Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya everyone,

I'm having a huge problem in preparing my book for Amazon Kindle. I want to remove the spacing between paragraphs. This would have been so easy if I had MS Word, but I'm using Open Office. Please, does any one know how to remove the spacing between paragraphs in Open Office?

Kelvin

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lexi Revellian said:
Have you put your query into Google? I've had a quick look, and it seems to be a problem that others have had. Failing that, email it to a friend who has Word to change for you and send back?

Lexi
Certainly, I have googled it, but didn't find any solution I could use. I'll try sending it to a friend and see what happens.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Kelvin,

The process in Open Office (I use version 3.2) is nearly identical to the one you would use in MS Word. In Open Office, highlight the entire body of the text; I use [Ctrl] + A to do this, just as I do in MS Word. Pre-selecting the entire text is essential, and marks a difference between OO Text and MS Word; in MS Word you can choose "apply to all text" later--you can't do that in OO. Next, at the OO main menu, select Format. At the drop-down, select Paragraph and click on the Indents & Spacing tab. Half way down the dialogue box you will see Spacing. Enter 0.00" for Above Paragraph and 0.00" for Below Paragraph. Click "OK" and you ought to see the desired change appear throughout your doc.

I hope this helps! If not, post again or send me a personal msg.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Is the spacing in your document or in the HTML file.

To take out the spacing in the resulting kindle file you need to fix the margins on the P (for paragraph) tag to be zero. You can preview it in a web browser (save as html) to see if it worked.

(use style tags in the heading of the html to make that work without having to play with external css files.)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have been offered a bit of advice that I have yet to try. Cut and paste text into a basic text editor such as Gedit or whatever is the equivalent with microsoft's latest overpriced ripoff offering these days. Then cut and paste back into Open office. I haven't tried it yet. but it sounds like it might just do the trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.