Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought I would see the day, but Jim has asked me to post a request in an accessories thread. He insists on calling it a tool, however.

He has discovered that he requires more light to read his Kindle comfortably in bed. We are exploring the options and knew exactly where to get expert advice.

He was originally leaning toward the Mighty Brite or eLuminator. He really does not want a light that can cause uneven coverage though. I remembered that some members reported that the Lightwedge gave better coverage. Can anyone who has used both give us your thoughts?

Also, we would like to see pics of the Lightwedge in use. Particularly, how the clip works to hold it in place.

We are planning a trip to the local Barnes & Noble tomorrow to look at what they have, but would like any input from actual users.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was just reading a lightwedge thread in here. A few down. It has a picture but you can't see the clip.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I got the Light Wedge and I don't like it. There is a clip that goes on the Light Wedge to make a little inch long "ledge" that will rest along the top corner of the Kindle. It doesn't secure the light to the Kindle, it just rests along the top. So if you move, the light moves. Also, the Light Wedge has a clear plastic plate that sits on top of the reading pane of the Kindle. I kept accidentally touching it causing fingerprints. The fingerprints REALLY bothered me.

Of course, these are just problems I had. I am not the most coordinated person. Someone else might not have these problems.

I am going back to the Mighty Bright. I lost my first one so I am ordering 2 more. I like that the Mighty Bright has 2 light settings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WolfePrincess73 said:
I got the Light Wedge and I don't like it. There is a clip that goes on the Light Wedge to make a little inch long "ledge" that will rest along the top corner of the Kindle. It doesn't secure the light to the Kindle, it just rests along the top. So if you move, the light moves. Also, the Light Wedge has a clear plastic plate that sits on top of the reading pane of the Kindle. I kept accidentally touching it causing fingerprints. The fingerprints REALLY bothered me.

Of course, these are just problems I had. I am not the most coordinated person. Someone else might not have these problems.

I am going back to the Mighty Bright. I lost my first one so I am ordering 2 more. I like that the Mighty Bright has 2 light settings.
Thanks for this. Very helpful.

And screw you, my beloved. :p

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have not used the Light Wedge so I cannot compare, but my son has rolled through several types of book lights before I stumbled upon the Mighty Brite.  In my opinion, the Mighty Brite is the best of them all!  AAA batteries are easy and inexpensive to replace.  The two light settings are nice.  The flexibility of the arm is wonderful and holds it's position well.  It clips to my Oberon cover nicely and works well when I read in bed, which is the only place I have used it thus far.  I have a silver Mighty Brite and my 12 year old recently got a blue on from Barnes and Noble.  They are inexpensive and very worth the investment.

Jim, I believe that this turn of events changes everything in regards to your answer to the question in the trivia game.  You are officially accessorizing!!!  :D  :D  :D

·
Registered
795 Posts
Not that I am standing up for BJ or anything, but technically I'm not sure you can call a reading light an accessory. They are actually sort of critical if you plan on doing any reading at night. Now if he were planning to purchase an Oberon cover and/or a skin then it would definitely be snowing in Hell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wisteria Clematis said:
Not that I am standing up for BJ or anything, but technically I'm not sure you can call a reading light an accessory. They are actually sort of critical if you plan on doing any reading at night. Now if he were planning to purchase an Oberon cover and/or a skin then it would definitely be snowing in Hell.
Exactly. And thank you. :)

Anyway, in another LW thread, I see SEVERAL people complaining that it isn't bright enough. Not to mention the scratch/fingerprint problem if you touch the screen. (I sometimes pick up my Kindle with my thumb on the screen.)

Comments?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Here is the Lightwedge with an arrow pointing to the ledge. The pictures have the light on, but doesn't show up much.

I'll try to take better pictures later with the light on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kathy: You have an Oberon cover.  I'd be using the classic Amazon cover.  So I'd be using it upside down to yours.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Exactly. And thank you. :)

Anyway, in another LW thread, I see SEVERAL people complaining that it isn't bright enough. Not to mention the scratch/fingerprint problem if you touch the screen. (I sometimes pick up my Kindle with my thumb on the screen.)

Comments?
I don't like them and rarely do I retunr things but this I did.

1, the plastic "lens" had imperfections inside the plastic. Little flecks and they showed up more so with the light turned on. At first I thought it was surface dust.

2, the light spreads out in a series of sort of concentric rings, or really half rings, like the ripples on a pond. The light is not "flowing" smoothly over the surface of the page/kindle.

3, just more stuff to hold on to, and manipulate with or with our the "ledge" to help.

4, real easy to get smudges etc, being a long term eyeglass wearer I am very careful about such things.

Many people like it, but it was a big disappointment for me.
Everybody is different.
But this sure wasn't usable to me.

FWIW
Eric

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Kathy: You have an Oberon cover. I'd be using the classic Amazon cover. So I'd be using it upside down to yours.
You can put the ledge on either side. You can just flip it over and go the other direction. My daughter is left handed and it is easier for her to use it that way. :)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
ELDogStar said:
1, the plastic "lens" had imperfections inside the plastic. Little flecks and they showed up more so with the light turned on. At first I thought it was surface dust.
I also had this problem and sent it back. The new one I got also has it, but not as bad. I don't think I would buy another one, but I don't really use a light that much. It would be hard to lay down and read with it. I use it more on airplanes when I fly at night, so I'm sitting up and don't have to worry about it slipping around. If I was going to read in bed, I would get a clip on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kathy said:
I also had this problem and sent it back. The new one I got also has it, but not as bad. I don't think I would buy another one, but I don't really use a light that much. It would be hard to lay down and read with it. I use it more on airplanes when I fly at night, so I'm sitting up and don't have to worry about it slipping around. If I was going to read in bed, I would get a clip on.
I was under the impression that the LW had a clip that helps secure it to the Kindle?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
I was under the impression that the LW had a clip that helps secure it to the Kindle?
No, it just rests on the edge. It will move around a lot if you are laying on your side or trying to hold it up while laying down. Hope that helps. I know my husband would throw it in the ocean if he was trying to use it. He can't sit still and it would drive him crazy.

·
Super Moderator
67,326 Posts
These may cost a little more, but if I was looking to get a book light it's what I'd look at first:

http://www.verilux.com/full-spectrum-booklights

They're full spectrum lights which means less eye strain. You can also buy the bulbs and put them in an ordinary lamp. I have these types of lamps/bulbs anywhere I tend to sit and read. . . .the light is clean and even and doesn't glare. They have a light-wedge type device. . .there's a picture that seems to show pretty even lighting on an open hard back book.

Ann

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kathy said:
No, it just rests on the edge. It will move around a lot if you are laying on your side or trying to hold it up while laying down. Hope that helps. I know my husband would throw it in the ocean if he was trying to use it. He can't sit still and it would drive him crazy.
Is yours the paperback size?

1 - 20 of 131 Posts