Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Because the way I see paranormal of today meaning something completely different than supernatural, my novella, Boogaloos is written with the gothic in mind.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This story is a sad, and sometimes poignant look at relationships, age, and mortality. It has a double-cross and a horrific final twist.

Postal worker Crozier Buck is suffering not only from arthritis and the threat of forced retirement, but he also lives with the memories of his wife's death from twenty-years previous.

His friend, Jerry Atkins, is concerned that Crozier won't live long if he continues to work at the post office. It's time for his friend to retire; do something different. His mind and body are far too fragile at this advanced stage.

Crozier has decided he won't retire; there's no way he's leaving the post office or Rebecca's ghostly remains behind. While he needs her memories to stay sane, he also needs the dead-letter position to prove he's not over-the-hill or out-of-date.

After discussing the dead-letter job with its retiring clerk, Crozier realizes he has an unusual gift. A talent to keep ghostly creatures at bay. And if not used properly, it could get him and others killed, in the bowels of the dead-letter office.

And, if that isn't enough, Jerry discovers that another postal clerk knows of his relationship with Crozier's wife moments before her untimely death.

http://www.amazon.com/Boogaloos-ebook/dp/B004THDUSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AZC9TZ4UC9CFC&s=digital-text&qid=1307976805&sr=1-1

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Mine fits.  Although they'll see the word 'vampire' and think not.  But it isn't that sort of vampire, or that sort of book.  It's actually about human relationships and how people end up not being able to escape abusive relationships.  The vampire bit just allows a bit more space to distance the reader from the subject matter.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The one I'm getting ready to release is a modern Gothic - lots of paranormal, ghosts, creepy characters and so forth.

The title is "Swallow the Moon" I've got a sample posted here: 'Swallow the Moon

Here's a review:

You write such a fascinating story filled with romance and danger. Your heart beats faster as you pour through the pages waiting to find out what fate is awaiting June and Eric. Cold air brushes against your skin as you sense Cora and Jake near, evil lurking wanting to destroy all in their path.

It's good against evil, broken, pieced together lives coming forth and being healed. My heart strings stirred when all June wanted was to be loved and love someone in return.

A really great read.

·
Registered
516 Posts
BrentNichols said:
I think Guido Henkel is your man. He blogged recently about how people don't know what he means when he describes the Jason Dark books as gothic. I have no links for you, but Google will point you the right way soon enough.
Yep. I have to agree. I have one of his books on my Kindle because of what he writes. Just haven't read it yet. Too many on the TBR pile at the moment. :eek:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The WIP I call an historical Gothic thriller. No idea about its commercial viability (though my agent will let me know what his expert opinion is on that). But it's a story I'd like to read. And I do this for the love, baby.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
K. A. Jordan said:
Gothic novels and fall go together like cider and cinnamon!
I agree. I've been sitting on my back porch in a heavy sweater reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and watching the leaves beginning to turn in the cemetery out back.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.