Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two cover designers lined up for when I start this endeavor. May I ask the going prices on cover design?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm graphic designer expanding into cover and book design. Right now I'm charging an introductory price of $30 to $50 which is actually far below industry standards for graphic design in general.

When you contract with a designer, be sure to get details down like how many revisions, deadlines, and sizes included in the price. Are they including original artwork or are you providing that? Some designers are also fine artists, some are not. You (global you) may have to pay more for a short deadline, and certainly for more revisions than agreed to. Also look for a designer that actually asks you to sign a contract (this protects both of you!).

Finally, keep in mind that just like anything else, in general you get what you pay for. Your cover is going to define and sell your book. Going cheap may mean significantly fewer sales, especially if you get someone who is not an experienced professional graphic designer. And if you're paying an experienced designer, you are paying for the knowledge and education they may have acquired over decades, as well as their purchase and expertise with top of the line software (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)

G

·
DD Graphix said:
I'm graphic designer expanding into cover and book design. Right now I'm charging an introductory price of $30 to $50 which is actually far below industry standards for graphic design in general.

When you contract with a designer, be sure to get details down like how many revisions, deadlines, and sizes included in the price. Are they including original artwork or are you providing that? Some designers are also fine artists, some are not. You (global you) may have to pay more for a short deadline, and certainly for more revisions than agreed to. Also look for a designer that actually asks you to sign a contract (this protects both of you!).

Finally, keep in mind that just like anything else, in general you get what you pay for. Your cover is going to define and sell your book. Going cheap may mean significantly fewer sales, especially if you get someone who is not an experienced professional graphic designer. And if you're paying an experienced designer, you are paying for the knowledge and education they may have acquired over decades, as well as their purchase and expertise with top of the line software (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)
BTW--I see the Jane Austen covers in your signature-- That's good work! :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks @letswrite123. I had SO much fun doing them. I wanted to do some sample covers that would play with the tropes associated with certain genres. I like how a cover can define a book. I want to do an old fashioned 80s romance cover too, but am currently looking for artwork (I'm not a painter).

Now to get busy and do some interior formatting that helps reflect the tone of each book cover...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts