Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be interested to know how many of you have maxxed out your storage and are into using additional memory with an SD card.  How long did it take you to get to the point of maxxing out? 

Also, if you recall, about how many free books and/or chapter samples did your download before you received your Kindle? 

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have 108 on mine.  I was sort of startled to see that I was almost halfway through the K's internal memory?

I "only" have 7 pages of content  ::)

Let's see.  I received my K in November so it does not take long if you like to purchase books as you go.  Others will read a book before they buy another one.  If you use that strategy (I didn't), it will take a *lot* longer to fill the memory.

HTH,

Marci

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I regularly delete the Amazon books and move the other books to the SD card, just so I won't max out the Kindle memory. I have 1.9 GB of space on the SD card and about 98 KB on the Kindle.

L

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leslie said:
I regularly delete the Amazon books and move the other books to the SD card, just so I won't max out the Kindle memory. I have 1.9 GB of space on the SD card and about 98 KB on the Kindle.

L
Thanks, Leslie. That brings up a good point. Does moving the books you've read over to the SD card make the Kindle work faster/smoother because it's not bogged down with excessive memory?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
libro said:
Thanks, Leslie. That brings up a good point. Does moving the books you've read over to the SD card make the Kindle work faster/smoother because it's not bogged down with excessive memory?
I can't really say because I've never gotten to the point of being "bogged down." I bought the SD card early on, mostly because there was a good sale at Staples and I said, why not? I got into the habit of moving read books over there and deleting the Amazon books and that's the way I have been doing it for months now.

L

·
Registered
326 Posts
libro said:
I keep everything on my SD Card because if anything goes wrong with the kindle i can pull the card and not lose anything. I'm down to 6.9GB now on the card with over 800 books and its not bogged down at all. Its only reading one file at a time so you dont lose any speed or anything even with alot on it cause all the books are stored on the card and not kept in memory.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have about 150 kindle books at this point. The 8 or so that I am either currently reading or expect to start soon are in kindle memory and there is still 159 MB available. The rest are on my 4 GB SD card and it still has 3.6 GB free. It's going to be a long time before I need to buy a new SD card.

I love this. 150 dead tree books take up almost three large bookcases in my home!!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lizzy said:
I keep everything on my SD Card because if anything goes wrong with the kindle i can pull the card and not lose anything. I'm down to 6.9GB now on the card with over 800 books and its not bogged down at all. Its only reading one file at a time so you dont lose any speed or anything even with alot on it cause all the books are stored on the card and not kept in memory.
When you keep everything on your SD card, do you mean unread books as well?

Do the books on your SD card show up on your Kindle display screen? I assume they're stored safely at Amazon.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I maxed my Kindle memory out a long time ago, and have a lot of mine on my SD card, I hope with an 8 GB card I'll never max that out.  After I read a book from Amazon I always delete it and let Amazon store it for me.  The good thing is that when you download something the Kindle will put the new books on the SD card if your Kindle memory is full. :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
libro said:

Do the books on your SD card show up on your Kindle display screen? I assume they're stored safely at Amazon.
Yes, all of your books appear on your contents page whether they are in kindle memory or SD memory. On the 'content manager' page (which is different from the contents page) the books stored at Amazon also appear. On that page you have the option of viewing everything, only viewing kindle memory, or only viewing SD memory.

·
Registered
326 Posts
libro said:

The books on the SD card show up as if they were stored on the kindle. In fact you cant separate the books on the SD card or Kindle memory on the home screen. They show up as if they were all in one place.

If you were thinking of putting the unread books on the sd card it wouldnt matter cause they will still be there on your home screen but thats not a problem cause below each title is a line of dots that show you how long the book is. When youve read the book the dots are bolded so you can always see which books you have read and which book you havent right there on the home screen.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lizzy said:
The books on the SD card show up as if they were stored on the kindle. In fact you cant separate the books on the SD card or Kindle memory on the home screen. They show up as if they were all in one place.

If you were thinking of putting the unread books on the sd card it wouldnt matter cause they will still be there on your home screen but thats not a problem cause below each title is a line of dots that show you how long the book is. When youve read the book the dots are bolded so you can always see which books you have read and which book you havent right there on the home screen.
How nice!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Lizzy said:
I keep everything on my SD Card because if anything goes wrong with the kindle i can pull the card and not lose anything.
If you have to get another Kindle, and the files are DRM'ed, I don't think you will be able to read them on the new Kindle.

What I do is put larger files, files from places other than Amazon, and personal documents on the SD card. I like to have the personal docs there, just in case I have to return the Kindle, or it breaks, no one else can possibly read my documents, since I will remove the SD card.

·
Registered
326 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
If you have to get another Kindle, and the files are DRM'ed, I don't think you will be able to read them on the new Kindle.

What I do is put larger files, files from places other than Amazon, and personal documents on the SD card. I like to have the personal docs there, just in case I have to return the Kindle, or it breaks, no one else can possibly read my documents, since I will remove the SD card.
I think as long as the kindle is registered to the same account it would be okay cause lots of people have more than one person on their accounts and they can share books but i could be wrong. Im not so worried about the amazon books cause i can always download them again if i have to but i got tons of free books and i sure dont want to lose them. :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Lizzy said:
I keep everything on my SD Card
Same here - I took everything out of my Kindle documents folder and moved them to the SD documents folder. Have a couple hundred books and a separate folder for read books (so they don't clutter up my home pages). Haven't noticed any slow down.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I have very little in my Kindle memory; maybe 10 books.  As soon as I finish a book, I send it back to Amazon for storage.  The only things I keep on my 4G SD card are books I got from sites other than Amazon.  That way, I won't accidentally delete them.  I think it will take a lifetime to fill up the SD card. 

1 - 18 of 18 Posts