Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
I publish on Kobo via Smashwords. Of all the SW outlets it is my highest seller. I wasn't aware that you could publish with them directly...will have to look into that.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I publish on Kobo via Smashwords.
Smashwords is difficult to work with. If it were just a matter of submitting an epub book to Kobo that would be easy. The epub is easy to easy to create with Calibre. I think that would be a lot better than trying to go through Smashwords.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I tried to publish directly on Kobo when I first started but they were only interested in 'publishers' not indies. So I went with Smashwords. It was 100 times easier.

Although Kobo is Canadian, they don't make it easy for any of us, and they are slow slow slow to update things, change prices or load new books.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Rejean said:
I tried to publish directly on Kobo when I first started but they were only interested in 'publishers' not indies. So I went with Smashwords. It was 100 times easier.

Although Kobo is Canadian, they don't make it easy for any of us, and they are slow slow slow to update things, change prices or load new books.
You can say that again. Kobo still haven't added my book through Smashwords and it was approved for premium status many, many weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that I am not going to waste time with Kobo since it doesn't sound too great, but thanks everyone for your help. 

It seems that Amazon is still the best way to publish books in e-book format.  I wonder how long it will be before Amazon starts offering epub books for sale too?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Kobo are having difficulty coping with adding so many titles to their catalogue. They have asked smashwords to limit how many they send every week so there is a backlog. I think so far I have 3 books on there out of 14 on smashwords. Some people have great sales on Kobo.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
I too publish to Kobo via SmashWords. To be honest, I don't sell enough copies at any of the outlets besides Amazon and B&N to make it worth my time to upload to all of them individually. In four months I think I've sold about three copies via SW channels. Not something I'm eager to pour more time and effort into.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The only trouble I've had with uploading a doc to SW is when I had the cover inside the doc too big. I had to make it smaller, then upload again, and it was approved for the premium catalogue. I always nuke my MSS before uploading.

If I'm reading the sales report chart correctly, I made $5.31 USD and 2.81 CAD through Kobo from Feb 28 to Jul 2. Every little bit counts and it all adds up.

I sell better through Apple. One title sold 90+ copies in Jan, around 200 in Feb, a little over 100 in each of Mar, Apr, and May, then about 75 in Jun. That title sells a few at the other places, incl. Amazon, and my other titles sell a few here and there. So you never know what will catch on at which retailer.

Lanette

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also publish with Kobo via Smashwords. My sales record shows zero, but Sales for outlets other than Smashwords is very slow to update. I've got 5 ebooks with Smashwords and only had problems getting one into the Premium catalog. That's my nonfiction called Written Wisdom because it's a book of essays rather than chapters. So I linked each essay to the TofC and that kind of blew their mind I guess. They rejected the epub version that came out of the meat grinder because they said the linked TofC had errors. It did not, but I couldn't convince them of that. Finally, I emailed Mark Coker, and he went in and looked at it and declared it fine.

If you nuke the Word ms. and then format with first line indents rather than tabs, single space, left body text, you should be fine. Those are the big issues. If you're doing linked TofC, just check for hidden bookmarks that Word throws in.

Though Smashwords takes time to review and accept for Premium, and then to ship, it's worth it. All my books are approved. Next week the newest should distribute. I've got sales shown for only a couple books for just June, and that's already 400 sales for the Apple bookstore. So I'd say the effort to figure out Smashwords is worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts