Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Listening to music while reading, doesn't allow me to get as immersed as I would otherwise. I don't plan on putting any music on my Kindle....I have an iPod for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I did just to test the feature and see how it worked.  IMO the sound quality is not very good for music.  In addition the player only plays in random order.  It may be ok for very casual listening but not for serious listening. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an ipod as well. As a matter of fact I don't often go anywhere without Edgar and Mavis (my ipod). However, I was playing around the other day and threw a few CD's on Edgar. If you use headphones, it's not bad.

Anyway, I have some music I bought from http://www.lifescapesmusic.com/Default.aspx?sid=edf4533a-db46-4d25-9bc5-10f1b2db7333 (you can also buy the some of the CDs at Target). It's just stuff that's good to relax to.

I have:

Celtic Music for Stress Relief
Celtic Dreams
Relaxing Orient
Soothing Massage
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
BTW, my comment above on the poor sound quality was given after using high quality headphones.  I've never tried to use the built in speaker.  I can only imagine how horrific that must be.  My guess is the design requirement for the sound quality was for it to be acceptable for audio books.   
 
G

·
TheJohnNewton said:
I did just to test the feature and see how it worked. IMO the sound quality is not very good for music. In addition the player only plays in random order. It may be ok for very casual listening but not for serious listening.
This is not encouraging. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
I found the music quality to be surprisingly loud and decent with headphones, but since there's no way to select the music (random order only, as Jim mentioned), why bother?

I haven't tried any audio books yet (not really interested unless there are free ones out there - are there?), but I assume you can actually select those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,465 Posts
I only put the sound of ocean waves so that when it's cold and crappy out (tonight is going down to 21); I can pretend it's gorgeous, hot and sunny and I'm sitting on the beach (Kindle in Hand) with my two best friends..."Marge & Rita"

Here is the ocean waves link; though I should warn you that it only plays for about 20 minutes and not the 78 as stated (may be download error) but because I only have the one and it recycles itself; it doesn't matter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00121U5TC/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I'm a rather uncoordinated soul.  Can't read and listen to music at the same time!  Music on my Ipod, reading material on the Kindle. Only thing that's not really reading material on my Kindle are a few knitting patterns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a pretty serious case of tinnitus and need to have some sort of noise or music going all the time. The quality of the music isn't nearly as important to me as the fact that it's there. I guess because my ears are ringing anyway, I don't notice it (what I would give for even 15 minutes of silence...)

As for the randomness of the MP3 player, that doesn't bother me either. Mavis is normally set on shuffle anyway. I only have about 30-40 songs on there and it doesn't really matter what order they play in. If I don't want that particular song, I just hit alt F and it skips ahead.

SJC, thanks for the ocean waves link.

I only added the music files as a back-up emergency if I forgot my ipod or the battery dies. I have no plans to give up my ipod and just use the Kindle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
sjc said:
I only put the sound of ocean waves so that when it's cold and crappy out (tonight is going down to 21); I can pretend it's gorgeous, hot and sunny and I'm sitting on the beach (Kindle in Hand) with my two best friends..."Marge & Rita"

Here is the ocean waves link; though I should warn you that it only plays for about 20 minutes and not the 78 as stated (may be download error) but because I only have the one and it recycles itself; it doesn't matter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00121U5TC/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img
It's the file. Other people complain about the same thing in the user comments section of the page.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
I haven't tried the music yet... haven't even unpacked the USB cable!! Guess I should, I have tons of free stuff I downloaded to the PC and I really need to move them over. Still undecided on the music... I already have my MP3 player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I have a pretty serious case of tinnitus and need to have some sort of noise or music going all the time. The quality of the music isn't nearly as important to me as the fact that it's there. I guess because my ears are ringing anyway, I don't notice it (what I would give for even 15 minutes of silence...)

As for the randomness of the MP3 player, that doesn't bother me either. Mavis is normally set on shuffle anyway. I only have about 30-40 songs on there and it doesn't really matter what order they play in. If I don't want that particular song, I just hit alt F and it skips ahead.

SJC, thanks for the ocean waves link.

I only added the music files as a back-up emergency if I forgot my ipod or the battery dies. I have no plans to give up my ipod and just use the Kindle.
Ah...something that not a lot of people talk about. I have tinnitus too!!! It could be so quiet in the room yet in my ears a rock concert is going on ;-p

I'm usually not for reading while I have music in the background, though when I was in school I did need some background noise, but I really wanted to listen to music last night before bed but I also wanted to read. I don't have any music on Jinx yet and since his headphone jack is on the bottom, I probably won't since I rest him on a pillow to read. I put my iPod on and listened away and found that it didn't slow my reading down :))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
For me, music is prolly even more necessary than reading. But I am sticking with my iPod for music, and leaving my Kindle for books. I have some 4000-plus songs on my iPod, of all types -- Latin, Brazilian, African, Classical, rock, country . . . prolly everything but polka and zydeco.

I love to plug in my earbuds, set my iPod to randomize the music, and read on my Kindle. The two make an awesome combination!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top