1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yes, I've emailed them a few times and got some nice emails back saying they were great suggestions, forwarding to the developing team, etc.

1. Folders
2. Kindle, Jr. that's more rugged with one way wireless (parents can send to from Amazon page, kids can't purchase or surf from their K, Jr.)
3. Using covers of books we've bought as screensavers.
4. Getting a gift certificate if someone else enters your name/user ID when they purchase a Kindle (refer a friend).
5. Promote the idea of community.  Happy Anniversary (of the Kindle purchase) or Happy Birthday emails from Amazon with a free download code or coupon.  I wrote the email on my birthday and pointed out that a half dozen companies sent me birthday greetings and coupons, yet Amazon who has more information on me than Coca-Cola said zip.  The CSR responded wishing me happy birthday.

Lara Amber

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've written them twice, once to complain about the dark screen and lighter text, once to suggest they change all the formatting to bold to compensate. No real responses except "we're forwarding them....". I do love the K2, and except for the contrast issue I'm quite happy with it. (The hack has helped tremendously.)

I love the ideas to skip ahead or back 10 pages (or perhaps next or previous chapters in fiction) and getting a referral or birthday gift certificate :)

I'd also suggest:
1 - user-defined screensavers and fonts (without having to hack)
2 - SD card capability (not that I really used it on the K1, but I can't get over the idea that they removed such a helpful feature)
3 - folders
4 - slightly larger screen without enlarging the unit
5 - next and previous buttons along the top edge

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would be really cool too would be support for a little portable USB keyboard and stand for the Kindle 2 ;-)

·
Registered
406 Posts
How about a little remote next/previous page accessory?  For those of us who prop the K up to read?  (Hands-free reading, in effect.)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
auntmarge said:
How about a little remote next/previous page accessory? For those of us who prop the K up to read? (Hands-free reading, in effect.)
You can't go back, but to read my Kindle hands-free, I turn on TTS, set to the fast setting, turn the volume all the way down and read. Unfortunately, not sure what's going to happen on (stupid) Random House books with no TTS, but for now it works for me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Jesslyn said:
You can't go back, but to read my Kindle hands-free, I turn on TTS, set to the fast setting, turn the volume all the way down and read. Unfortunately, not sure what's going to happen on (stupid) Random House books with no TTS, but for now it works for me.
I think I'll give that a try, although doesn't it make you a bit anxious to know you have to finish the page in an allotted time, or impatient if you make it through faster?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Oh, I love the idea of a remote! That one never occurred to me, but would be really useful at times.

I'd like not only folders, but an entire file management system. Right now, it's like trying to use an iPod without iTunes. I'm using Calibre now to do some editing, but there should be some native online program associated with the Kindle. I'd like to be able to edit titles, author names, etc. to make corrections, or to make things consistent, or just to have it "my way." I'd like an online Kindle library system with many more fields to sort on. There should be some way to print out a list of what you have on the Kindle. (There's a current thread about the printing issue in the Tips and Tricks section here, with no good solution yet.)

I'd like the Kindle to be password protected. I wouldn't mind having to type in a password to use the wireless store, and it would be more secure in case it was lost or stolen.

I'd like the Kindle to come in an iPod selection of colors! (or at least black.)

In the Kindle book store, I'd like to be able to search by date to find the most recently added items. Right now, I don't recall this being an option. Other than the few items listed in the Amazon emails, I don't know how to find the new things. (Or are the email items the entire listing of new things available?)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
auntmarge said:
I think I'll give that a try, although doesn't it make you a bit anxious to know you have to finish the page in an allotted time, or impatient if you make it through faster?
I'm a fast reader, so I had to set it on the fastest setting to accomodate my reading speed, but the default and slower speeds are also available. Note that even when on the fastest speed, I have more than enough time to finish, although at first, I sped thru the page in fear of it turning too fast for me. With experience, I now can read at a comfortable pace and when I need to re-check something that I may have not understood, the spacebar pauses TTS so that I can review.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Although I want folders and some of the other stuff as much as anyone else, the email I sent Amazon Kindle support concerned security on the Kindle. I find it hard to believe that there is no password protection on the device. And I was rather disconcerted by the thread over on the Amazon Kindle board concerning a user who had his Kindle stolen, only to have it re-registered at Amazon by the thief. The Kindle needs better security, period.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've emailed Amazon a few suggestions, and they seem like a company that would actual listen and use the suggestions that they find valuable. I think a big one on everyone's list is folders.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I noticed a comment about turning the volume down. Where is the volume adjustment? I've probably been looking right at it, but can't seem to locate it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The volume is at the top on the right side.  It's like a little... volume up and down button thinger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Like Sch. said it's a long button on the side of the Kindle on the upper right. Like the volume controls that a lot of cellphones have.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Thanks! I should have thought of that. I hardly ever use TTS unless I'm showing off my pride and joy.  ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just joined - found you on the internet when I googled '[email protected]'.  I got my K2 last Monday and LOVE it although they're replacing it because the type started fading on Thursday...  Anyway, I keep getting a message from Amazon on my device asking me to provide feedback by visiting the referenced site - when I try to bring it up I'm directed to Amazon.com.  I then query 'kindle2-feedback' on Amazon and various other iterations without success.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Where do I go to provide the feedback they keep asking for??

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
That's ok marbues - we all have those moments.  Nice to have you join us.  Why don't you go over to the Intro and Welcome thread where you will get lots of others welcoming you and you can tell us a bit about yourself.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The only way that they can make changes is if they get feedback

1 - 20 of 26 Posts