Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon had to replace my K2 due to screen failure. When my replacement came, I was able to reload my inventory from Amazon, but all of the sample books that I had downloaded were gone. When I browse books, I request samples much like many people would use a wish list. Is there any tracking or any way to recover those books? I want to read them all eventually, but now I dont remember what all the titles were!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Have you tried checking out your media libray? It's at amazon.com/yml and should have a link to all your media. Also, not to sound rude at all, but do you know that you can also make Wish Lists in Amazon? I have a separate one for just Kindle books.

EDIT- I see now that the Amazon media library doesn't include samples. You can still try using Wish Lists in the future though.

·
Super Moderator
67,555 Posts
doc. . . .suicide is correct, Amazon doesn't remember that you downloaded samples  I have discovered at times that I'd gotten samples more than once!  I think because they are non-DRM and only partial, they just don't bother.  Using the universal wish list -- you can download it and put on your browser bar -- is a good alternative.  I haven't found that you can put Kindle books on your wish list in the usual way at the Amazon site.

I have a First Gen Kindle and since I have an SD card installed, I move my samples there so if something should happen to the Kindle I might still have the samples.  At the least I'd be able to read the titles via my computer.  An alternative for you would be to periodically view your kindle files through your computer.  I think you can even copy the sample files as a back up since there's no DRM.  Seems like you could do this even if the screen had failed as long as the underlying operating system was good.  Then you should be able to move them back to a new Kindle, but I wouldn't swear to that.  But at least you have titles.

·
Super Moderator
67,555 Posts
Yes, in fact there's a thread stuck at the top of Tips & Tricks called 'sharing samples' or something of that sort. . .for folks NOT in WN area. . .you can partner up with someone who is, have that person download the sample, and then they can transfer it to their computer and e-mail it to you so you can put it on your Kindle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The samples are always gone when you get a new kindle. They are not stored like the purchases are. You can look on your kindle account and see what samples you have downloaded and re-download from there. When you move the 5 point button to the left to remove from device, the samples always say delete. Then a warning comes up to ask if you really want to delete this from the kindle. I usually delete samples when I purchase the full book or if I didn't like the sample. That way, it works as my kindle wish list as well.  :)

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
missajeep said:
You can look on your kindle account and see what samples you have downloaded and re-download from there.
Actually, even your Kindle account online won't show your Kindle samples, it only shows books you've bought. You may be able to see up to 10 of your last samples on the "Delivery Status" panel over on the right hand side, but if you have books and other things mixed in, it won't even show that many.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, not lame... I am the king of lame and you aren't one of me many subjects!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.