Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you had any problems with your Kindle that you considered serious or that required utilization of the warranty?  If so, what were they and how was it handled?

What are the most common problems cited and are they rare? 

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My brother droppen mine on the tile floor leading it to also slid across the floor, the first day i recieved my kindle(a month ago) I resently noticed a crack on the bottom corner of my kindle, which is small considering how it fell and what it fell on. Other than that i haven't had any problems, but I have heard some people's kindles having letter buttons that didn't work and Amazon quickly replaced the kindle.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
No I didn't get a chance to attempt to kill my brother for dropping my kindle....I have yet to catch him in the house alone, he is being very careful. Or I can just wait for him to buy his Xbox360 or PS3 and drop things would be even.

VA

PS: I'm thinking about dropping it down the stairs would work well to communicate my message.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Had mine a litte over a month.  No problems.  Haven't even needed to reset it.  Knock-on-wood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I received mine as a gift last Christmas and can't live without it.  The only problem I've had (and I use it for hours every day!) was when it was knocked off a table onto a tile floor.  It was a goner.  Amazon replaced it immediately and for free.  They don't do that any longer.  Last I heard, though, they were splitting the cost with the bereaved owner.  But that was mid-February, so I've been on the current one since then, with no problems at all.  Had it been better secured in the cover, I would still be on the first one, I'm sure. 

I highly recommend the extra little dot of velcro or purchasing a better cover.  (My Oberon one is due Thursday!  I went for their original velcro design.)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had mine since last April.  I've had to reset it twice, but both times it came back just fine (the second time it did lose my place in the book I was reading).  I dropped it once on a hardwood floor and it fell out of the cover, no damage, but now my husband wants me to get an Oberon cover to better protect it.  If he insists!  ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
So is it safe to say that a kindle is safer on a hard wood floor rather than a tile floor?
I don't think I would go that far. Although I would think that wood is a slightly softer landing.

Best idea is to try to avoid both!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My Kindle came home late, way after curfew. So I took a hammer and beat it up. That sucker has never been late since  ;). Seriously mine has worked perfectly.

Steve

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Atunah said:
You know, first time in my life I feel lucky to live in crappy apartments with matted carpets.
Hahahaha!

I dropped both of my children on their heads. I learned from that. Child no. 3 (my Kindle) is held in protective arms and guarded carefully at all times. So far, no problems.

L

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine got knocked off a table at work.  I just missed grabbing
it and it landed right on a corner (cement floor).  It was in a
strangedog cover and no problem at all.  11 months, and I've
never even had to reset it.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Every report I have read of anyone that did have a problem that they did not cause, has gotten great customer service from Amazon. I
understand, if it can not be fixed by them over the phone, they send out a replacement right away and you do not have to send yours back till you get the new one!

I think this is a pretty risk free purchase, though if you do break it, by dropping it or some other fault of yours you will have to pay $180 for a replacement. Still pretty generous imo, when it is not their fault.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've had mine for about 5 weeks now and have no problems. I have not had to reset it at all, though I had a couple times when playing with the browser  that things were going very slowly. Had one minor problem with downloading. Customer service was great even though he didn't really fix the problem- it was a local sprint problem. All in all I am very happy with my Kindle and haven't read a DTB since I got him.

Lynn

G

·
No problems here, despite what Jim told you. It did fall off of a sofa table onto the floor yesterday, but it was in the OEM cover with the elastic on. No damage, but a slight bounce.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sounds like outstanding customer service!  I especially like that they are willing to immediately send you a replacement Kindle without waiting for you to send your warrantied Kindle back first.  That makes sense, as many Kindlers would be in the midst of reading purchased books, but still a very generous policy.  I'm very impressed overall by what I hear.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts