Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is KC and my Kindle arrived yesterday.  I stared at the box with much trepidation and finally had the guts to open it up today.  I've charged it but have a couple of quick questions and forgive me if these have been covered before but as I moderate and extremely large birding forum and, I'm on duty there I need to get to my question.

1.  I have read where the cover can wear down the battery by pressing on the select wheel.  Am I right in assuming that as long as the Kindle is turned off, there is no problem here?

2.  The two on off switches on the back.  I realize on is to turn the kindle on but should the other be left on as it was in the on position when I unpacked it. 

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
829 Posts
KCFoggin said:
Hi, my name is KC and my Kindle arrived yesterday. I stared at the box with much trepidation and finally had the guts to open it up today. I've charged it but have a couple of quick questions and forgive me if these have been covered before but as I moderate and extremely large birding forum and, I'm on duty there I need to get to my question.

1. I have read where the cover can wear down the battery by pressing on the select wheel. Am I right in assuming that as long as the Kindle is turned off, there is no problem here?

2. The two on off switches on the back. I realize on is to turn the kindle on but should the other be left on as it was in the on position when I unpacked it.

Thanks guys.
You got your Kindle yesterday and waited until TODAY to open it???!!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Oh and your questions.....

1.  If Kindle if off, the cover can't press the wheel and wear down the battery

2.  the second button is for whispernet.  turn it off it you aren't browsing amazon from Kindle or downloading anything.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hi KC! I got my Kindle yesterday, too! I am still learning a lot, too. The whispernet button was on in transit, so that purchases made prior to delivery would show up. They do say that leaving that button off will conserve battery and that if the Kindle is in sleep mode it uses hardly anything at all even though a screen saver shows.  There are a lot of your questions that can be answered by checking out the FAQ section on this forum and the search feature will help you find threads where things have been discussed. You will find that everyone here is very friendly and helpful... don't be afraid to ask questions!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
chynared21 said:
Angela said:
Hi KC! I got my Kindle yesterday, too!
Holy smokes Angela....from NJ to TX in one day. Awesome!!!

Welcome KC!!
No, chyna the NJ Kindle didn't show up until this evening and now it is on it's way back to Kindleland!! The one I got yesterday was the "replacement" shipment so I wouldn't have to wait an extra day!! ???
I am just glad that drama is over and I have my Kindle with no name!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Welcome and congrats KC! Glad to read your Kindle arrived Angela, isn't it amazing?!

Linda
Yes it is... I am having so much fun, but not as much fun as my husband seems to be having with all this teasing about wrapping it up until Christmas! :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much for your quick answers to my questions.  Nice board and it would seem, even nicer members. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My ..or shall I say....OUR Kindle arrived yesterday. Hallelujah! I have been researching, watching and waiting for the right moment to buy one. My daughter is low-vision, so I was ecstatic with this innovative, new technology. It was truly an answer to prayer. Our whole family loves to read. What a great product! I just wish the dictionary font could be bumped up also. Oh, and one more wish...that all my daughter's textbooks could be converted to Kindle. I'm sure it will just be a matter of time.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Angela said:
No, chyna the NJ Kindle didn't show up until this evening and now it is on it's way back to Kindleland!! The one I got yesterday was the "replacement" shipment so I wouldn't have to wait an extra day!! ???
Ahhhhhhhhhh....so you stalked the UPS man and turned him away ;-p I'm still trying to figure out a name too...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Julie said:
My ..or shall I say....OUR Kindle arrived yesterday. Hallelujah! I have been researching, watching and waiting for the right moment to buy one. My daughter is low-vision, so I was ecstatic with this innovative, new technology. It was truly an answer to prayer. Our whole family loves to read. What a great product! I just wish the dictionary font could be bumped up also. Oh, and one more wish...that all my daughter's textbooks could be converted to Kindle. I'm sure it will just be a matter of time.
Welcome Julie...you will just love Kindling!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
chynared21 said:
Angela said:
Ahhhhhhhhhh....so you stalked the UPS man and turned him away ;-p I'm still trying to figure out a name too...
LOL... that's what it felt like!! I have been jumping up and down all day running to the window to see if it was UPS!! I was so paranoid that I would miss him and then have to pay shipping to return it! :) I kinda wish I could track the return trip... I bet it makes it's way back a whole lot quicker than it did here!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Angela said:
chynared21 said:
LOL... that's what it felt like!! I have been jumping up and down all day running to the window to see if it was UPS!! I was so paranoid that I would miss him and then have to pay shipping to return it! :) I kinda wish I could track the return trip... I bet it makes it's way back a whole lot quicker than it did here!!
Can you track using the same tracking number they gave you?? I would have left a nice note taped to my door saying that you were refusing a package from Amazon...but exercise is always good :p

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Kirstin said:
You got your Kindle yesterday and waited until TODAY to open it???!!!!
Not everyone has our immediate gratification problem, Kirstin!

Welcome, KC. I am impressed with your self control and denial of self-gratification. LOL

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Julie said:
Welcome, Julie! Glad to have you here...!

L

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yesterday I watched and waited all day long, peering out the window in hopes of seeing the UPS truck turned down my street. Alas, a beep of the horn around 4:30 pm (just when Oprah was really getting interesting, if you know what I mean) was heard. I jumped over the kids and sprinted to the door...causing my cats to go run for cover. To my surprise, it was the United States Postal System who was in my driveway. The kind mail-lady was there, Amazon box in hand. I about kissed her! I thanked her instead and ran inside so that the kids and I could enjoy opening it together. I about cried as my low-vision daughter read the Kindle manual to me! How awesome! I took pictures of this precious moment!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Julie, post some of those pictures over in the photo thread, will you?

Glad you are here...

Leslie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Leslie said:
Julie said:
Welcome, Julie! Glad to have you here...!

L
Thank you for the lovely welcome!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts