1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Interesting article,however, like you I won't be giving up my Kindles for a netbook no matter what screen it has:)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It says you can have 'back light on - color mode' or 'back light off - eInk mode'. I thought they couldn't make electronic paper with a back light. Does this mean the technology has advanced and they can now backlight the epaper? Or does this mean that eInk mode isn't really eInk, but they simulate eInk by showing the screen in grayscale and turning off the light?

I'm a little confused.

Color e-ink on a netbook would be cool, I don't always like the backlighting. But it wouldn't replace my Kindle. I carry my netbook with me sometime, but can't imagine lugging the extra couple pounds with all the time or taking the time to boot up and certainly wouldn't be able to read it one handed while standing on the crowded bus.

·
Super Moderator
67,359 Posts
kim. . .that didn't make sense to me either.  Seems like they're trying to have the best of both worlds, screen-wise.  I'm not seeing how it would work. . . . . or else they are talking color e-ink with some sort of side light in which case we're talking $$$$$.

Not holding my breath. . . . .:)

·
Registered
257 Posts
This is interesting. Check out Pixel Qi's website: http://www.pixelqi.com/

Looks like they *are* currently developing an "e-paper screen with color and video". Apparently they use the same materials that LCD's use, which leaves me in two minds (though both minds are open at this point :p ) I have a feeling such a screen would require more power than the regular e-ink displays the Kindle uses, but less power than an LCD (the latter is stated on the site).

I'm quite excited about this. Not for the prospects of a netbook with the new screen, but for what's in store for the next Kindle!

And we can all be certain, Pixel Qi isn't the only company developing this technology. I've no doubt in my mind we'll eventually get a color e-ink display Kindle. It's just a matter of when.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yep, totally different technology, but it will be interesting to see how it performs in practice. Apparently they'll be showing prototypes at a show today and tomorrow, so I'm sure it will show up in the press.

LCD displays can be pretty low power and sharp, though will certainly have a different character than the E-Ink display. OTOH, they're likely to be much less finicky than the E-Ink, and the fast update and color capabilities would likely make it a crowd-pleaser.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts