first one I used to like to put about 10 books on the homepage and have my unread books on SD card and the ones I have read I sent back to Amazon to kind of keep them separate and organized. Now they are all in the Archive file. I do like the archive file, don't get me wrong but I can't figure out how to separate read from unread. This isn't an no-SD card or a no-folder complaint really. I just want to be able to mark my books "read" somehow.

Melissa

·
Registered
335 Posts
I haven't found a single thing that I would complain yet.

It will take me a bit to figure my way around, but so far all the menu structures seem pretty logical...  in fact they have inspired me to complain a bit to myself about how I had to navigate around on the K1!  :D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
It appears that when you are reading, the keyboard isn't "dead" like it was on the K1. If you press a letter, it brings up the search bar so you can start typing something in to search.

I had gotten used to holding the K1 with my fingers on the keyboard keys and sometimes I would start playing with them...just pressing them mindlessly. It does not appear you can do this with the K2.

For folks who have never had a K1 and thus the "dead" keyboard, this probably won't be much of a deal. But for some of us, there might be a little re-learning curve.

L

·
Registered
335 Posts
Leslie said:
It appears that when you are reading, the keyboard isn't "dead" like it was on the K1. If you press a letter, it brings up the search bar so you can start typing something in to search.

I had gotten used to holding the K1 with my fingers on the keyboard keys and sometimes I would start playing with them...just pressing them mindlessly. It does not appear you can do this with the K2.

For folks who have never had a K1 and thus the "dead" keyboard, this probably won't be much of a deal. But for some of us, there might be a little re-learning curve.

L
I actually like that feature, it automatically calls up the search bar! Pretty cool and intuitive!

But I can see how you wouldn't like it if you were used to holding it that way...

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
There's no Alt-T shortcut for the time. I used that a lot. You have to go into a menu to see what time it is..No biggie in the grand scheme of things though.. I feel like I'm reaching :)

I'm not sure about the keyboard. It's not that I don't like it. It's just that I'm not sure if I DO like it.

And I still want folders...or tags. Either one of those would make it perfect. Makes no difference to me. We're moving in the right direction for organization, we're just not there yet. (I do like that I can separate out my personal documents now)

·
Registered
335 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
There's no Alt-T shortcut for the time. I used that a lot. You have to go into a menu to see what time it is..No biggie in the grand scheme of things though.. I feel like I'm reaching :)

I'm not sure about the keyboard. It's not that I don't like it. It's just that I'm not sure if I DO like it.

And I still want folders...or tags. Either one of those would make it perfect. Makes no difference to me. We're moving in the right direction for organization, we're just not there yet. (I do like that I can separate out my personal documents now)
In reality that's easier, you don't have to use both hands. Just hit menu with your thumb, check the time, then hit menu again to go back to what you were doing...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with the folders/tags complaint, it would be especially nice if my sample chapters were filed separately from full length books.  But I didn't have a K1 and I know this is not a new issue.  Other than that, loooove it!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
nelamvr6 said:
In reality that's easier, you don't have to use both hands. Just hit menu with your thumb, check the time, then hit menu again to go back to what you were doing...
I brought the menu up, looking for the time....looking, looking...and Oh! There it is, top of the screen. 6:10 PM. I miss "ten minutes after six." But then, I just went to my K1 and it says 6:10 PM. Is this something that changed with the software upgrade? Anyone know?

It does not appear that any of the Alt-key combinations work on the new Kindle. I can't get Alt-J to justify to work.

L

·
Registered
23 Posts
I left a problem over on the technical topic.  Trouble with navigating in the experimental setting screen.  I would love it if you guys would check it out and let me know how your K2 is doing.

Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
I finally found a con:

The keyboard doesn't have an "@" key like the K1's did.

So now to type "@author" to search the Kindle store you have to invoke the "SYM" key...

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Instead of downloading samples, I'm going to start using the save-for later feature. Then I'll send the sample when I'm ready to read it.

Leslie, Alt-B still works for a bookmark.

nelamvr6 said:
I told you I was reaching.. I like that it showed up on the bottom of the screen..Now a menu pops up and covers the text.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So far, only thing I've found is I miss the Alt. Aa combo to put kindle to sleep....maybe only because the strap on the Cole Haan Cover that I got partly covers the power switch on the top.

I also inadvertently deleted the kindle 2 users guide from the kindle.  The only way to get it back on now according to Cust. Svc. is to download it to my computer and use the USB to put it back on the kindle... I'll just wait for Leslie's book to come out.. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
One thing I have noticed, and maybe those who also still have a K1 can comment: if you compare text on the K1 and K2 page side by side, don't you think the letters on the K2 are a tiny bit less dark then on the old K1 ? This seems to me more pronounced when using the smaller three font sizes...

Dirk

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
dflachbart said:
One thing I have noticed, and maybe those who also still have a K1 can comment: if you compare text on the K1 and K2 page side by side, don't you think the letters on the K2 are a tiny bit less dark then on the old K1 ? This seems to me more pronounced when using the smaller three font sizes...

Dirk
Looking at the home page, its a different font. On the K1 it's a sans serif font (like Arial) and appears to be in bold. On the K2, it's a serif font -- a graphic designer would recognize it but I don't know the name off the top of my head. It's not bold which makes the difference between the K1 and K2 seem more pronounced. In a book, the font is the same between the too but it does look a bit darker on the K1.

L

·
Registered
26 Posts
Leslie said:
Looking at the home page, its a different font. On the K1 it's a sans serif font (like Arial) and appears to be in bold. On the K2, it's a serif font -- a graphic designer would recognize it but I don't know the name off the top of my head. It's not bold which makes the difference between the K1 and K2 seem more pronounced. In a book, the font is the same between the too but it does look a bit darker on the K1.

L
Thanks to everyone for confirming, I just wanted to make sure that my there isn't anything wrong with my new love... :D Not a big deal, and I would have not noticed if I didn't have the K1 to compare.

Dirk

1 - 20 of 82 Posts